Forums > General Industry > All over tan or no tan at all....tan lines ruin a shoot

Photographer

BobinAtlanta

Smyrna, Delaware, US

Since 90% of my shoots are with BEAUTIFUL  "women of color", I have not ran into the tan line thing often, but on occasion I've had models show up with tan lines....have tried to make the best of it, but nowdays I ask ahead of time if she is tan all over or completly white. One or the other is fine, but I won't schedule a shoot if she has lines....Any thoughts ?

Aug 08 05 09:06 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Most agency models are told explicitly to stay out of the sun.  One strong reason is that every shoot includes a MUA and a tanned model can create problems, especially if being paired with those not tan.

For those being assigned swimwear, tanning beds and even airbrush tanning are used that only provide short term solution.

Hang around an agency for a day or two and you will likely find the majority of models walking in are very pale.

Aug 08 05 09:51 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 
Since 90% of my shoots are with "women of color", I have not ran into the tan line thing often, but on occasion I've had models show up with tan lines....have tried to make the best of it, but nowdays I ask ahead of time if she is tan all over or completly white. One or the other is fine, but I won't schedule a shoot if she has lines....Any thoughts ?

You could always charge to retouch in Photoshop.

Aug 08 05 09:56 am Link

Photographer

BobinAtlanta

Smyrna, Delaware, US

What about the products that give "instant tan " ...any good ??? Leave an orange tint ?

Aug 08 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

What about the option of having her tan in the same suit for a week for the swimsuit photos?
I would prefer all white or all tan myself, but most girl use tanning beds and they always miss the bottom of the butt cheeks in the beds.
If your a model i think having someone check for missed spots from the bed is a good thing to do so your tan all over.

Aug 08 05 10:28 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 
What about the option of having her tan in the same suit for a week for the swimsuit photos?

If you have to shoot in more than one outfit, this will not work.

Aug 08 05 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

If you have to shoot in more than one outfit, this will not work.

Yea i saw that when i reread it. I was thinking the same style suits when i wrote that.
I never done a shoot with a girl that had tan lines but now that i think about it, that would be sucky for the photog.

Aug 08 05 10:42 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 
What about the products that give "instant tan " ...any good ??? Leave an orange tint ?

Never use that shit.

Aug 08 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Allen Photography

Beverly Hills, California, US

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 

I can't speak for all the various brands, but I know someone who used some of that stuff recently and it was caused a pretty orange looking tan. I too would advise against it.

JG

Aug 08 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

But oh so sexy is a deep dark tan all over and a pure white butt.  Nothing better.  But you can only shoot this tan shot and that is all. But damn I love that look. bs

Aug 08 05 11:19 am Link

Model

Madame Cosmos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tan lines are really un attractive.
I cant remember a time when tan lines were ever attractive unless it was some kind of tan or sunless tanner ads, Ive seen some pretty kick ass tanning ads..

But egh. Tan lines are a no for sure for me...

Aug 08 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Gary Eaton Studios

Summerville, South Carolina, US

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 
Since 90% of my shoots are with "women of color",

Since when did "white" become not a color.  This "people of color, women of color" crap just burns me up.

Aug 08 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Gary Eaton Studios

Summerville, South Carolina, US

Tan lines are just fine

Aug 08 05 11:53 am Link

Model

Madame Cosmos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Gary Eaton: 

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 

Since when did "white" become not a color.  This "people of color, women of color" crap just burns me up. 

I was going to go ahead & make that point.
Im so sick of that women of color crap.
White is a color, black is a color.

Aug 08 05 11:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

tdrmaquillage

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 

I was just about to say.  This really isn't a big deal.  All you have to do is blend it in with some makeup (not you specifically, but the model, the makeup artist, somebody).

In fact, to be more specific, Sally Hansen makes these spray on tanning products now that are fantastic.  They make some that are specific for legs (so those I use on the body) and some that are for face.  They come in different shades and they are just fantastic. big_smile

Aug 08 05 11:57 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Cestra Winslow: 

Posted by Gary Eaton: 

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 

actually, white is the absence of color...
using red, blue and yellow, you can make any color you want..except white..

and to keep from thread jacking..i actually like tan lines..i think they're sexy..even if they nudes, i think it reflects part of the models personality..so its all good..

Aug 08 05 12:00 pm Link

Model

MYA

Jacksonville, Florida, US

hmmmm..... i have tan lines....
it was never an issue with the photog's i've shot with.....
i live in florida its impossible for me not to have tan lines.

Aug 08 05 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by MYA: 
hmmmm..... i have tan lines....
it was never an issue with the photog's i've shot with.....
i live in florida its impossible for me not to have tan lines.

wink

Aug 08 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

I am not really big on tan lines, I like an even tan. However, some of the most beautiful models are from Brazil and tan lines are a big thing there. I pity the fool who would turn down a shoot with one of those beauties because of her tan lines...

Aug 08 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Wiles

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I'm happy with pale models.  I can always just increase the color temperature in my raw files to give them a nice crisp tan without that pesky skin cancer.

Aug 08 05 01:16 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

I stay out of the sun - mainly because it's not good for me, but also because of tan lines. I don't have to worry about my skin peeling, and I'm able to look pale or tan in any pictures based on the lighting.

Aug 08 05 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

"women of color" phrase is crap?  Hmmmm... Seems to me like you have a lack of "tolerance."

