Forums > General Industry > Educating the wanna-be models...

Photographer

Michael_Creagh

New York, New York, US

I work with all the right models and some of the wrong ones and I think Michael Barret has hit on a lot of common complaints.  I am pretty sure that this was his point, not why it (or all those things) only happen to him.

It is not just the bad models.  Good agency models flake sometimes when you make the connection on the internet.  They just think you can reschedule it and the makeup too.  They never understand when you say that was it, you missed your chance to shoot.  Next week doesn't work for me.

Most have no idea what it is like to be a photographer, how the industry works, what opportunities are good and bad...  And there is no real educationg process that we can do.  I mean how many years have you been doing your business...the turn over rate in modeling is so high, that half the guys and girls you contact have zero to two useful shoots behind them.

Don't get me wrong.  I shoot girls and boys off the internet all the ime and have loads of great experiences and met some great models.  I just take the "zen" policy.  If somebody doesn't show, so what as long as I didn't have makeup/hair or styling out.  But then again I NOW NEVER book makeup/hair/styling for TFP EVER EVER and models wonder why.  For professional work, it is 100% agency models, no real exceptions.  And good hardworking realible, internet models want to know how to get castings from me, and it isn't possible.  Too many unrealible models ruining it for the good ones.  When a model from the agency doesn't show for some reason, you call the agency and it is sorted out within an hour.

Best of luck
Michael
http://michaelcreagh.com

Sep 08 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Sep 08 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

We've stopped shooting TFPs because of this problem.  However, we offer a discounted price to models who want or need images for their port - of we sometimes offer an invitation to shoot.

That's eliminated our 'no-shows' to virtually zero.

It's a real world out there.  Models: teach your sisters and brothers the difference between what a 'professional' model (whether an 'internet model, as some call it or a real published known 'professional model') and the wannabe models.  If modeling is a career,then think in terms of any other career. You don't show up for work, you get fired. 

I love working with an experienced model, who knows the importance of being on time, being ready, and turning it on when the camera starts snapping.  They are excellent to work with - just wish there were more.

That said, without our models, who do literally work their butts off to get the right shot, most photographers on here would be shooting nature shots or something. 

Got to love the models.

Cheers, Tim

Sep 08 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

just a response..
i respect every single one of my photographers.
just wanted to let you know, i've never gotten the cd's the next. only once before that, but that was only because she was uploading them the same time as we were shooting the pictures.
i really don't think all models are like that.
i've always gone through, got a basic outline of the shoot, showed up on time (or called to let them know i'd be late), and we threw stuff into the shoots. didn't change anything the ideas or the shoot in any manor.
i'm sorry you've had to experience such things, all the time apparently.
i thought all models followed these basic rules of respects and manors.

Sep 08 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

i just finished reading the whole thread,

i love this place.

Sep 08 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

wow, all the things u are bitching about are all the obstacles i saw too, but i just put my head down and worked thru it all without bitching, and life is so much better now smile

Sep 08 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Sky Above

Ooooompa looompa zippidy do.......I love that song

Sep 08 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

gavin oneill wrote:
wow, all the things u are bitching about are all the obstacles i saw too, but i just put my head down and worked thru it all without bitching, and life is so much better now smile

just one more reason I love Gavin.

Continue.

Sep 08 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Some very valid points wrapped in some personal feelings...I feel your pain...I wont bother offering a bunch of advise other than..

Hang in there, set up some guidelines and stick to a plane, things will work out in the end.

Anytime you add people to an equation you are bound to run into problems. Such is life.

Best wishes..

Vance

Sep 08 06 01:42 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Man, it's not models you're describing, that's just women.  Trust me, I'm married to one.

Here now!  Don't lump us all together...some of us are actually pretty unassuming and easy to get along with.  Of course I'm just 18, so maybe I need to talk to some of these models you are talking about to see where I can get some of that attitude!  ;-)   I have been extremely appreciative of all of the photographers I have worked with whether they were tfp or paid and was very flattered that they wanted to work with me.  A lot of those photographers are now close friends.  I think modeling is fun and is a much better job than flipping burgers to make money for college.  I usually have to drive 4-5 hours each way for shoots (or farther) and am glad to do it.  If it's not fun anymore, I will quit, plain and simple.  Maybe you should just be more selective about who you work with and I think it really helps to talk alot before the shoot and have all those details worked out so there aren't so many surprises.

Sep 08 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
I must be simple minded or something......I keep seeing these threads and wonder why I never have problems like this.

Here's how it works for me...

I either contact a model or she contacts me.

We set up a preshoot meeting to discuss what we're going to do.

We do the shoot.

I edit out all the technical mistakes, closed eyes and wierd looks.

I call the model and schedule a preview.

We both go through the edited shots.

She picks her favorites, I pick mine.

She gets her agreed upon hard copies and a CD of the shots we both selected.

Everyone goes happily their own way.

I never have any of the problems, drama or complaints I keep reading about....do I ever have models cancel....yes,....have I ever cancelled....yes.....cancellations are just one fact of business not a reason to end your life......

AMEN!
Case closed!

Sep 08 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

You think that is fun. You should work with one that has a publicist. Different level of HELL altogether!

Sep 08 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Michael Barrett wrote:
The many lenghty conversations just to set up a shoot. Hello...we're not Dr.Phil!The rescheduling of our private/work schedule to fit hers?

Lengthy conversations to set up a shoot? Most photographers WANT to take the time to at least talk on the phone with the model they're shooting. Maybe if you actually took the time to talk to the models you'd be shooting with, they'd be less likely to flake out on you. It's a way for you to see how serious and committed we are, and for us to make sure how legit you are (there ARE scams and perverts out there)
Rescheduling your schedule? It's about comprimise on BOTH sides and meeting in the middle. We're well aware that you have a private life and work; we have these too! Believe it or not, we don't just sit around on our butts looking pretty all day *surprise,surprise*

PS- I always make sure to be courteous and respectful to everyone

Sep 08 06 09:34 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Michael I understand your side.  It's hard to stay in this business when jobs and models aren't pounding down your door all the time.  Sometimes you have to take what you can get.  I have a handful of photographers I work with. And it's hard to find steady work all the time.  Too dam many of us.  And like I've said over and over, we sell hope.  And sometimes we dam well know better then to except a wanna be to shoot cause we all know they have no business in our business. But the agency sent him or her, they are a friend of a friend, etc...  Figure out where you spend most of your time.  Trust me, I bet your giving way too much for what they pay.  Sometimes it's better to eat rice and beans to keep your self respect then be pulled around by the nose only to be left with only the rice at the end.  The word for the day is NO. Let's all say it together.  NO.  Good luck.  R-

Sep 09 06 07:12 pm Link