Forums > General Industry > What are the possible liabilities...

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

if someone is hurt or dies as a result having been in a bondage contrivance in your studio or home during a photoshoot. I was talking to a model that mentioned he had a near disaster in someone's bondage contrivance or apparatus. Just curious.

Sep 12 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

WillSun

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Would there be liability issues if you were shooting glamour, portraiture, etc and your model became injured or died due to the shoot?  What if someone died because you were dabbling in bondage--whether there was a shoot or not--do you think a family could possibly sue in civil court?
I'd think anyone dealing in bondage would be overly cautious and well-read regarding safety.  A near disaster is a disaster.  You have to ask, why would a person be put into such an unsafe position when it's only being done for photography?  How real does it have to be to look real on camera?

Sep 12 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

i second that......

Sep 12 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:
i second that......

You second what? All he/she did was profer questions, not answers. You second questions?

Sep 12 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

You second what? All he/she did was profer questions, not answers. You second questions?

I second your questioning the seconding of the questions.

Anyway,  Good question.
For many part of the process is getting close to an unsafe area.
But also what are the contexts of shooting someone in the street, or in a car, or even on a rooftop which I was planning but could not find anyone for.

If they agree and even sign something,  I do believe that the person in charge, property owner, car owner, photographer,  or person doing the tying could and would likely be held responsible.

Maybe less so with page 42 of the 54 page agreement on what is going to happen on the shoot.

Sep 12 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hey, Bob.  If someone gets hurt while doing anything that involves you or
on your property they can sue and you could be hit with criminal charges even
if they sign all sorts of agreements.  Part of why those shooting in home
studios are taking huge chances even with insurance.  I'm sure in most
cases a model wouldn't sue but all of those who shoot must understand that
when you are shooting someone for pay, Test or TFP you are at risk.  Check
your insurance policies for coverage and if possible buy a insurance that will
cover you.  A little extra $$$ could really save you.

Sep 12 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Could you be sued?  Yes.  Would a court/jury find liability and award damages?  Depends on the facts of the case, but it is certainly possible.
Ron

Sep 12 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Metro_Glamour

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Doesn't membership in some of the photography associations include insurance as part of their membership?

I don't know about bondage, but there is one model here on MM that actually is into cutting the skin on her arms - for real - blood flowing!  I always thought that was a mental illness.  (There is a movie centered around the illness and the girl's overcoming of it.)  But there was the model in photos with scars all up and down her arms, cutting even more into her skin with blood dribbling down her arms.  One photographer even commented how "awesome" the scars were.  I am not being judgemental here but, taking the liability issues to heart, having a model slice her arms with a razor blade is the LAST thing I would want happening on one of my photo shoots!

Sep 12 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Any time someone is injured in or on your property, there is a potential for liability. But I can imagine circumstances in a fetish situation in which civil liability could be the least of the problems. If a death occurs, depending on the circumstances, a criminal manslaughter or homicide charge could be possible.

Sep 12 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

My gosh, if you do something risky then you can presume there will be risk of liability.

Sep 12 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

WillSun wrote:
What if someone died because you were dabbling in bondage--

Dabbling in bondage? Either they are tied/chained up or they are not tied/chained up. Sorry, I just felt that needed clarifying wink

Sep 12 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
if someone is hurt or dies as a result having been in a bondage contrivance in your studio or home during a photoshoot. I was talking to a model that mentioned he had a near disaster in someone's bondage contrivance or apparatus. Just curious.

Depending on the involvment whith the equipment and the initiation, but I general terms (if worse comes to worse) an affirmative action could be considered any degree murder.

Sep 12 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

First of all, whenever something happens on your property, whether it is a home studio or even a commercial location that you rent, you are "LIABLE" simple as that, thats why insurance is a must. . . will someone sue, maybe, maybe not. . . will they win, maybe, maybe not, it all depends on the facts, and sadly, who has the best attorney a lot of times.

That being said, if we all went through life worrying all the time about getting sued, we might as well stay home and go nowhere and do nothing.

Hey, if a person can sue McDonalds because her coffee was too hot, I would imagine anyone can sue for just about anything, right or wrong.

1)  Be Careful when you shoot

2)  Get insurance

3)  Be Careful when you shoot

Sep 12 06 01:17 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
My gosh, if you do something risky then you can presume there will be risk of liability.

Exactly,  can the model blame the photographer if they entered into a risky situation knowingly?
Hard to say which way the decision would go.

Sep 12 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

In the UK you would be seen as an employer and would face corporate manslaughter charges I would expect.

As an employer I am responsible for the safety of my staff at all times no matter what "stupid", obviously dangerous things they do and I must do everything to prevent them doing these things.

Sep 12 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

The Conclusion of the thread is:
Don't shoot Bondage, you can die/go to jail.
(besides it's just not very appealing)

Sep 12 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Fluffytek wrote:
In the UK you would be seen as an employer and would face corporate manslaughter charges I would expect.

Not true... see below... but, in any case, it doesn't matter if they are employees or not.

Fluffytek wrote:
As an employer I am responsible for the safety of my staff at all times no matter what "stupid", obviously dangerous things they do and I must do everything to prevent them doing these things.

Not only your [factual employee] staff but also contractors or anyone else, including the general public, in/on your place of business or any temporary work site on which you are undertaking work [such as location shooting]. See the Health and Safety [at Work] Act and the Health and Safety [at Work] Regulations.

If it is your place of business then you are responsible for the site [overall risk assessments, safety planning and coordination as a whole,] but contractors [e.g. a model] are responsible for their own risk assessments and safe systems of work relating to whatever they are doing there for you.

In the case of shooting bondage and having an accident it may boil down to who supplied the rigging, or who actually placed the model in that rigging, as to who has the PRIMARY responsibility for an accident... or death. But rest assured, even if the model furnishes their own, and someone else rigs the model in the gear, you would still have some responsibility in it's proper, and safe, operation while it is located on your premises.

For the Americans here, and the Canadians as well, virtually the same [safe workplace] legal duties apply under various federal and state H&S laws... though the details of those responsibilities may vary somewhat from the British model.

Studio36

Sep 13 06 07:27 am Link