Forums > General Industry > How much for 1 retouched pic on a cd?

Photographer

Tim Baker- Silver Wings

Lynbrook, New York, US

I was just wondering how much photographers charge for one retouched picture on a CD?   How about 1 retouched picture as an 8x10 print?

Let me know, thanks!

---Tim Baker
Photographer

Sep 11 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Vitaly Druchinin

Mukilteo, Washington, US

Hello Timothy,

This really depends on usage and resolution. For a model and self promotion, if testing then free at web res. If a paid test then $80 web, $120 print res.

Vitaly

Sep 11 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Timothy Baker wrote:
I was just wondering how much photographers charge for one retouched picture on a CD?   How about 1 retouched picture as an 8x10 print?

Let me know, thanks!

---Tim Baker
Photographer

As you have been told repeatedly in all the other "How much should I charge for [blank]?" threads you've started, it all depends on:

* Where you're located and what other photographers in your area are charging
* Who your client is (you can get away with charging an established actor a lot more for a headshot than a broke college student who's trying to get into modeling, for instance)
* How much goes into the shoot - do you have a studio, or are you just taking your camera and a reflector to the local park?
* What people are willing to pay

Etc... Oh, and I believe there was another pertinent quote: "If you have to ask, you aren't ready to start charging yet." Personally, I think you should charge as much as humanly possible, as anyone who would willingly pay for your work is clearly in possession of far more money than taste and should be treated accordingly.

Sep 11 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker- Silver Wings

Lynbrook, New York, US

Catriona wrote:

As you have been told repeatedly in all the other "How much should I charge for [blank]?" threads you've started, it all depends on:

* Where you're located and what other photographers in your area are charging
* Who your client is (you can get away with charging an established actor a lot more for a headshot than a broke college student who's trying to get into modeling, for instance)
* How much goes into the shoot - do you have a studio, or are you just taking your camera and a reflector to the local park?
* What people are willing to pay

Etc... Oh, and I believe there was another pertinent quote: "If you have to ask, you aren't ready to start charging yet." Personally, I think you should charge as much as humanly possible, as anyone who would willingly pay for your work is clearly in possession of far more money than taste and should be treated accordingly.

Sep 11 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

While holding pinky finger to corner of mouth slowly say, "One million dollars!"

Sep 11 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker- Silver Wings

Lynbrook, New York, US

The thing is, I've been told by a lot of people that I should rais my prices.....The response is usually something like, " that's all you charge " or " really?  that's it? ".   If I have people messaging me and calling me asking if they can do a shoot, I have to charge them, there is not an option.  It's a weird thing when you shot one of their friends TCCD and then their friend expects it to be TFCD too.   When I charge people for shoots, the fee is really just covering my equipment and gas money to and from the locaiton.  I love to shoot, however when soemone wants to shoot 20 min or more from my area.....that's when gas money is key......

Well anyway, that's all I got to say about that........

Sep 11 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Vitaly Druchinin

Mukilteo, Washington, US

Dude,

Just figure your own pricing scheme that you are happy with. Ask your self "how much would I need to be paid to keep me away from my family on a shoot" or " how much is my time worth?" 

Here In Seattle a test shoot of 1-3 hours and proof CD or prints is usualy around $300 to $500 dollars. 8x prints are usualy $25 to $50 and retouching around $60 per hour.

That said it still really depend on you, who your market is and the particular client.

Vitaly

Sep 11 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Then raise your prices by 50 % just change what you have on your website and raise them.

I have seen 8 x 10's for sale from 10.00 to 68.00 $ in the bay area.
That is just for one image not including sitting fees.

If you are having people ask for tfcd then tell them you are only taking paying jobs right now.

Not everyone expects free work, so if you are done with free work, start charging and stop whining.

Sep 11 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

How much do YOU think you're worth? If you can answer that, start telling the peoplearound you what you charge. You'll know if other people agree with you if you start booking paid shoots consistantly. If you aren't, then eat some humble pie, with a cup of reality, and reset those prices and try again.

Sep 11 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker- Silver Wings

Lynbrook, New York, US

Thanks everyone who got involved here ------

It's just a hard thing to do because people have all sorts of prices out there and then there are the models that want it for free - it's a weird industry - it really is like no other out there ------

Tim

Sep 12 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

azdave

Bitter Springs, Arizona, US

I like the " one million dollar " idea........................

Sep 12 06 12:37 am Link