Forums > General Industry > how are you finishing ????

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

ok , i have a serious question to ask ...

what ratio are you editing you photos in ... ??

Ive always been a naturalist , and stuck to the 2:3 ratio that comes from a standard 35mm camera ... meaning printable images of 2X3 , 4X6 , 8X12 .... and so on ... but its a paint to find frames and portfolios in that ratio ... so i matte them , which is fine , but my customers often insist on 8X10 and other sizes in the 4:5 ratio (which are very common) ...

how do you all finish your work , and why ?

Sep 08 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I usually finish, right at the end...

Sep 08 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

I usually finish in 3:4 ratio

Sep 08 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Paul Johnson Studios

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Yerkes Photography wrote:
but my customers often insist on 8X10 and other sizes in the 4:5 ratio (which are very common) ...

Which is why I shoot square...

Having a digital back on a 6x6 is extremely handy. With a transparent mask I can frame for what ever crop I want, still shoot a scenic, shoot for thirds & pick the interest points, and I never have to ratate the camera....

Sep 08 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Depends on the image, the target audience, and the client request.  My personal work is almost all 11x14, though I've done a few 13x19's and I've been playing with some platinum prints in 6x9.  For my portrait work, most clients request 5x7 and 8x10.

Sep 08 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

ok , i have a serious question to ask ...

what ratio are you editing you photos in ... ??

Ive always been a naturalist , and stuck to the 2:3 ratio that comes from a standard 35mm camera ... meaning printable images of 2X3 , 4X6 , 8X12 .... and so on ... but its a paint to find frames and portfolios in that ratio ... so i matte them , which is fine , but my customers often insist on 8X10 and other sizes in the 4:5 ratio (which are very common) ...

how do you all finish your work , and why ?

I try not to bind myself to any certain ratio since it would only inhibit the creative process.
I usually work in the 2:3 and 3:4 ratios. I like the 3:4 ratio since I usually end up printing 9x12s and matting them in 11x14 matte (inch on a side). For larger prints I prefer 2:3 in sizes such as 12x18, 20x30, and 24x36 (rare).
I however make many more small prints than large prints so I primarily find myself in the 3:4 ratio.
I also find myself printing 2 page spreads for portfolios in which I have 2 9x12 images together which is really a 12x18 in the 2:3 ratio. (Split a horizontal in half vertically)

If I am doing work that will be framed I will choose the ratio based on what I plan to deliver, the composition that will work best, and subject matter. I actually plan to start experimenting more with a 1:1 ratio of crop since a well composed square image is very interesting and rectangles in the 2:3, 3:4, 4:5 ratios are more common.

So all in all, I don’t think you should confine yourself to just working with any particular crop and experiment on an image to image basis.

Sep 08 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

depends on the shot - 6x7 usually gets printed as 11x14 full bleed with minimal cropping.  6x6 either gets cropped for a full bleed or printed square with white space at the top and bottom (bleed to sides).  35mm vertical usually gets printed with white space on the sides or cropped to full bleed.  35mm horizontal gets double trucked or i probably wouldn't have shot it that way in the first place.

Sep 08 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

or , do i finish it the way ive been (2:3 to keep my naturalist attitude) , and force them to comform to me ??? is that rude ?

i mean , most of the time , my work needs no cropping , the way you see it is the way i saw it in the viewfinder .... and thats what i wanted from inception of the shot .... so should i just hold my ground , or conform to "standards" ....

thanks all for your input ...

Sep 08 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

You don't have to conform to anything. Go with your own personal vision.
If you are working with other people on a collaborative basis or are hired by a client you may be asked / told to reconsider your cropping.
I also try to figure out what the image will be used for / how the image will be used so I may take that into consideration when photographing.

When people change their minds is when it gets complicated… lol

Sep 08 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

to the OP..if you think you are making art then print for what you see. if you are being paid to shoot, find out what the client wants and shoot appropriatly. Pretty simple.
Mike

Sep 08 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

its not quite that simple ... i understand what you are saying , but ....

the fight is a fight between my eye , editing , final image  , and rediting that image to satisfy a customer who pays my bills ...
doesnt neccesarily satisfy me ...

