Forums > General Industry > Talk to me about stock photography

Photographer

Photography by Seven

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

i have never sold anything to a stock photography company. How does that whole thing work. What is a good price per photo? How do I get in contact with these stock photography companies? Please explain this to me because I know nothing about it. Thank you in advance for all of your help

Sep 10 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Stay away from stock!!

shooting stock and selling it is killing the commercial market!

I've spoken with 4 ad agencies here in atlanta and in the past year their use of stock imagery has gone from 20% to 60%!!  which means that they are using less and less photographers for their ads....which means less work for the future.

sure...you can make money doing stock...but to make the big bucks...you need to be with an agency like Corbis or Getty.  and to get in with them you have to produce an insane ammount of exceptional work...which if you were hired by an ad agency woul require less shots (of high quality of course) and you get paid much more!

stock is the whore of the advertising world...don't support it!
by shooting for stock agency...you are cheapening our craft...and destroying the commercial market!

stock is for lazy untalented mediocre photographers who can't make it the right way!

STAY AWAY!!!!

Sep 10 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Seven

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Although, I understand your pain, I just wanted a little more information about it.

Sep 10 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

everything that I have read,seen, or heard about stock basically boils down to this....

You pay somebody to sell/market your work...you pay and pay and pay. Once they manage to sell some of your work, they take a hefty cut...in the mean time you're still paying them.

if you're lucky, and have a good rep you finally reach a point where the sales of your 'stock' is more than what you're paying him to sell it for you. So you're no longer making a regular payment...

Then if you're even luckier, you start to get a regular check from the sales of your images.

all this being part of the philosophy that 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Sep 10 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Seven

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

thanks, that was insightful. Any other opinions?

Sep 10 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Seven

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

thanks, that was insightful. Any other opinions?

Sep 10 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

There's micro stock...where they sell your image for like $1-$3.

But if you think about it, it's kind of a rip off....

They use your image for a magazine. That's cool, BUT you made like $.50 of it....

Plus, if you're good enough for the mag, some major marketing, and you could be shooting that stuff for real money, not those 2 quarters....

Sep 10 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Free at last

Fresno, California, US

I disagree. Much of the content needed today is for the web. Historically, site operators would just scour the net and take what they wanted; after all, most were not in a position to pay the kind of money that traditional agencies demanded for imagery. Basically, the traditional agencies completely ignored a huge market and are now paying the price for their shortsightedness (kind of like the chairman of IBM saying that the PC was a fad that would never last – IBM invented the fucking PC, and now look where they are in terms of market share – BIG LOOSERS).

Under the traditional model, the general rule of thumb is $5.00 per year per image in your portfolio (some sell well, other never sell at all). It is true that Microstock pays very little per image, however, the agency is incurring all of the costs to operate and advertise (it is completely free to the photographer). That being said, if you create sellable images it is very possible to exceed the traditional rule of thumb in terms of income. Stock is basically a numbers game. The more images you have, and the more diversified your portfolio; the more you will make.

The argument about devaluing your work is foolish, per se. The majority of people buying “cheap” images are not the kind of people who are going to pay for images in the first place unless they are extremely affordable. The very nature of the web has made sure of this. Getty obviously agrees and sees a viable place for both models – RM and cheap RF. They recently purchased Istock for around 50 Mil. Obviously, they do not have the same mindset as some of the previous posters.

Would I like to get 500+ per sale? Of course I would, but the world is changing whether we like it or not. Someone thought of microstock; a lot of people duplicated the idea; and it is not going to go away simply because we do not like it. One can either figure out how to deal with it (and profit from it) or simply sit around and whine about the “good ol days.” The simple fact is that there are thousands of hobbyists that are quite happy to do the Microstock gig – and these people are producing some extremely high quality work and making money at it. If all of the “pros making it the right way” disappeared tomorrow it wouldn’t change a damned thing –the amateurs would then simply be making that much more.

Lohkee! AKA A lazy untalented mediocre photographer who can't make it the right way!

Sep 10 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Lohkee wrote:
I disagree. Much of the content needed today is for the web. Historically, site operators would just scour the net and take what they wanted; after all, most were not in a position to pay the kind of money that traditional agencies demanded for imagery. Basically, the traditional agencies completely ignored a huge market and are now paying the price for their shortsightedness (kind of like the chairman of IBM saying that the PC was a fad that would never last – IBM invented the fucking PC, and now look where they are in terms of market share – BIG LOOSERS).

Under the traditional model, the general rule of thumb is $5.00 per year per image in your portfolio (some sell well, other never sell at all). It is true that Microstock pays very little per image, however, the agency is incurring all of the costs to operate and advertise (it is completely free to the photographer). That being said, if you create sellable images it is very possible to exceed the traditional rule of thumb in terms of income. Stock is basically a numbers game. The more images you have, and the more diversified your portfolio; the more you will make.

The argument about devaluing your work is foolish, per se. The majority of people buying “cheap” images are not the kind of people who are going to pay for images in the first place unless they are extremely affordable. The very nature of the web has made sure of this. Getty obviously agrees and sees a viable place for both models – RM and cheap RF. They recently purchased Istock for around 50 Mil. Obviously, they do not have the same mindset as some of the previous posters.

Would I like to get 500+ per sale? Of course I would, but the world is changing whether we like it or not. Someone thought of microstock; a lot of people duplicated the idea; and it is not going to go away simply because we do not like it. One can either figure out how to deal with it (and profit from it) or simply sit around and whine about the “good ol days.” The simple fact is that there are thousands of hobbyists that are quite happy to do the Microstock gig – and these people are producing some extremely high quality work and making money at it. If all of the “pros making it the right way” disappeared tomorrow it wouldn’t change a damned thing –the amateurs would then simply be making that much more.

