Forums > General Industry > watermarks / logos ...

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

i'm looking for a general consesus here ....

what do you all think of watermarking your work ... ? other than the obvious financial reasons

do you do it on every shot , all the time ...? even if you are paid by a model ...

is there a limit to what size it is , or location on the pic ...?

what do models think of logos rampant through thier portfolios ...?

Sep 09 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

Yerkes Photography wrote:
what do you all think of watermarking your work ... ? other than the obvious financial reasons
do you do it on every shot , all the time ...? even if you are paid by a model ...
is there a limit to what size it is , or location on the pic ...?

I didn't use to watermark/logo my work in the begininng but then I saw my work posted somewhere I didn't post and I wanted credit for the work which I didn't receive so I started watermarking it.  I don't watermark every shot.  It depends on what the subject is.  I don't do it all the time either.  I don't watermark pics that the model paid for.  I watermark my TFCD work b/c even though models have agreed to give me photo credit for the work, none have so I have to ensure photo credit myself.  If the photo is a model I will put the watermark in the corner.  If it's a public event then I'll watermark the center of the pic.  I've had complaints about that but I know that some groups won't allow watermarked pics to be posted so that limits to a small degree where my pics may get reposted.  Plus if someone admires my work, I want them to know who did it.  The size of watermark on model pics I limit to like a 14 to 20 font depending upon the size of the image.  If it's just a general public shot then size doesn't matter probably up to 36 font depending on the mood I'm in.

Sep 09 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Photos By Deej wrote:
I don't watermark pics that the model paid for.  I watermark my TFCD work b/c even though models have agreed to give me photo credit for the work, none have so I have to ensure photo credit myself.

I think this is possibly the correct thing to do. I have debated doing this, but in the end for me at least since any digital copy of something of mine is a scan of a print, I have not been. I work in film exclusively, so I think this may be something I will do in the future.

Sep 09 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I have no problem with them since most of my shoots have been trades or tests.  I appreciate those that don't fuck up the image though.  That means no colors that clash with the shot, nothing huge, nothing fancy.  I worked with a photographer who put a blue green signature in fancy script on all the pictures, no matter what it was.  That was too much.  Something small in a corner or running along the bottom of the picture works fine.  Then again I'm honest and I don't try to remove them either, so what do I know?

Sep 09 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

If it goes on the internet it gets watermarked.

Unless you pay for the rights to use the image.

I try to keep them smallish but large enough to not be just cloned out and stollen.

If you get an actual photolab print from me they have no watermark on front just my copyright info on the back.

Sep 09 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
I worked with a photographer who put a blue green signature in fancy script on all the pictures, no matter what it was.  That was too much.

What about the ghosted type across the middle of the image? I find that even worse sometimes. I have seem some amazingly ugly HUGE type across pictures on websites I won't name (MM) and then I have seen some very unobtrusive stuff. I just tell people how crappy the digital is compared to the actual print. I even managed to post a picture here where after I looked at it for a while noticed that I had not cleaned off the scanner, and managed to get a huge fingerprint on the thing.

Maybe I will fingerprint everything before posting...

There is also the idea of proving your image. Forget for a moment of digital and film, and think of a photographer that is using wet-plate collodion photography and photographing civil war re-enactors. He then finds his plates being sold as the real thing, as 130 year old plates. Put this into the "you think you got problems" category.

http://www.collodion-artist.com/Beware/

Sep 09 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

agrees about the diffrence in quality in digital vs a real photo lab print.
the internet makes this stuff look like crap.

Sep 09 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

yeah , i've been going smaller and smaller with mine ...

i think it takes away from the photo in some cases ... but i honestly started , because i wanted to build my business, get the name out  ... now its also so people dont copy my work ... i dont really mind if they print at home (inkjet) , but real photos , they have to pay for , and i'd like a cut ....

Sep 09 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Jeff Genung wrote:

What about the ghosted type across the middle of the image? I find that even worse sometimes. I have seem some amazingly ugly HUGE type across pictures on websites I won't name (MM) and then I have seen some very unobtrusive stuff. I just tell people how crappy the digital is compared to the actual print. I even managed to post a picture here where after I looked at it for a while noticed that I had not cleaned off the scanner, and managed to get a huge fingerprint on the thing.

Those can be bad too I agree.  I just have never gotten any that were worse than the one I mentioned.

Sep 09 06 10:56 pm Link

Sep 10 06 12:21 am Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I don't mind watermarks or anything on internet portfolios or pictures meant for the web but when i'm shooting I let the photographer know that if I end up wanting to print up the pic for my book i'll need it sent to me in hi res form with no marking.

Sep 10 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

There is a reason why department stores have security tags on their merchandise and it isnt for the 99% honest people either.  Unfortunately in this world of theft, photographers have to protect their work....small signatures in the corner dont work either cause theives just crop it off.  If a model wants a print for her book without a logo I am more then happy to provide one for her.  However if it goes on the net, it has to have my logo on it, thats just common sense!
GW

Sep 10 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

In the days of film and proofs for portrait type clients, we had a local " insert name of the chain that might sue me here" whose help would advise clients how to cut of the emboss copyright, the signature logo on wallets, or tape over the copyright sticker on the back of the print.

You can totally forget right click protection or spacers too. If it's on their screen, it can be theirs. If it's on the net, watermark it.

Honesty is dead, only you can protect your work! And, only up to a point.

Sep 10 06 09:48 am Link