Sep 08 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

If the customers are insisting on/asking for traditional sizes, that is what we should be doing. The primary, most basic principle in business "The customer is always right".

Just my 2 cents

Wade

Sep 08 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm not a professional photographer -- I am an arteeest!

Seriously.  I choose the cropping ratio that satisfies my sense of composition for that particular image.  I particularly like long & narrow ratios, but I've been known the use ratios that are more conventional.

Speaking personally -- I'm not a big fan of creating square format negatives, because very few of my images wind up cropped square or close to square.  I work in 6x7, so I have less wasted space on the negative.

Sep 08 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

i agree with looknsee 100% ....

heres the tough part ....

the customer says , i'll take two 8X10s ....

do I say ... OK .... or , No ... that can only be printed in 8X12 , meaning they'll have to get new frames , and/or matting ... meaning either more money on display so less on prints ??? so i lose profit ?

Sep 08 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Paul Johnson Studios wrote:
Which is why I shoot square...

Having a digital back on a 6x6 is extremely handy. With a transparent mask I can frame for what ever crop I want, still shoot a scenic, shoot for thirds & pick the interest points, and I never have to ratate the camera....

voila! The best way to go if you don't already know the specific application and size.

Sep 08 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

i agree with looknsee 100% ....

heres the tough part ....

the customer says , i'll take two 8X10s ....

do I say ... OK .... or , No ... that can only be printed in 8X12 , meaning they'll have to get new frames , and/or matting ... meaning either more money on display so less on prints ??? so i lose profit ?

You should not lose profit unless they talk your price down in the sitting fee, print fees, or framing fees.

Do what a good sales person would do.
Gently persuade them into the 8x12. Explain to them that if you were to crop the image to an 8x10 it would not look nearly as good as it does now. An important question arises, do you help them with framing selection and obtaining the frame (i.e. Do you have a framer that you go to for frame orders that you mark-up to your clients?)? If you do your own framing, I think it’s safe to assume that you carry several frames that you mark-up as well as charge for the labor required to put it into the frame, cut the matte, etc.

If they insist on a smaller size then print an 8x10 with whitespace so the image is still in the same ratio, and have that framed. All you’ll need is another matte.

So all in all, you may not get the better sale but there is no way you should lose profit.

Sep 08 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Unless the context of the image just can't handle it, I crop for an 11 x 14 print's ratio. This way, the image is consistent between paper and web. Otherwise with different porportions, different crops, it's a different image.

John

Sep 08 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Michael_Creagh

New York, New York, US

Hey Yerkes

We all face this, and the best thing to do is just to take it on a case by case basis.  You don't want to stifle your own creativity by deciding on a particular format always.  We crop all the time for a variety of reasons.  35mm or 6x6 square (which I shoot sometimes) does not fit ANY format (11x14in for portfolios, 9x12 for models, 8.5x11 for magazines or 8x10 for frames).  I really don't even know why we shoot in that format.

If your client wants it 8x10, fine.  Why should you care?  For all you know they care more about the anitque frame their grandmother gave them then the photo that is going in it.

I think at the heart of this is the hope to tell the client that they are wrong.  Not possible.  the best you can do is try to explain the ratio thing and explain the photo either has to be cropped and some image area lost or it needs a border, and this has nothing to do with you personally but the way perspective and format works.

In the end print it differently for yourself.  If you can be persuasive and show them they would be better off with a different format.  Cool and good for you and them.

Best of luck
Michael
http://michaelcreagh.com

Sep 08 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

thanks everyone for the comments ... your input is appreciated and helpful ... and thanks for no "your stupid" comments ....

Sep 08 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

hey matt ,
  you are stupid for  not typing "you're stupid" or "you are stupid" .... "your stupid" is just incorrect and , well , stupid ....

Sep 08 06 02:47 pm Link