Forums > General Industry > Ages of Photographers - Do we have to be over 40?

Photographer

James Waynauskas

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I'm 24... Same thing happens to me sometimes... models are always happy im younger though.

Sep 12 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Haleh Bryan

Wolf189 wrote:

Congratulations!
Based on your photography I estimate yours around 114 ! wink

Try 140! Kidding! Thank you.

Sep 12 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Before I getting flamed to death, I realize that there are many under 40 that have these qualities too.  I'm speaking in general about the perceptions of men over 40, so...

Over 40 = safe.
Over 40 = experienced.
Over 40 = understanding.
Over 40 = polite.
Over 40 = respectfull of women.

Over 40 and still married = all the above qualities preceeded by the word "very".

smile

Sep 12 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

Wolf189 wrote:

Diet and good make up is the answer! wink

(I know because we are the same age!)

No amount of make up is going to help this MUG!!!

lol

Sep 12 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I am over 40 and I never had a model call me Mr or Sir. Now just don't ask me what they call me when I go to the store and buy food.

Mike

Sep 12 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Bryce Symonds

Bradenton, Florida, US

I'll chime in too.
I've been a photographer since I was 17.  At 17 I photographed things that did question my age.  I didn't start out photographing  beautiful women.  I worked at my craft as everyone should.  Darn fwe have a natural instinct or talent for anything.  I can assure you that your not the one who does.  Take your time, Work on projects other than women, I know they are the most fun to play with, but, this isn't just about who can get the most girls naked.  You truly aren't being questioned about your age, your being questioned on your experience and professionalism.
Give it time, it MAY come.

Sep 12 06 06:03 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

31 and counting....down!

Sep 12 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
Before I getting flamed to death, I realize that there are many under 40 that have these qualities too.  I'm speaking in general about the perceptions of men over 40, so...

Over 40 = safe.
Over 40 = experienced.
Over 40 = understanding.
Over 40 = polite.
Over 40 = respectfull of women.

Over 40 and still married = all the above qualities preceeded by the word "very".

smile

How about over 40 and still single?

Sep 12 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Soma Non-studios

Emeryville, California, US

still starting out though.
i'll probably start getting somewhere in my mid-30's. bah.
i want it all now! /veruca

Sep 12 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Manfred Bachmann

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I am 44 and can life with it, i look like 42:) my Partner is 27 and so we are a perfect team for all ladies!smile
I´m glad i am not over 80 yet.
manfred

Sep 12 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

RS Livingston

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I still vividly remember the first time I was called "sir" and it was by a model. It's been about 25 years since and I still hate being called Sir or Mr.
49, next month.

Sep 12 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm 24 and yeah, sometimes I feel like I'm not taken seriously, especially when the model is older than me.

Sep 12 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

MMDesign wrote:
Yes, unfortunately, you have to be over 40. Sorry.

In fact over 50 is even better. Like a fine wine and all that BS...55 here!
Mike

Sep 12 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Aarons Lens Photography

La Conner, Washington, US

ravens laughter wrote:
I'm 32, I have only gotten the. I thought you were older speech twice.... I have gotten the.  Wow you don't look like I thought you would. Speech quite a few times... Maybe they are the same thing.

I used to have a picture of myself posted... But then I got more let's go have dinner or see a movie  than people wanting to shoot.

I tried that hoping for the same.... but it just scared people away.

Sep 12 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

most people think im under 25.  thats prob good since ill prob look 30ish when im actually 40 . 
the joy of genetics.

Sep 12 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

ATMPhotos

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm 32, and so far the majority of the models that I've shot have been between 8 to 10 years younger than me.

Sep 12 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Envious Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

No Joke... I am 24 and get the same thing all the time. "I expected you to be older".. well... I will be one day, and still doing what I do, cause I love it!!! 

I just consider myself lucky that I found the profession I want to do for the rest of my life so damn early... wether I make alot of money or not.

-CHRIS-

Sep 12 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I'm 43 and I was once a 25 year old photographer as well; in fact at 25 I'd been photographing seriously for 10 years.  Back then it was film, and darkrooms and chemicals...all the fun stuff a part of me misses.  I recently photographed a couple of models in their early 20's and it is sobering to think that I'm literally old enough  to be their father; the thing is, I don't look my age and I don't think they even knew how old I really was(one gave me 30 max).

I feel good about being in my 40s.  I was a disciplined shooter at 25 but at 43 I'm even more so. Not only do I know from experience the importance of maintianing a models trust but there is also somewhat of a protective factor because I know she is someones "little girl", and I try to respect them the same way I would want another photographer to respect my daughter.

Anyway I'm begining to ramble...my point is that if your a good or even a great photographer at 25, if you do it right, at 40 you'll be even better.  Thats all

Sep 12 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

its a double edge sword,  young photographers are considered more hipper than old farts, but when there is a lot of money on the line, it is more important that the photographer can deliver, a young photographer can scare the shit out of an art director whose ass is on the line if he or she screws up.   Young photographers need to come across as serious and knowledgeable in the business to overcome that hurdle.

Sep 12 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I thought it was because us folk around the age of 40 worked our butts off for the last 20 years to get to a place in our life where we could afford to buy toys (like cameras, pro-level guitars, 4 really good tickets to the Tool concert...but I digress....)

I mean so we can have expensive hobbies...

