Forums > General Industry > Magazine Release

Photographer

Taboo Motel

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Seems a model that I shot test with has gotten next to a magazine that wants to publish a few of the images we created. I recieved an email from the publisher that provided no explanation other than a release that gives them unlimited rights to non specific images. The model's name is in the subject bar of the email...thats the only way I know who this pertains to. No notice from the model or nuthin...This fish stinks! or is this just standard work free for a tear sheet?

Sep 07 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'd give a magazine first print rights on an image for free.

If it was a good magazine.

And they asked politely.

If they asked for unlimited rights (as in, an unrestricted perpetual copyright license) for free, I'd politely tell them that they could have first print rights for free.

Otherwise, I'd tell them to fold their release until it was all corners, and...

You get the picture.

M

Sep 07 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Solomage wrote:
Seems a model that I shot test with has gotten next to a magazine that wants to publish a few of the images we created. I recieved an email from the publisher that provided no explanation other than a release that gives them unlimited rights to non specific images. The model's name is in the subject bar of the email...thats the only way I know who this pertains to. No notice from the model or nuthin...This fish stinks! or is this just standard work free for a tear sheet?

Only if you think it's standard to give unlimited rights to non specific images away for free.

Negotiate a proper licensing fee or walk.

EDIT: The above works well too.

Sep 07 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

StMarc wrote:
I'd give a magazine first print rights on an image for free.

And they asked politely.

M

Usually, because I work in Europe, and the magazine market is fragmented along either territorial or language lines or both, I narrow that down to first English language world wide [or first English language UK; or first English language EU to restrict the territory] print rights; and limit it to single use in one print edition; [no reprints; no foreign language editions; no web use; no sublicensing; and, if restricted, no out of territory (paid) distribution.]

OTOH they are also going to tell me what image(s) they want, too. I edit in advance so they don't necessarily ever see the full shoot... but rather only a small selection from which to choose ONE.

If they want anything else, especially for free, they can come back and ask.

Studio36

Sep 08 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

studio36uk wrote:

Usually, because I work in Europe, and the magazine market is fragmented along either territorial or language lines or both, I narrow that down to first English language world wide [or first English language UK; or first English language EU to restrict the territory] print rights; and limit it to single use in one print edition; [no reprints; no foreign language editions; no web use; no sublicensing; and, if restricted, no out of territory (paid) distribution.]

OTOH they are also going to tell me what image(s) they want, too. I edit in advance so they don't necessarily ever see the full shoot... but rather only a small selection from which to choose ONE.

If they want anything else, especially for free, they can come back and ask.

Studio36

co-signed
bolding added for emphasis

Sep 08 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

oldguysrule wrote:
co-signed
bolding added for emphasis

Usually delivered under a "break seal delivery memo" like this one... there are several flavours of this form for different circumstances:

LINK- stock photo delivery memo

Studio36

Sep 08 06 03:52 am Link