Forums > General Industry > Do Clothes make the Model? better?

Wardrobe Stylist

heybabyusa

Los Angeles, California, US

The saying goes "it's the clothes that make the man" or (woman), so what do you guys think when models aren't wearing the best clothes out their to make their portfolio's better?

Where do you models and photographers shop? What could I do to make our site better?

I'd really appreciate your feedback!

Aug 08 05 04:57 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

I shop at www.victoriassecret.com, macys, wet seal, Charlotte Russe, Robinsons may....
your clothes are very sex-kitten type clothing, which is not a bad thing, its great stuff. its more nightclub wear than anything else...but its cute stuff, However, I woulld try to design a more casual/wear to work/ line. just something for everyone....

Aug 08 05 07:22 pm Link

Model

BrandonR

New York, New York, US

I think models look better without their clothing ;-)

honestly speaking, designing clothing for men would greatly improve the site...so many people want to design the next women's cocktail dress or lingerie...but when it comes to men, we have to settle for plain jane stuff.

Aug 08 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

BrandonR wrote:
I think models look better without their clothing ;-)

honestly speaking, designing clothing for men would greatly improve the site...so many people want to design the next women's cocktail dress or lingerie...but when it comes to men, we have to settle for plain jane stuff.

I’m an art photographer; seldom do anything ‘fashionableâ€?.  I have made arrangements with a couple of stores to “borrowâ€? fashion for a day and use costume shops.  Most of my clothed photographs have used casual, often very casual, attire. 

I have to agree men get short changed in the clothing department.  For years my wife has complained about my “blahâ€? wardrobe.  Most, if not all, of the men’s designer clothing is limited to young men.  IM (not so) HO the most comfortable garment ever devised for men is the tunic.  So how many men are going to run around wearing a dress?  Or kilt?

I, too, think models, male and female, look great without clothes.  That’s why I photograph them in their natural states.

....Thom

Aug 09 05 06:57 am Link

Photographer

day photography

Los Angeles, California, US

heybabyusa_com wrote:
The saying goes "it's the clothes that make the man" or (woman), so what do you guys think when models aren't wearing the best clothes out their to make their portfolio's better?

Where do you models and photographers shop? What could I do to make our site better?

I'd really appreciate your feedback!

the answer is yes!  thats why i use you guys!  now get back to work, finish up some of my clothes and stop looking at models! wink

Aug 09 05 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

er, of course.

Most modelling has some element of fashion. Whether it is to convey social standing of a commercial character or the raison d'être of a fashion photography clothes, or more accurately, styling makes all the difference.

For a model's portfolio, it is about getting above the hordes of wannabes.

Pretty girls with great figures are ten a penny on sites like this. Getting choosy about photography weeds out a lot of pretenders, more so with hair and make up. But you are still left competing against a huge number.

Ask for the whole package, great photography, great styling, H&MU and great model and suddenly the competition thins right out (on the net). If you are a model looking to go places you need all the ingredients to be right.

Aug 10 05 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It's all great-than-the-sum-of-its-parts theory.  Great clothes make models better.  Great models make photographers better.  Great photographers make hair stylists better.  You get the point.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I've seen regular people walk in my front door, and by the time they are made up and dressed, they are angels.  And when they leave, they look like regular people, but they still float.

Aug 10 05 02:32 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well some of the models I have seen should KEEP  their clothes on.  I would even consider paying them to keep their clothes on after seeing them nude.  bs

Aug 10 05 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well, a models pictures will always be better when the clothes fit the theme of the shoot. It's nothing worst then where there is a mis-match but in reality, the models make the clothes look better, especially a model that knows how to "work the clothing".

Aug 10 05 12:14 pm Link