Forums > General Industry > Is honesty ALWAYS the best policy?

Photographer

ert3006

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I mean, sometimes it is Waaaaaaaay eaisier to lie...

Sep 06 06 10:29 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

in this industry or in general?

no. honesty is not always the best policy. I get in trouble for telling the truth all of the time.

If you're talking about this industry...I'd say 99% of the time it is the best policy. It may not be what someone wants to hear, and it may fall on deaf ears, but it's best to be straight and honest. What good would lying do?

-D

Sep 06 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

Policy of Truth (on Violator by Depeche Mode) says it all.
Bottom line - no way lol

Sep 06 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Yes!

Sep 06 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

pretty vague question without a situation as reference, but in general i dont like to lie, simply coz remebering your lie is one more piece of space used up in your head which u cant utilise for creating pictures....
the best test for seeing if 'the truth will set u free' is to stop lying.

Sep 06 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

ert3006

OK lets give it some context:

you're setting up a shoot with a model.  she is the only model willing to do the propsed shoot, lets say a public nude thing.  now she may have an unflattering backside.  do you lie, and tell her her ass is great and keep shaking it, or do you tell the truth?

Sep 06 06 10:44 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Diplomatic truth is an ideal,
If you stink at that then just be blunt,
If you are not up to that, then try the backhanded slap.

Sep 06 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

ert3006 wrote:

you're setting up a shoot with a model.  she is the only model willing to do the propsed shoot, lets say a public nude thing.  now she may have an unflattering backside.  do you lie, and tell her her ass is great and keep shaking it, or do you tell the truth?

You don't have to destroy her self esteem, and at the same time you dont have to lie to her.. You just tell her you prefer her front... period.. you are not lying and you are not telling your your ass is nasty... there! No need to lie!

Sep 06 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

ert3006 wrote:
I mean, sometimes it is Waaaaaaaay eaisier to lie...

I think people use the term "honesty" too broadly.

To me, honesty is not lying.

Some people take "honesty" further, to mean complete and full disclosure. But sometimes I think it's appropriate to hold our tongues and not tell someone everything we know and think. To me, this isn't dishonest.

For example, if you are a salesperson at Macy's, and a customer is trying on a dress and asks you if it fits, it would be dishonest to tell here that it does, when it clearly doesn't. On the other hand, if you tell her it looks like shit on her, it may be honest, but inappropriate.

Sep 06 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

ert3006

bang bang photo wrote:

I think people use the term "honesty" too broadly.

To me, honesty is not lying.

Some people take "honesty" further, to mean complete and full disclosure. But sometimes I think it's appropriate to hold our tongues and not tell someone everything we know and think. To me, this isn't dishonest.

For example, if you are a salesperson at Macy's, and a customer is trying on a dress and asks you if it fits, it would be dishonest to tell here that it does, when it clearly doesn't. On the other hand, if you tell her it looks like shit on her, it may be honest, but inappropriate.

What about lying by omission?  where does that fit in?

Sep 06 06 11:03 am Link

Model

Duchess of Mars

Beverly Hills, California, US

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw

Sep 06 06 11:05 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i can do that
ommitting

but not the other kind

MUCH easier to tell the truth, how could  you convince and yet lie to  different people and  fit all the stories together
how would you feel about yourself
what about the respect for them & karma
yuk
no
tell the truth .. or just dont tell!

Sep 06 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

ert3006 wrote:

You say, "Look fatty, stop shakin' what yo mamma gave ya, and turn around..."

...or....

You could tell her that the concept you're looking for is from the front (tell her this BEFORE the shoot) and stick with only that. If you end up shooting her backside, see if she likes any of the pictures....

Then, of course, you run into the problem of her posting pictures that you don't like (I hear photogs complain about this all the time)...but, if the photography is strong enough in each of them, then those viewing it will see that, and just not like the model instead.

Then again...there are so many a$$ shots on here with compliments out the wahzoo that even if her backside is purple and lumpy, people are going to like it.

