Forums > General Industry > The pictures around you...

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

are countless. We live in a visually oriented world in which pictures are a major form of comunication. You see them everywhere you go. Most of them are beautiful and well thought out and properly executed. Some of them push boundries and make you think. Do you truly observe them? Do you ever learn from them? Do you conform to them? Do you rebel against them? Do they affect your style or approach?

Sep 13 06 06:49 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Usually all of the above Bob,Yes ,I do observe them. But when it comes to advertising and propaganda, I use my conscious eyes as opposed to the others...and you ...?

Sep 13 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
and you ...?

I use them as a barometer of change in the marketplace, something I need to stay in tune with. While change is a constant, a side effect of it is repetition. A lot of the art work on display in ad campaigns today is a rehash of styles that were used in catalog work in the late 60's and throughout the 70's into the early 80's. I find this interesting in that catalog photographers have always taken a beating at the hands of ad photographers. It's an elitest thing. I've also noticed through the years and especially recently with the advent of digital cameras that a lot of the production value in major ad campaigns is dwindling to a point and shoot style. I think this is a passing fad and the next great series of images will be inspired as they always have been. Someone will come up with something new and the others will follow.

Sep 13 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
are countless. We live in a visually oriented world in which pictures are a major form of comunication. You see them everywhere you go. Most of them are beautiful and well thought out and properly executed. Some of them push boundries and make you think. Do you truly observe them? Do you ever learn from them? Do you conform to them? Do you rebel against them? Do they affect your style or approach?

I've found that I'm inspired almost every day when I am walking around. I see so much art and beauty in the simplest things. Parts of others work somehow find thier way into my own images at one point or another, (techniques and visualizations).
my grandfather was a fantastic photographer and one of his many lessons to me was to always be aware of change and learn to adapt.
It will be interesting to see what the next 10-20 years will bring to the art/photography world.

Rich

Sep 13 06 07:37 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

I use them as a barometer of change in the marketplace, something I need to stay in tune with. While change is a constant, a side effect of it is repetition. A lot of the art work on display in ad campaigns today is a rehash of styles that were used in catalog work in the late 60's and throughout the 70's into the early 80's. I find this interesting in that catalog photographers have always taken a beating at the hands of ad photographers. It's an elitest thing. I've also noticed through the years and especially recently with the advent of digital cameras that a lot of the production value in major ad campaigns is dwindling to a point and shoot style. I think this is a passing fad and the next great series of images will be inspired as they always have been. Someone will come up with something new and the others will follow.

I find that an interesting observation and would have to agree...But I think the rehash of  the catalog styles you are seeing may be a fad as well.Perhaps these people can't refer to good old publications so thay get thesse great ideas for the advertising they are involved with from $2.00 bargin boxes full of old catalogs  lol...So many people in current pop culture seem to be clinging right now to the knowledge they possess of what vintage or retro is ... constantly looking back instead of forward.
An example of this is car  television ads and songs that you hoped you'd never hear in a commercial.
This has been going on for years.
In all types of mainsteam popular advertising (and media) I do find rehashing going on quite often , or trying to expand on an an idea that has already been beaten to death.This can be seen in major Hollywood films all the time.
I also find in advertising , a simple product ad will take up ten pages in a magazine . Perhaps the reason is that quantity will improve the whole ad campaign. To me it appears as people will 'have' to notice because it is such a vast spread.The vastness becomes the main object  instead of the tag line or images or product itself. Quantity for quality and alot of gimmick.
I just was involved in a video invite to an event  for a t shirt company that targetted a retro crowd and although the images and objects used were some what "retro" and rehashed , it still had a very fresh edge... due to editting and concept.
There is hope....

On another note I often look to photos for inspiration of movement ...poses ... I look to fashion photos to inspire new ideas for creating costumes... I personally strive to keep uniqueness and newness in my life and my creations ..but there is always some one else who has done it all before ,and 40 times  better. I view images and paintings with the same part of my consciousness that I read poetry with... or listen to music with.
I would love to see some imagery above Kubrick in film ... but who , and when ? Kubrick blows my mind........ is that possible?

Sep 13 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Images are pervasive.  I don't own a television and seldom buy magazines because I am susceptible to advertising and want to avoid it as much as possible.  Most other images that surround me are also trying to sell me things.  For the most part I don't notice billboards or posters, no matter how good they may be. 

When advertising imagery is removed, not much is left unless one spends a lot of time in galleries and museums.  Or airport walkways showing local art.

We're also surrounded by a dynamic and human world with the potential for the same visual impact.  The world is something I do see and study, rather than rely on advertising photography to translate it for me through its own commercial distortions.

