Forums > General Industry > How many times ...

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

How many times do you attempt to contact a model who doesn't respond?  I generally contact them once then, if they don't respond, assume they're not interested in working with me.  However I know a model who often gets contacted seven or eight times by the same photographer before they give up on her (I have pointed out that she could stop that by simply responding with a "no thanks", but that's a different thread).

Anyway, my question is, how many of you interpret no response as no interest and, for those who are persistent, does it pay off or do you just eventually give up?

Aug 07 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

What drives me berserk is when THEY express interest, you answer with a proposal and.................., you never hear anything again. Some have expressed paranoia that the models are stealing your idea only to shoot it with someone else. I doubt that's the case in my situation since my ideas are just beginning to develop.

Aug 07 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I apply the California 3 Strikes law.

With some beauties, 20 or more. lol

Aug 07 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Once. But that probably would be different if I were in Alaska instead of New York.

Aug 07 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

I always ask them to let me know either way if they are interested or not and many times I still don't get a reply.

I'm not chasing models, it's not worth it. If they don't have the courtesy respond the first time why risk getting a Prima-donna on the set.

No response, no problem.

Aug 07 05 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

I also ask them to let me know either way but I only give them one chance if I don't hear from them after a few weeks then I write them off and will not work with them.

Aug 07 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

As my oft-harrassed model friend just pointed out, there's an obvious corrollary to  my question:

Models, if you don't respond does that mean you're not interested? What message is sent when a photographer e-mails you seven or eight times before giving up?

Aug 07 05 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by Tim Hammond: 
How many times do you attempt to contact a model who doesn't respond?  I generally contact them once then, if they don't respond, assume they're not interested in working with me.  However I know a model who often gets contacted seven or eight times by the same photographer before they give up on her (I have pointed out that she could stop that by simply responding with a "no thanks", but that's a different thread).

Anyway, my question is, how many of you interpret no response as no interest and, for those who are persistent, does it pay off or do you just eventually give up?

I stop at one. If they are interested they will reply. There are plenty out there to choose from. Why keep emailing them 5,6,7,8-10 times or more. That should tell you one of a couple things: 1 being she is not interested, 2 being she may be too busy or too unorganized to get back to you.
Move on to other models.

Aug 07 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

I'll send 2 emails.. Let's face it, crap can get lost in cyberspace as easily as the post office.. HOWEVER, the second one clearly states to let me know either way as a professional courtsesy...  As someone already said, sometimes you still get squat.. Time to move on..

But as for your friend, and other models, responding should not be seen as a chore but as an act of professionalism.. And for all the excuses I've heard about getting so many emails and not having time to respond, make up a form letter and copy and paste!!  So with all due respect, if your friend can't take a minute or so to say no thanks or make up a form letter, she's not very professional in my book..

Aug 07 05 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Posted by Keith aka Wolfie: 
So with all due respect, if your friend can't take a minute or so to say no thanks or make up a form letter, she's not very professional in my book. 

I agree.  She does too, but says she doesn't care because modeling is just for fun.  Her profession is space physics (she's working on her dissertation, so she's not kidding).  I tried a few times to convince her that professionalism doesn't have to be reserved just for your primary profession, but now we've just agreed not to discuss it any more. But, as I said, that's another thread.

Aug 07 05 10:21 pm Link

Model

Daphne G

New York, New York, US

Posted by Andre Knudsen: 
I'm not chasing models, it's not worth it.

My boyfriend is a photographer and always says the same exact thing.  He says that there are too many of us running around to expect that a photographer will be chasing after us (not his words exactly, but that's the general gist of it).   

Also, I believe that he simply treats models as one would treat any potential employee.  Job-seekers, for example, are generally expected to express clear interest in opportunities.  When a job-seeker doesn't express a clear interest, then he/she is typically passed over and the person who does desire the opportunity is given greater consideration. 

Aug 07 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

UnivModels

Long Beach, California, US

When shooting "tfp" if I don't get a responce I assume there is no interest, and I don't plan another contact.  I don't know how many photogs use labs v. doing film 'inhouse', but for me it's to expensive to chase those who aren't interested.  I still shoot film, then have it digitized

Aug 08 05 03:22 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Personally, if I don't respond to a message right away, I'm probably not interested. I do try to respond to all of them, but it's not always possible - especially when I'm trying to schedule shoots I have a real interest in. If I get another message back from a photographer whom I have yet to respond to, I will let them know 'yes' or 'no'. I try to be as nice as possible and give everyone an answer, but I know that if I have problems, I'm sure more professional models have it much worse. On top of all of that, there is no way to organize our messages in our message folder, so we forget!!

Aug 08 05 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Posted by Tim Hammond: 

Keep trying as often as you are interested.  I feel horrible, but I've gotten busy enough that I contacted a girl TWICE and BOTH times she confirmed her interest.  But I got so freakin' busy and it's been MONTHS now.

Aug 08 05 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Posted by Tim Hammond: 

Anyway, my question is, how many of you interpret no response as no interest

its like dating, if there's no networking connection, then there's no setup. generally for a free (TFP) situtation, i kinda feel like whoever it is thats initiating should only draw interest once, and thats it. if the person didnt respond the first time, then its a message being sent. i can understand if its networking involved and it just keeps getting pushed back beacause people are busy, but thats about it.

if you have to keep contacting somebody to set up something (both sides), why should you believe that the person is going to show up at all? if they cant even respond to a 10 second email, then they cant cut the mustard beyond.

Aug 08 05 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

d30john

San Diego, California, US

Mostly once. On very rare occation I will do it twice.  Never 3 or more.  Don't want people to think I'm a stalker.  With that said, I think it's rude when models don't reply.  Either "no thanks" or "I have change my mine" would be courteous.  It's not much to ask.

Aug 08 05 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

because some models can't read ...

Aug 08 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
What message is sent when a photographer e-mails you seven or eight times before giving up?

Spam or stalker?

Aug 09 05 02:56 am Link