-D

Sep 06 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

ert3006 wrote:

What about lying by omission?  where does that fit in?

I think intent begins to enter in at that point. For example, when Clinton said, "I did not have sex with that woman!" while looking sternly into the camera, he was lying, because he knew that he had in fact splooged all over the front of Monica's dress -- an act that the average human being would consider to be sex, even if he didn't. His intent was to deceive -- otherwise he would have said, "hey, I didn't fuck her -- she just sucked me off. What's the big deal?"

I think there is a fine but often bright line between adequate disclosure, and damaging confession.

Sep 06 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

ert3006

Daniela V wrote:

You say, "Look fatty, stop shakin' what yo mamma gave ya, and turn around..."

...or....

You could tell her that the concept you're looking for is from the front (tell her this BEFORE the shoot) and stick with only that. If you end up shooting her backside, see if she likes any of the pictures....

Then, of course, you run into the problem of her posting pictures that you don't like (I hear photogs complain about this all the time)...but, if the photography is strong enough in each of them, then those viewing it will see that, and just not like the model instead.

Then again...there are so many a$$ shots on here with compliments out the wahzoo that even if her backside is purple and lumpy, people are going to like it.

-D

OK that was one hypothetical.  what about when a model who is bored or hard up for work tells a photographer that she like his work/concept/direction, when really she wants to say, listen I'm bored shoot me i don't care what it looks like!

Sep 06 06 11:24 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Honesty always in this feild.

If she has a lumpy backside let her know she needs to tone up a bit.

If I'm bored out of my mind I'll say hey lets go shoot for fun, it will be a blast.
each of us gets to pratice our skills. Hell I've even drive 2 hours to a shoot for TFP with  students the concept was so cool we had a blast, & we did get a few great images out of it.

Sep 06 06 11:32 am Link

Model

ang m

Chicago, Illinois, US

The truth is always best.

Sep 06 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

ert3006 wrote:
OK that was one hypothetical.  what about when a model who is bored or hard up for work tells a photographer that she like his work/concept/direction, when really she wants to say, listen I'm bored shoot me i don't care what it looks like!

Yeah...that doesn't work because you're assuming that's what she means. Maybe she really does like the photogs. work.

Furthermore, there are plenty of models on here that probably shouldn't be models that think they look like Tyra or Giselle. Plenty. So...not caring what they look like...or maybe having a very high opinion of themselves.

Next hypothetical please.

Sep 06 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Honesty is the best policy unless you're OJ Simpson wink

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

There's no such thing as absolute Truth, no matter what Plato said.  Temper your opinion with kindness and compassion.

Photographer

ert3006

Daniela V wrote:

Yeah...that doesn't work because you're assuming that's what she means. Maybe she really does like the photogs. work.

Furthermore, there are plenty of models on here that probably shouldn't be models that think they look like Tyra or Giselle. Plenty. So...not caring what they look like...or maybe having a very high opinion of themselves.

Next hypothetical please.

NEXT:

the model doesn't get the concept.  does she tell the photographer that she does because she really wants to work with them, or does she tell them she doesn't get it, explain it again, and again, and again, until she does get it.

Sep 06 06 11:42 am Link

Model

Mary Domingo

Los Angeles, California, US

depends on what the issue is about and who it is you're talking to...

Sep 06 06 11:45 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

ert3006 wrote:
NEXT:

the model doesn't get the concept.  does she tell the photographer that she does because she really wants to work with them, or does she tell them she doesn't get it, explain it again, and again, and again, until she does get it.

That's so easy and falls out of your realm of question.

Every model thinks they understand the concept. The photographer is the idiot.

Personally, I will keep asking, but most photographers can't explain. So I just do whatever the hell I deem fit.

I'm sorry- I'm so tired. And when I'm tired, I find myself funny.

and THAT is the God's honest truth.

-D

Sep 06 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Alexa wrote:
"If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw

smile
Good one

Sep 06 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Yes! If they like you or dislike you at least it will be for the right reasons, and you don't have to remember who you told what.

Sep 06 06 12:36 pm Link