Lohkee! AKA A lazy untalented mediocre photographer who can't make it the right way!

Daaaamn!

Sep 10 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Rich Meade wrote:
Stay away from stock!!

I've spoken with 4 ad agencies here in atlanta and in the past year their use of stock imagery has gone from 20% to 60%!!  which means that they are using less and less photographers for their ads....which means less work for the future.

sure...you can make money doing stock...but to make the big bucks...you need to be with an agency like Corbis or Getty.  and to get in with them you have to produce an insane ammount of exceptional work...which if you were hired by an ad agency woul require less shots (of high quality of course) and you get paid much more!

by shooting for stock agency...you are cheapening our craft...and destroying the commercial market!

stock is for lazy untalented mediocre photographers who can't make it the right way!

STAY AWAY!!!!

Digital photography has effectively killed the old (traditional) ''rip off'' prices and marketing methods. For better or for worse depends on your interpretation.  I embrace the new business model and micro-stock as a whole, because it allows photographers who normally wouldn't make a penny from their images, to actually make hundreds of dollars (or more) per month.  Such income on microstock isn't a rarity as some believe.

How is microstock destroying the ''commercial market''?  Just like deregulation destroyed the airlines? Shipping, UPS/FedEx routes?  In the United States of America, we call it fair competition.  Furthermore, if it was only the so-called ''lazy untalented mediocre photographers'' who were generating the bulk of microstock... then major agencies wouldn't be flocking to microstock now would they?  Getty Images sure is impressed with microstock's quality aren't they.. what corporation isn't?  There are good and bad photographs to be had whether traditional stock (Corbis/Getty) or microstock.  You know that.

By stating that non-traditional stock/microstock has led several agencies (that you talked to) to purchase 40% more stock photos due to the current stock photography business model, then you're reinforcing and implying that the fact that many ad agents/mkt depts are finding non traditional stock photos a *better* deal.

Face it, microstock has finally killed the price inflation that had been common to photography for decades.  Digital SLRs have brought a plain and simple truth to the table... *That many (obviously not all) professional stock photographs sold to ad agents for thousands of dollars and several times over (limited use rights), can often (I reiterate the word ''often'') easily be taken by a 24yr old college student and or stay-at-home mom, wielding a D2x or 1DS.  Currently, such is a large demographic of microstock.  The fact that microstock has excellent quality in its selection isn't debatable.. its already been proven by those who matter most.. Corporate Ad and Marketing Departments.

Speaking of Getty Images...  (rhetorically) Didn't Getty spend over $50,000,000 to purchase istockphoto this year???   I suppose Getty started smelling the coffee and readily understands that microstock isn't just a bunch of wanna be photographers uploading below-par photos in hopes of wooing ad departments.  Any businessperson would be crazy not to consider microstock in their corporate marketing and or ad purchase scheme.

Digital backs, digital Hassy's, etc., etc.. are dropping in price like a brick in water.  Medium format film and general (medium & large format) stock photographers are about to get a loud wake up call, as the only thing that keeps the masses from medium format digital is price...  The writing is on the wall, you can engrave that in granite.

wink

Cordially

Teila

See article:  Popular Photography, August 2006, pg. 73 ''25 Cent fortunes"

Sep 10 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Shantul Nigam

Avon, Connecticut, US

I know others have said similar things in different ways but... they way I look at is this...

If you have images at Getty or Corbis... Great for you! That is what everyone is trying to get to. Rights Managed images.

For the rest of us, microstock is the way to go. Personally, I am trying out istock with the hope of eventually going to istockpro. Always hoping to get to Getty but being realisting.. it is not going to happen unless I get REALLY lucky!

Most microstock sites pay you 20 cents per download. iStockPhoto.com is 20% of the sale (so if you sell a larger image, you get more money). Then there are exclusive programs and a variety of other things that you can do.

If you are not going to use the exclusive option, you might as well submit your work to several sites to try to get as many downloads as possible since the sites serve different people.

Sep 10 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

I'm attempting to start marketing my stock images without an agency.  I know one of my favorite profs from school does this rather successfully.  My current strategy is just partnering up with web developers (trying it out with my boyfriend's business first).  I'll let you know how it goes.  I figure it may be a smaller market, but the fact that I keep 100% of the sales may well balance out the more limited exposure.

Sep 10 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

sgordon

Brooklyn, New York, US

barely a few grains of truth to much of what i've read above. i'd refute it fact by fact, but i have to get some work done for a stock shoot i'm art directing on tuesday.

Sep 10 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Rich Meade wrote:
Stay away from stock!!

STAY AWAY!!!!

where have you been?  it isn't killing, it killed the market a while ago, frankly I think the shift was occurring in the early 90's when I was still in school.  The trick is learning how to keep viable in a world that changes moment to moment, not by waging a quixotic protest.

I know a bunch of getty shooters and one guy who works for corbis~ none of them are complaining too much, and all still shoot independant assignment work as well.  I'm actually trying to get assignment work from getty right now.  Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Sep 10 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

good points by everyone...

but I still feel that stock is cheapening the business. my main source of fury on this topic comes from professionals that I once admired...selling out to stock...when they were once high demand commercial shooters.
in particular Jim Erickson....he was an award winning advertising photographer...then his popularity waned...he switched to stock instead of striving to get back into the game.

some may say tha he's just following trends and making decisions for the future.  which is probably how he justifies it.  but what it boils down to...atleast in my mind...is he gave up...and sold out. 
if...and I guess when...I'm to the point that I no other choice to make money with my work, than shooting stock.  I will put my camera down, and walk away,before giving up my soul.

great discussion here

Sep 10 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I left you a message.

Sep 10 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey, it pays the bills!

Sep 10 06 10:19 pm Link