Forums > General Industry > should i just move on?

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

Hi Guys/gals!

ok I am a little frustrated with an Agency, but I don't intend to rant as I know thing's don't always pan out as we hoped and I want to remain grown up about it.

I sent them shots as requested, was then called in for an interview, the interviewer spent most of the interview on the phone.He told me to get some head shots done to sign me up with, I was not asked for money which was good.I contacted a photographer who would like to shoot and requested I ask the Agent about type of shots they wanted etc.The Agency have not got back to me despite my emails/ voicemails???? so the shoot is on hold.I cannot understand this behaviour.

I have heard some information from people who also have had the same treatment from this same Agency, not my situation but messing photographers around regarding sending models along.

Why would you want someone on your books, and when that person asks for feedback as to your shot requirements, you drop off the face of the earth? If they wanted money up front and I said no, then I would understand it.

This agency is in Toronto, no names mentioned.Id be curious to hear from others with the same problem possibly, it's a small world.Are this Agency not thinking of their reputation ?which is precious as we all know.

Horsewoman.

Sep 07 06 11:57 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I'm no expert, and certainly in no position to be walking into an agency. . .but. . .here's my take on it:

If the agency is consistent in getting models paid work, then just get the pro headshots taken and leave them w/the office as they requested.  If they're not what they want. . .they will probably tell you.

If the agency isn't considtent in getting models paid work, but instead have a reputation for stringing models along. . .then find a different agency to represent you.

Sep 07 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

Don't be in such a rush to dump the agency.  Agencies have a lot to do and usually have very little man-power to do it.  I would be more annoyed at your photographer.  If he is working with the agency regularly he should know what type of images they want.  If he isn't sure what they want than HE should be picking up the phone and speaking to them about you. 
Clearly you are more commercial than fashion so that's a no brainer.  If it's an acting headshot than he should just do a mix of things and see what the agencies like best from the contact sheets. 
Did they only give you one photographers name to work with or did they give you a list to choose from?  Maybe you should try someone else...
Best of Luck!

Sep 07 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sep 07 06 05:11 pm Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

The photographer has no connection with the Agency, I was contacted by him a while back.

I have still heard nothing and I am not calling again, they know where i am.There are many more fish in the sea, I don't need to beg any agencies /photographers smile enquire but not beg.

H

Sep 09 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

they told you want they want.....headshots, period! if your Photographer Doesn't know what they want, then it's time to find a different photographer!

headshots are headshots, regardless of what they're for....

sorry if this sounds short...but most agencies are very busy and short staffed, they don't have time for someone who hasn't a clue...

Sep 09 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

horsewoman wrote:
Hi Guys/gals!

ok I am a little frustrated with an Agency, but I don't intend to rant as I know thing's don't always pan out as we hoped and I want to remain grown up about it.

I sent them shots as requested, was then called in for an interview, the interviewer spent most of the interview on the phone.He told me to get some head shots done to sign me up with, I was not asked for money which was good.I contacted a photographer who would like to shoot and requested I ask the Agent about type of shots they wanted etc.The Agency have not got back to me despite my emails/ voicemails???? so the shoot is on hold.I cannot understand this behaviour.

I have heard some information from people who also have had the same treatment from this same Agency, not my situation but messing photographers around regarding sending models along.

Why would you want someone on your books, and when that person asks for feedback as to your shot requirements, you drop off the face of the earth? If they wanted money up front and I said no, then I would understand it.

This agency is in Toronto, no names mentioned.Id be curious to hear from others with the same problem possibly, it's a small world.Are this Agency not thinking of their reputation ?which is precious as we all know.

Horsewoman.

Have you ever met with anybody from the Agency in person? Or was yours an unsolicited call where they advised you to get some professional head shots? If that's the case, I can't imagine the Agency said "get some head shots done to sign you up with." If you've never met in person you're one of many interested in getting signed. Agencies have no shortage of interested models and are extremely busy...and a way to be polite just in case you are what they're looking for is to say, "get us some head shots."

And to be honest, their reputation isn't in jeopardy if they're legit but just not interested. A model, unless your Kate Moss, can scream to the heavens about how unfairly she's being treated but the next model may be perfectly suited for the Agency's needs and get signed. Not receiving a call back from an Agency isn't unprofessional, it's business. They'll call if they are interested and it benefits them.

Sep 09 06 02:26 pm Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

Yes I met them in person, they called me and invited me along and wanted to sign me smile they must of changed thier minds, no problem, I just get up and start again, and I am not screaming my head off either, no need , I just put it down to experience smile

Thanks everyone for the advice!

H.

Sep 09 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

I am not understanding why your photographer does not know what this agency is looking for.  It is not hard to find out.  Either look at the headshots on their website (assuming they have one), or just go in to obtain some compcards to get an idea.  Didn't the agency tell you which photographers they work with, who know exactly what they want and can deliver something they can work with?

Agencies, like a few have already said above, are busy and usually understaffed.  It is very unlikely that they will be able to give you specific attention.  If you are not paying the photographer, just go have some images done, then bring them in to the agent and see what they say.  In the agency world, you need to work with them, they do not serve you, they serve the clients.

Sep 09 06 07:34 pm Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

um yes I have been trying to work with them ie calling , emailing as I have mentioned already.

I don't expect special treatment, just some feedback.The interview was rather rushed as the interviewer was busy.I left thinking darn I should of asked this and that.

Maybe it's simply not meant to be, who knows.

Anyway, keep the advice coming , I realy appreciate it smile

H.

Sep 09 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

uuummmmmm.... i'm gonna get hated on for saying this, but

headshot is pretty self explanitory! Headshots should show you at your most beautiful.

Forget art or makeup example shots, those don't market YOU, art shots market the photographer, makeup examples market the MUA. The shots you need to submit to an agency should show YOU and YOUR TALENT, and help the agency markt YOU.

Sep 10 06 01:36 pm Link