Forums > General Industry > Biggest Pet Peave....magazines who dont pay!

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

I know we all have them but my biggest pet peave is magazines who desire to use your images in their publications but do not want to pay the photographer to use them.  We know it isnt a question of quality cause they want it in their magazine.  Then they want full release to do as they please with them and then wont even give you a credit!  Mind you these are some of the very top magazines in the world as well.  Now I do not look like Mother Theresa and I dont believe these magazines are raising money to find the cure for cancer so what gives?  What would happen if every photographer told them thanks but no thanks?  Perhaps they raise the suscription rate a quarter and finally throw a bone at the guys' who work fills their magazine.  So as for me I am officially starting the "If you print it you must pay" association of photographers.  Who's with me?

Sep 06 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

Not me.
I have shot for years for magazines that don't pay, or pay very little. It is called marketing.

being published in good magazines is the way for big advertising clients to see a showcase of my work. That is where my biggest paying clients have found me, that and magazines who DO pay.

I am not sure which magazines you are talking about though.  You say " ... and they are some of the top magazines in the world"... Hmm I know only a very few TOP magazines in the world who don't pay their photographers... but I only deal with fashion magazines...

Plus.. if Italian Vogue called me tomorrow to shoot for them for free, I would be there yesterday.. for free!

Sep 06 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

GW Burns wrote:
I know we all have them but my biggest pet peave is magazines who desire to use your images in their publications but do not want to pay the photographer to use them.  We know it isnt a question of quality cause they want it in their magazine.  Then they want full release to do as they please with them and then wont even give you a credit!  Mind you these are some of the very top magazines in the world as well.  Now I do not look like Mother Theresa and I dont believe these magazines are raising money to find the cure for cancer so what gives?  What would happen if every photographer told them thanks but no thanks?  Perhaps they raise the suscription rate a quarter and finally throw a bone at the guys' who work fills their magazine.  So as for me I am officially starting the "If you print it you must pay" association of photographers.  Who's with me?

I recently responded to an ad for a new magazine that was offering "exposure" in exchange for free use of pictures.

Here's what I said:

"I'd love to submit some pictures to your new magazine. However, in retrospect, I find I will be so busy standing around on street corners giving away $100 bills to total strangers, that I don't have the time to put together a submission. Sorry!"

They were not amused. I sure know how to make friends! But the truth is, I felt a lot better having said something, and I'm glad I did.

I agree that sometimes it's worth doing free work for exposure, but more often, it's just somebody looking to cut their expenses -- at MY expense.

Paul

Sep 06 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

Well I guess that it depends on the magazine your talking about. G Burns said he was talking about some of the "Top magazines in the world"
Although I am still unsure of who he is talking about, I think that the exposure a photographer would get from being published in one of the worlds top magazines would be very worth while (?)

Sep 06 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

FHM and Maxim are two...and if you are not given a photo credit how do you market that?  Oh I know see that pic right there thats mine!  So without a credit how does a client know it is your pic and find you? 
G

Sep 06 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I'm with you GW. I started a thread entitled "Pay to Publish" a bit ago and the topic is as relevant now as it was then. The industry trend is not going in the way of the photographer these days IMO.

Sep 06 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

i was published in maxim.

and paid.

magazines dont pay....becuase people like the guy up top will do it for free.

i dont care about exposure.  i care about my mortgage. 

i would be willing to work for less than usual.  if the asignment was something that had potential resale.

Sep 06 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Maxim's photo credits for assignments are at the inner margin near the fold.

I realize they do not credit submitted images, but that's firing blind anyway.

Sep 06 06 01:36 pm Link

Model

Christine Campbell

Los Angeles, California, US

Sep 06 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

This is the reason I’ve stopped submitting or accepting from most of the publications I worked for.

Lack of pay and lack of credits.

If you want little pay and lots of credit, go to a daily newspaper.

The best way I’ve found to make $ is to market yourself.