If the models go to the salon & get a mystic spray tan, it gives them a nice sunkissed glow without any damage from frying in the sun. It gives them a full body tan, which works great for photoshoots and lasts several days. Some salons & the systems they use work better than others. But I've seen pale models in swimwear, and it just doesn't seem to be very appealing to me. I guess I equate swimsuits w/sun/tans.

I prefer models to have no lines, and it makes the mua's job easier, cause they one have one foundation tone to contend with.

Strat

Aug 08 05 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Fortunately the local tanning salon will give my models a discount in return for me shooting brochures for them once a year.

I urge the "no tan line" policy due to potential hot spots on the model and to keep the outfits versatile.

Plus the aroma of seared flesh under the harsh lights of a photo shoot brings out the Hannibal Lecter in me.

Aug 08 05 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

BobinAtlanta

Smyrna, Delaware, US

Posted by Cestra Winslow: 

Posted by Gary Eaton: 

Posted by BobinAtlanta: 

Well JUST for you & those out there that get irritated by common terms like this, I've decided to change a word in my post.

Happy now ?????

Aug 08 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It's not that I would turn down a shoot with a model because of tan lines ... but I do not like tan lines! Either natural brown complexion or pale works better than "lines" for me.  It does make more work for the MUA. The sun is also bad for people at risk of skin cancer (like me!) 

It's easy to play with the skin tones nowadays with filters and photoshop! 

Aug 08 05 04:06 pm Link

Model

Sky Above

Can't tan for nothing....don't even try anymore...no tan lines here...white as the pasty walls I am sitting next too! Bonus I suppose it's all the same...and I can blend in with snow!

Aug 08 05 04:09 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I have tried the Mystic Tan (spray tan in a salon) for quick temporary color. I have not modeled with it, but from the opinions I got from others, it looked natural and not orange at all. Just go with the lowest setting.

Aug 08 05 04:11 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

tdrmaquillage wrote:

I was just about to say.  This really isn't a big deal.  All you have to do is blend it in with some makeup (not you specifically, but the model, the makeup artist, somebody).

In fact, to be more specific, Sally Hansen makes these spray on tanning products now that are fantastic.  They make some that are specific for legs (so those I use on the body) and some that are for face.  They come in different shades and they are just fantastic. big_smile

I was curious about that stuff! maybe I'll give it a try...

Aug 08 05 06:49 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I like being out in the sun, and in California it's pretty hard to not get any tan during the summer.  but I've been toasted since I was a kid so my tan pretty much is my regular color now.  I don't use tanning salons because they kill you.  I tried sunless once and it turned me into an orange.  Having said that, I don't really have a clear tan line anywhere from wearing different styles of swimwear.  they kind of blend in.  But I got lost walking around in the city recently and ended up with a bit of unexpected tan line along my shirt.  That was a bummer but it blended itself in with the rest of my skin within a day or two : P

Aug 08 05 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Sascha wrote:
I like being out in the sun, and in California it's pretty hard to not get any tan during the summer.  but I've been toasted since I was a kid so my tan pretty much is my regular color now.  I don't use tanning salons because they kill you.  I tried sunless once and it turned me into an orange.  Having said that, I don't really have a clear tan line anywhere from wearing different styles of swimwear.  they kind of blend in.  But I got lost walking around in the city recently and ended up with a bit of unexpected tan line along my shirt.  That was a bummer but it blended itself in with the rest of my skin within a day or two : P

My grandma died from melanoma skin cancer, and it is dangerous for me to lay out for a tan although I really do enjoy outdoor sports. sad

I am a vampire who pretty much hides from the sun or wears spf 100 sunscreen! lol  That's why you rarely see pictures of me. It takes special film and technique to photograph a vampire! We do exist in sunny California ... take a look at Michael Jackson for example ... um on second thought, DON'T!  LOL tongue

Well this is about models and tan lines ... not about vampire photographers.  Sorry for the hijack!

Aug 08 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

If you are doing a swimsuit shoot a tan looks much better then a pale look. A tan looks healthy and makes the model stand out better in the images. I would not expect a model to sit out in the sun or use a tanning bed to tan with. What works best is if the model gets an air brush tan the day before. You can't just get an airbrush tan and go to a shoot. It takes time for your skin to darken. And the tan looks good.

Mike

Aug 08 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Anyone else remember fondly the Playboy images from the 60's and 70's that showed tan lines and "white butts"?

Aug 08 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

shooterjohn

Kinston, North Carolina, US

Generally, I like no lines, but I've seen and photographed models with lines that just seemed to add that sexy something extra, gave a definition that was missing.

Aug 08 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

RP - Count me in on personally liking those 60's and early 70's shots.

I know it's not normally to the taste of commercial/glamour/etc. (today) and that's totally fine.

A big project for me in 2006 is to do a recreation of one of those sets.  If there is a retro/Betty Page world out there from the 40's and 50's - there is a whole retro/60's Playboy/Barbie Benton Generation out there as well.

Now I gotta find some bikini  bottoms with those cool plastic rings on the sides LOL - and a model that can achieve the proper two-tone look  - (glad to hear that there are more healthy substitutes than heavy UV damage)

Aug 08 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

AM Photo

Bear, Delaware, US

I stay out of the sun just for that reason, those damn tan lines!  And also because I do goth and fetish modeling, lol...  Don't think they'd like to see a Swedish goth girl looking all Brazilian and stuff, lol. Even though I'd probably look a bit more alive then... hehe

:-)

Aug 08 05 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

San Diego, California, US

I find some tan lines to be very sexy....

Aug 10 05 03:12 am Link