Forums > General Industry > Cystic Acne

Model

Stephanie Lyn Edwards

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

I know that alot of models have acne.  That is why I am asking.  I have tried everything over the counter and harsh medicines the doctors give you.  I was wondering if anyone new of an herbal or less harsh way to help with the acne?    Thank You

Sep 10 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

Proactiv  is working on my kids.

Might need Rx   if it is too difficult

Sep 10 06 09:19 am Link

Model

Stephanie Lyn Edwards

Thank you for the information.

Sep 10 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Zaldania

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I've heard from quite a few people that Proactiv works at first, but after about a year or so it stops.  Strange, but it seems to be common.  ShadowCrafter, have your kids noticed this?  When I was in high school, way back when, many of my peers had prescriptions that worked fine.
Good luck!  And if you find a cure, let us know wink

Sep 10 06 10:26 am Link

Model

Stephanie Lyn Edwards

Thanks for the feedback.  I will let you know if I find a cure or a non harsh treatment.

Sep 10 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I think the most dependable "cure" for acne is Photoshop. It's 100% dependable, non-toxic and doesn't cost a penny. smile

Sep 10 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Annia

Collingswood, New Jersey, US

There are tons of herbal remedies you could try. Which one works for you or your models depends on their skin, though. I'd reccomend either going to a book store and buying a book on natural beauty stuff or I could look some stuff up for you and give you a few suggestions. I'm an amateur herbalist, so I've got a bunch of information on it. I hate using any of the unnatural treatments because even if they get rid of the acne, they damage your skin and make it blotchy or dry and scaley. I use these cleansing pads you can buy at Trader Joe's (not sure if you can order them online or not if you don't have one near you) that are made with essential oils. They're the ONLY thing that has worked for my skin without damaging it so far.

Sep 10 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

i have no exp with proactive....as for the doc rx's, tetracyclene and biaxin have been popular...they work while you are taking them...but can have extensive long term side effects that are not good.....the docs are using drugs intended for short term therapy and using them for long term which leads to bacterial resistance as well as liver damage and discoloration of your teeth...probably not the wisest trade for a spiffy complexion......retinA is supposed to work, but i read something about serious side effects after prolonged use...might want to do a google on it and see what you can find...i have known some girls that mixed liquid vitamin A with band aid first aid gel and used it on flare ups with some success....gets rid of the infections in about 3 days most of the time...but not always.....its cheap and no real side effects aside from local drying of the skin

Sep 10 06 10:40 am Link

Model

Stephanie Lyn Edwards

Thank you to everyone so far with the feedback....

Sep 10 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Mick Stonehenge

Joshua Tree, California, US

Yr not gonna beleive this.   Toothpaste.  Not a gel, but good old fashioned toothpaste.  Try a whitener like pepsodent or ultra bright (ultra white? I forget)  Apply it to the blemish before bed, let it solidify, and the blem will be gone in the morning. I used this when I was a teenager and it worked better than anything else, and even if it doesn't work on your skin it'll still work on your teeth, so it's win/win.

Sep 10 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Annia wrote:
There are tons of herbal remedies you could try. Which one works for you or your models depends on their skin, though. I'd reccomend either going to a book store and buying a book on natural beauty stuff or I could look some stuff up for you and give you a few suggestions. I'm an amateur herbalist, so I've got a bunch of information on it. I hate using any of the unnatural treatments because even if they get rid of the acne, they damage your skin and make it blotchy or dry and scaley. I use these cleansing pads you can buy at Trader Joe's (not sure if you can order them online or not if you don't have one near you) that are made with essential oils. They're the ONLY thing that has worked for my skin without damaging it so far.

I'd love some information....

I've got HORRIBLE skin sad and nothing seems to work.

Sep 10 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

Palladin Van Buren wrote:
Yr not gonna beleive this.   Toothpaste.  Not a gel, but good old fashioned toothpaste.  Try a whitener like pepsodent or ultra bright (ultra white? I forget)  Apply it to the blemish before bed, let it solidify, and the blem will be gone in the morning. I used this when I was a teenager and it worked better than anything else, and even if it doesn't work on your skin it'll still work on your teeth, so it's win/win.

I always heard that was really bad for your skin because it dries it out so much.  Then again, what do I know about beauty secrets?

Sep 10 06 10:16 pm Link

Model

Jael M

Houston, Texas, US

I have six sisters and as the youngest I've learned the tricks they all went through for the occasional outbreak. Ivory soap is non abrasive, gentle and simple. Before bed, get a lather on your fingertip and coat the blemish. Leave it all night and it will be much better by daybreak. It has always worked.

Some good rules from my dermatologist: Keep your fingers off your face. No picking. The oil will further irritate it and even might cause more of an outbreak. Also, drink water. Sugary soda is bad news for skin. Water is the key to beautiful, hydrated skin. Hope it helps...

-Jael-

Sep 10 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

Major cause is androgens, not bacteria. No amount of washing will make acne go away. Try Diane35 or Yasmin. Two for one, you get an oral contraceptive and the acne clears up.

Sep 11 06 10:46 am Link