My business has quadrupled since I dropped $175.00 for a mailing list of ad agencies from US Lists and hit the Internet ad-word world.

Sep 06 06 01:44 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Christine Campbell wrote:

Are you trying to Tease um?

Sep 06 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

I have worked for FHM, been paid and credited.

Sounds to me like you are talking about submitted work rather than being comissioned by the magazine..

Also, I shoot for my book ( port) a lot. I can't see why if I am shooting anyway to improve myself, I wouldn't have the images published in a good submission fashion magazine. I get exposure, and as I said I have been very well compensated with good adverting jobs from doing that. The model get tear sheets as does the MUA, hair, and wardobe stylist.

In the fashion world at least, having tear sheets from Surface, Oyster, City, Zink, Cream etc are worth their weight in gold when it comes to pulling in lucrative fashion adverting campaigns.

Many top shooters have worked their way in that way. It shows clients: ad agents, fashion etiors etc that you can do the job, IN SEASON, Other wise, who knows, it may have taken you 20 years to get those 20 pic in your book.... and withou current teat sheets your book does NOT show that you can come up with the required images on the day you have been booked.  It makes sense all round to work this way. And it is one industry standard in fashion anyway.

Sep 06 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

GW Burns wrote:

Isn't that what a usage fee is? or better known as licensing?

Sep 06 06 02:53 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Same for models in print.

streetlow mag says they don't pay models at all for spreads or covers unless it is some adult entertainer the editor really wants.

Lowrider mag does pay for models in spreads in their magazine.

Some of the lower end magazines don't pay some do.

Some of the ones that openly say they don't pay. If they really want a particular model in there magazine they will pay her.

Same for photographers some will work for tears only some will work form money only.

Sep 06 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

10-7 Productions

Barrie, Ontario, Canada

So it seems that submissions you don't get paid for.... only commissions for magazines like FHM, Maxim etc?   So how does one GET paid for that type of photography?  What steps have to be taken?  Do you just submit and get images in for free until they ask you to shoot something *hopefully*?

Sep 06 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

Ya know when My credit card co's call and I tell them I shot for Italian Vogue for free  and they were so amazed at what a great photog I was they said that I didn't have to pay my bills!

Sep 06 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

Duncan wrote:
Ya know when My credit card co's call and I tell them I shot for Italian Vogue for free  and they were so amazed at what a great photog I was they said that I didn't have to pay my bills!

Duncan IF you EVER shot editorial for Italian vogue, I would bet you  would never have to worry about your credit card problems again. 

Any photographer who shoots fashion editorial for that magazine, even if they did it for free, would be RAKING in the money from advertisers...Not to mention Just ONE editorial in Italian Vogue, and you could get COMMISSIONED work from pretty much any other fashion mag on the planet.... You guys are cluless and shortsighted and uninformed... Sorry but it is true. 

Your sarcasim is pretty unwarrented concidering how little you know about this industry.

Sep 06 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Sam-H

Paris, Arkansas, US

aref wrote:
Any photographer who shoots fashion editorial for that magazine, even if they did it for free, would be RAKING in the money from advertisers...Not to mention Just ONE editorial in Italian Vogue, and you could get COMMISSIONED work from pretty much any other fashion mag on the planet....

It doesn't get any better than Vogue Italy. If this magazine ever asks you to shoot a story for them...run...do not walk.

Sep 06 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

10-7 Photography wrote:
So it seems that submissions you don't get paid for.... only commissions for magazines like FHM, Maxim etc?   So how does one GET paid for that type of photography?  What steps have to be taken?  Do you just submit and get images in for free until they ask you to shoot something *hopefully*?