Sep 12 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Most models expect me to be significantly older than I am.  I'll be 29 in a couple of weeks.  I can legitimately pass for 15 or 16, though.  Some years ago it would bother me but it doesn't anymore.  People take me seriously after seeing my work anyway. 

Incidentally, last month I was in a gas station paying for my gas, standing behind a 40ish woman trying to buy cigarettes.  She didn't have her ID and since the clerk was giving her a hard time about it, she was trying to get someone with an ID to buy them for her.  The lady turns to me and asks in all seriousness "Are you old enough to buy cigarettes?"  Made my week.

Just for kicks (as if that wasn't enough) I decided to tell her that I wasn't old enough.  She believed it...

Sep 12 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

DanPhoto wrote:
BTW we 40 something photogs learn photography by NOT saying I'll fix it later in PS.

I bet a good number of 40ish photographers were  holding a heavy camera (Hassy,Bronicas,pentax,Mamiyas all medium format) at 25.

Amen to that. Not yet 40-something, but I've owned four Bronicas. Shooting rolls of twelve exposures certainly focuses the brain!

I don't think I would be as good as I am today if I had started with digital from the beginning. It's given me much freedom to do things I couldn't before, but the patience I learned from film was the greatest education.

Sep 12 06 08:52 pm Link

Model

Muse Anya

Sunnyvale, California, US

I've been warned that most photographers I'll encounter are men in their 50s, who are antisocial.

Actual:
70% of the people I've shot with are under 40
14%are women
90% of them presented no problems with communication, both proffessional and casual.

Sep 12 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

24.  I've never been called "sir" though.

Sep 12 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Vestige Photography

San Diego, California, US

I mostly have to call my models maams and mrs's. haha

im 17.

haha

Sep 12 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Many people that look much younger than they are, only do so when fully clothed.  smile

Sep 12 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

Timothy Baker wrote:
You have no idea how many times I set up a meeting/shoot with someone and they expect me to be this 40 - 50 year old guy.  I had this model the other day calling me sir and Mr. Baker.  I understand about the respect issue, however I don't want to be called Sir and Mr. Baker just yet, or maybe never for that matter......

I am 25 years old.  People have this feeling in their head that all photographers are older.  It is kind of funny when people meet with me and they are shocked that I am their age, however most of the time the person feels better because they can releate to me better being of their age range.

Anyway....... if you'd like/can, leave your age so I know I'm not the only 25 year old photographers on here as well as your opinion on this topic.  If you are of my age, do you get the same reaction when the person just assumes that you are above 40.........

I know it's a weird topic however-- I just wanted to share that all with you........thanks!

Tim

The last time I checked, none of us OLDER photographers simply were hatched as older photographers yesterday. Many of us started "way back when" and simply stayed with it. (I took an interest in photography some 30 years ago, and have permanently lost my passion for it yet.) Does that make us better? Nope.

I was involved with a group of photographers and models in the SF Bay Area for a number of years, and I ususlly was more impressed with the younger photogs coming in than the older "veterans." The "kids" brought a higher interest and drive, a willingness to try things, and a passion for learning the art and craft of this expressive artform. Most of the older ones were too busy quietly resting on their laurels and didn't serve well in this wonderful mentoring opportunity we had.

There are a number of good younger photographers I admire, and I very much enjoy their sense of vision and style in how they create their imagery. I know model-photographers in their late teens to early 20s who exhibit a good eye, and have that wonderful willingness to toll up their sleeves to build that solid foundation, grow up from it, and learn...and are wanting to challenge and stretch their own creativity. I look forward to working with them and watching them develop.

Just cuz a photographer is older, doesn't guarantee they're any better.

Richard Beebe, N Calif.

Sep 12 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

PunkHeart

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Man, I'm 45 and been at this gig for 20 years. Can't believe how fast time goes by.
Just wish I had digital back then, spent too many sleepless nights knocking out prints in the &*$% darkroom, and don't miss the stentch of stop bath a bit!
Also don't miss judging endless clip tests.

Sep 12 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

AmberLaVallePhotography

Orlando, Florida, US

Nobody has EVER assumed I'm 40.  I'm 29 and still model a bit on the side...

Smiles,
Amber

Sep 12 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

The wonderful development that I realized after 43 years is that I have grown from being attratcted to beautiful woman as to becoming more parental and big brother to those I now work with.  I have many friends with children at the age I find in this profession and I can share my experience as many had share with me in my past.  Its a fun cycle and one I enjoy being in right now...perhaps when I am old and grey, I will become a groping old man chasing young beauties.
Hey Helmut Newton never stopped!

Sep 12 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

27. I shoot with models and lenses older than me. It's not something I think about.

Sep 12 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm 35 so I guess I'm in the minority.

Sep 12 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

TeeGeeStudios

Omaha, Nebraska, US

I had a model make my day just a couple of weeks ago.
  When she met me she said "You are much younger than I expected". Later she told me she thought I was the photographers son when she first saw me. 
  I am 45 (for 16 more days), so i felt rather young and studly again................lol.

Sep 12 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I am 22 and when I was shooting my first ad campaign the head of the company thought I was an assistant. It took a little while for the AD to figure out why he kept asking when the photographer was going to get there...

just thought it was a funny story!

Sep 12 06 10:05 pm Link