-Don

Sep 13 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Ever since Canon and Co. put digital cameras and PS in the hands of everyone, and the internet put the power to 'publish' in every household, well, looking around sites like these for the last few years I'd have to say the answer to all those questions is simply no.

Which has always puzzled me, frankly. (How could people not notice them? How could they not be inspired, or get pissed and rebel, or something? How could people be so utterly unaware of them?)

Maybe there's just too much noise in our lives and we tune most of it out.

Don, I have the article written, just editing. Should something like this go in? Because I didn't touch on it.

Sep 13 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Reality shows would be fascinating if they were anything but game shows. This is something that's happening in print advertising that I like (when it's actually interesting, which is some of the time). The day all the voices in advertising think that it should all be like a James Cameron picture, I'll have totally lost all interest.

Sep 13 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Images are pervasive.  I don't own a television and seldom buy magazines because I am susceptible to advertising and want to avoid it as much as possible.  Most other images that surround me are also trying to sell me things.  For the most part I don't notice billboards or posters, no matter how good they may be. 

When advertising imagery is removed, not much is left unless one spends a lot of time in galleries and museums.  Or airport walkways showing local art.

We're also surrounded by a dynamic and human world with the potential for the same visual impact.  The world is something I do see and study, rather than rely on advertising photography to translate it for me through its own commercial distortions.

-Don

While a majority of what you say is true, I will take exception with the last sentence in the first paragraph. Either paragraph 3 is false or the last sentence in paragraph 1 is false. I believe the last sentence in paragraph 1 is false and you just wish it were true.

Sep 13 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

While a majority of what you say is true, I will take exception with the last sentence in the first paragraph. Either paragraph 3 is false or the last sentence in paragraph 1 is false. I believe the last sentence in paragraph 1 is false and you just wish it were true.

I saw that apparent contradiction, so used "for the most part" to qualify the last sentence of para 1.  Some advertising does catch my eye, generally through use of bold color geometrics.  Subtlety, no matter how good, seldom does anymore.   (Notice the "seldom" qualification here.)

Advertising, movies and pizza delivery are what America does best. 

-D

Sep 13 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

I saw that apparent contradiction, so used "for the most part" to qualify the last sentence of para 1.  Some advertising does catch my eye, generally through use of bold color geometrics.  Subtlety, no matter how good, seldom does anymore.   (Notice the "seldom" qualification here.)

Advertising, movies and pizza delivery are what America does best. 

-D

You forgot the atomic bomb and the war machine and public housing and Jerry Springer............

Sep 13 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Which has always puzzled me, frankly. (How could people not notice them? How could they not be inspired, or get pissed and rebel, or something? How could people be so utterly unaware of them?)

Maybe there's just too much noise in our lives and we tune most of it out.

My interpretation... without specific effort to do otherwise, we note only those images (or other stimuli) that reinforce our established perceptions or which are anathema to, and hence jeopardize, those perceptions. this is precisely how we survive the onslaught of stimuli. every now and then, however, there is something that does both... those need effort to be reconciled, and so require thought (and perhaps growth).

Sep 13 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

I look at a lot of material in Vogue, Harpers, Vanity Fair, POP and a few others.

I look at the ads but I dont SEE the ad, I see the image. I can describe the photos, the lighting, but I cant tell you what they are for smile

TV advertising sucks most of the time. I like well made music videos as some of them have excellent lighting, wardrobe and makeup. Others seem to be so badly done I'm amazed they get air time.

Sep 13 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

In Canada some of us live a sheltered life that is almost free of advertising. In our highways we do not have billboards except (!) when we approach a Indian Reserve. They can and do sell their space to billboards. Our Candadian Broadcasting Corporation radio is free of commercials. These two (FM and AM) are the only stations I listen to. My wife and I rarely watch TV. This means that our exposure to advertising comes from the daily newpspapers.

Every once in a while when I may watch something on TV, the appearance of an underarm deoderant ad seems to be so unreal, almost obscene.

At 65 I keep my old photo equipment repaired, I rarely buy anything or anything new and I am doing the best I can to get rid of so much of what I have that I don't need.

The images I see in Popular Photography are glossy, hyper coloured, punchy and ultimately crass. But I do enjoy the photographs (and even when I don't they are still interesting) of the New York Times Sunday Magazine.

I get more inspiration to take photographs by going to intimate baroque concerts, modern dance, ballet, new music and theater. The people I see insipire me to try new things.

The "limitations" of my obsolete scanner push me to explore new ways of creating photographs. The picture below is of Leslie Dala, a young pianist and conductor of Hungarian origin. An arts magazine hires me to shoot every year what they call the fall arts preview. I enjoyed doing this with a film camera and a scanner.
Alexwh

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/LeslieDala1.jpg

Sep 13 06 12:40 pm Link