Yes, it would be useful to clarify the difference between assignment work and the variety of non-paid submission avenues.  Regarding the FHM/Maxim/Stuff 'hot girl' contests/submissions/teasers or what ever you want to call the amateur send-in shots, they're called front-of-book in magazine language, they are not considered the same as an assignment.  If a photographer sends material or allows material to be sent in for 'Hometown Hotties' 'Neighborhood Knockouts' or '20 Hot Dates' without negotiating a specific rate, especially if the magazine has a policy regarding submitted work, I think the photographer loses the platform for complaint.  They do pay photographers for assigned work.  It is as simple as that.  A good friend of mine shoots regularly for all of them as well as Rolling Stone, Blender, etc. 

However, submissions to other magazines like ULTRA For Men and Perfect 10 are paid at a rate established by each individual magazine.  The editors are good about letting any photographers know what the rates are and if a submission meets their criteria.  I have had more than 15 features published in ULTRA, almost all by submission.

The process for securing assignment work from magazines is generally thru portfolio review at the magazine's headquarters by their art/photo department.  They determine who is fit for which assignment.  It has been my observation that the magazines above do not use a great number of photographers annually and therefore the same names appear in the credits frequently.  Many of the US editions of those magazines use NYC- or LA-based photographers and much of the work is celebrity based.  They simply aren't going to give unknown photographers a shot at celebrity features or covers.  Often times the celebrity is given input on who the photographer is.  They also seem to pick up a lot from their forign editions for reprint.

Some edgier fashion magazines do not pay a fee or only cover expenses even for assignment work.  I shot many assignments from celebrity to fashion for PAPER Magazine who does not pay a fee.  However it is not a surprise to anyone involved.  If the result is not worth the effort, choose not to participate.

Sep 06 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

GW Burns wrote:

GW I hear ya I get so many offers ....... I'm joining in smile

Sep 06 06 06:08 pm Link

Model

Tara Jane

New Haven, Connecticut, US

one of my peeves is spelling errors, it doesn't look very professional (as in magazine paying you to shoot for them professional) to spell things wrong and have typos or worse uncommon or local slang. It hurts my eyes.

Sep 06 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

Tara Jane wrote:
one of my peeves is spelling errors, it doesn't look very professional (as in magazine paying you to shoot for them professional) to spell things wrong and have typos or worse uncommon or local slang. It hurts my eyes.

sorry, english is not my first language... excuse me!

Sep 06 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

aref wrote:
Not me.
I have shot for years for magazines that don't pay, or pay very little. It is called marketing.

being published in good magazines is the way for big advertising clients to see a showcase of my work. That is where my biggest paying clients have found me, that and magazines who DO pay.

I am not sure which magazines you are talking about though.  You say " ... and they are some of the top magazines in the world"... Hmm I know only a very few TOP magazines in the world who don't pay their photographers... but I only deal with fashion magazines...

Plus.. if Italian Vogue called me tomorrow to shoot for them for free, I would be there yesterday.. for free!

it is marketing. editorial has never been for profit. BUT... magazines traditionally paid a minimal amount to allow for costs. noone made much money, but noone dug into their pocket too deeply to provide the magazine with essentially free content. it was a partnership so to speak and of mutual benefit.

digital has changed that somewhat in that costs are not there for film/film processing. however, the biggest mover in this regard is the willingness of those who might not otherwise get published to dance to the publisher's tune.
this is NOT a completely healthy trend, although I applaud all publishing efforts designed to challenge the status quo (of conde naste)

Italian Vogue pays btw, as do all covers from or affiliated with major publishing houses.

Sep 07 06 04:37 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Sep 07 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

My photography ads are printed in those magazines each month (see my profile)

On occasion, I will shoot a model for them.  I get paid.

Just tell them that you want to get paid.

Sep 07 06 10:57 am Link

Model

BronxBeauty8

interesting... I wanna keep on reading... but gotta go pollute my lungs first....

Sep 07 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Edward

Bowie, Maryland, US

Helmut Newton said it, "Photographers should be like prostitutes paymet first for services."  Nothing is free.  Photographers put a lot of time and hard work developing their skills and career; and to give their talent away for free is not a good practice.  All photographs should be compensated.

Sep 07 06 11:31 am Link