Forums > General Industry > Confused :: Test/TFP/etc ... WHY even?

Photographer

LaMode Studios

San Diego, California, US

I think over the years we have made this more difficult and confusing to all parties involved.

The concept of "testing" started ages ago ... yes folks long before MM and all the other modeling/folio internet sites.

The purpose of a true "test" shoot had multiple implications for those of us professionally (yet another word interpreted by may to mean different things ... let's just go with making income from what you do)

But primarily the "test" shoot was so that agencies could send new modeling talent to a studio for reduced rates (agency and model benefits by getting camera time) , the studio which agrees usually had the need to "test" new equipment/techniques/expand their folio/create images for print competition .... basically everyone involved had a motive and benefit in mind from the shoot ..

least us not forget the whole purpose of NETWORKING with other professionals that we can leverage in our "professions"

Unless you were born into stardom or happen to be part of a family who is a publishing giant ... we all have motives and reasons for what we do , that doesn't make them bad/wrong ... unless your trying to deceptive ... just be upfront ... and cut the crap

Just do it :: SHOOT / MODEL / STYLE .. whatever .. PAID/FREE/TEST/TFP ... you decide .. it's your life ... make the choice

Sep 06 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Yeah, uh, great first post.  Yeah, umm, maybe we could have some discussion on this topic ....

Sep 06 06 10:53 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I can agree with the live and let live theory but no many people on MM do.

No one cares how it used to be done we all care about how it is being done now.

I predect in less than an hour you will be bombarded with both sides telling you you are wrong about how it used to be, about how it is now, about how it should be, about how it will be in the future....

Welcome to the mayhem wink

Sep 06 06 11:27 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Not all photographers who participate in these sorts of websites are full time "pros".  A lot of people are here/do it just for fun.  (Myself included.)  So that whole client/agency model doesn't really apply to everyone.

Sep 06 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Yeah... in time you'll find this site to be completely not a reflection of the commercial modeling business. Its good for networking, 50/50 as for a resource, and there are a few gems after you've waded through the %^&*.

Sep 06 06 04:30 pm Link