Forums > General Industry > Minimizing a pronounced jawline?

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

(I'm posting this in "General" because I'm hoping to get feedback from models, photographers, and stylists from their unique perspectives.)

I'm shooting for my plus book right now, which often means that one of my concerns is emphasizing and defining a model's jawline to keep it from looking overly soft.

There's a model I'm going to be shooting who has just the opposite issue, though, where her jawline is extremely definite, and I'll actually want to soften it a bit and make it less obvious.  My experience is so entirely on the other end of the spectrum that I have no idea what to do to accomplish that, though.

Anybody have any posing, angle, makeup suggestions that might help?

Thanks!

Sep 08 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Tenderizing mallet?

Sep 08 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Tenderizing mallet?

heh.  I have a feeling the model wouldn't like it.

would this be a case for clamshell lighting that way you can soften the shadows underneath her jaw by changing the stop of the fill light.  Just trying to visualize it here, but I think that would give the effect no?

Sep 08 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

S

RRCPhoto wrote:
would this be a case for clamshell lighting that way you can soften the shadows underneath her jaw by changing the stop of the fill light.  Just trying to visualize it here, but I think that would give the effect no?

I've only got two lights, but maybe I could use a shoot-through umbrella slightly above her, one behind her to separate from the background, and have her hold a reflector to open up the shadows under her jaw and de-emphasize the line of it?

Sep 08 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

minimizing shadows allows attention to be focused elsewhere. the shooting angle and positioning/posing are cruicial. strong area of interest elsewhere (than the jawline) is crucial. makeup can soften somewhat, but is more effective for drawing attention upward to eyes (for instance). hair style can be totally transforming if jawline is not TOO pronounced, and in anycase will help not make matters worse.

the other approach is to feature a strong jaw. not easy, but if its well done. wow!

Sep 08 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

S

oldguysrule wrote:
the shooting angle and positioning/posing are cruicial.

Thank you for the input!  Do you have any specific suggestions on the angle issue?

oldguysrule wrote:
the other approach is to feature a strong jaw. not easy, but if its well done. wow!

Trust me, it'll still be featured, there's no way not to!  (Which is cool, I agree, I just don't want it to be the whole defacto focus of the image.)

Sep 08 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

MUA solution: Mallet.
Photog solution: Lighting.
Old 'school' Guy solution: shoot it.
Photoshop solution: Liquify..

So many options..  I like the mallet, but I like Oldguy's more..

Sep 08 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
Thank you for the input!  Do you have any specific suggestions on the angle issue?

check your email *wink

Sep 08 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
MUA solution: Mallet.
Photog solution: Lighting.
Old 'school' Guy solution: shoot it.
Photoshop solution: Liquify..

So many options..  I like the mallet, but I like Oldguy's more..

You are so going to Photographer Hell..

LMAO

Sep 08 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Extremely defined is a little ambiguous to me.  It could mean sharp and angler, broad and square or protruding.  Each would be approached a little differently.  I generally use a combination of techniques.  Shadows and makeup can be used to the same extent to shape as a round face, breaking up the jaw line by partial immersing it in shadow.  If you fill the area to lessen the shadows, shape the jaw with hair.  Hair styles can make all the difference.  You can also use props to break the lines in the area.  Slightly higher camera angles and lens distortion can also diminish the effect.  Focus the attention elsewhere, the eyes, lashes, hair flip, compositionally etc.

Edit – I just realized this is everything oldguy said.  Hmmmm, never mind.

Sep 08 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Vance wrote:
You are so going to Photographer Hell..

Sears Portrait Studio?   smile

Sep 08 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

Ditto to the camera being higher than the model. Depending on the pose this can be pretty effective.

Sep 08 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

walk around the model, and when you see the profile that gets to you , use it.
dont light both sides of the face , then the jawline will be pronounced.
get some jewelry to distract the viewer.

get a bend over butt shot, no one will look at her face !

Sep 08 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

S

This has been really helpful.  Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone!  I'm ready to rock the jawline now.  smile

(UnoMundo, why didn't I think of that?  LOL)

Sep 08 06 02:39 pm Link

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
get a bend over butt shot, no one will look at her face !

A plus shoot isn't complete without the bent over shot...

Sep 09 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

very even lighting. light from above and below or, above with a silver reflector below. overexpose by 1/3 stop. the neck will blend into the jaw.
the effect is a little boring, so the expression, makeup or styling will have to pop.
shoot from far away and use super shallow depth of field to keep the focus on the eyes, i mean f2.0 or 2.8.

Sep 09 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Minimizing a pronounced jawline?

If you're talking about a prominent jawline that you would like to de-emphasize... how about shooting from a higher camera angle... things farther away from the camera always appear smaller... wink

Sep 09 06 12:55 pm Link