Forums > General Industry > Coercion during TFP / TFCD shoots...

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

A model that I was helping, got into this predictament from another photographer - to be honest, I was rather shocked by all of this, but wanted to pass this by MM just so I could give her more advice than "walk away and put a note up on your profile about this dude..."

Essentially the photog came, picked her up and took her to their shooting location, this was a TFP/TFCD arrangement.  I think because of language barrier issues, there was a misunderstanding between them prior to the shoot on whether or not she did or would do full nudity and what that actually entailed.  Her actual command of the english language would be considered poor, so any misunderstanding - I would expect a normal photographer to take that into consideration.

During the shoot she refused to do full nudity, but did do implied and partial nude shots.  However, full nude photographs, as I believe is her definate right to do so for any reason, she refused. 

I could see it being more of an issue on a shoot where the model was paid explicitedly for nude, but this wasn't the case.

The photog continued to shoot with her for the entire afternoon, During the shoot he attempted to convince her otherwise and leaned on her hard to do full nude shoots.  She held to her refusal and did not do them.  Today she got word from him that since she refused to do any nude shots, that she would have to pay him $200 + shipping for the CD / DVD to be released.

Now my first reaction was "ditch the guy" and make sure you make a very negative statement in your profile about this guy - as this type of behaviour really doesn't send a great message out to anyone.

I'm curious on any comments and advice I can pass onto her other than that.

Sep 05 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sounds like a classic case of "he said/she said" where we don't have his side, and hers is tainted by an admitted language barrier.  What did he think was the agreement prior to the shoot?  I don't see how anyone here can resolve that.

Sep 05 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

What does the release / agreement that they signed say?

Oh, there wasn't one????  shame on someone....

Sep 05 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Actually I reviewed all email conversations prior to posting.

there was no mention during initial email conversations at all in regards that this is a nude TFP/CD shoot, and nor any confirmation prior that this was the desired agreement from the photographer.

The photographer only got beligerent during the shoot and after the fact.  I tend to believe her that this occurred during the shoot because of his emails after the shoot essentially implied it.

Sep 05 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Curt Burgess wrote:

Yeah, there wasn't one.  Now I know why I have a stack of them sitting here tongue but mind you, this is something I would not have even considered occuring.

Sep 05 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Curt Burgess wrote:

Again.....

What did the release / agreement that was signed say?  He's supposedly changed the agreement, ie, now wanting $$ for "TFP" images.

Nobody around to give this model some advice?

Sep 05 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Nothing was signed.  I did a shoot with her last week, so she felt I was someone to turn to to help her with this, and this is a "beats the heck of of me.." situation.

Sep 05 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

RRCPhoto wrote:
Nothing was signed.  I did a shoot with her last week, so she felt I was someone to turn to to help her with this, and this is a "beats the heck of of me.." situation.

well.. then this is a good example of why it's always good to have a release/agreement signed even if it's TFP.  It's a nasty bait and switch trick on the photographer's part.

Sep 05 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Curt Burgess wrote:
well.. then this is a good example of why it's always good to have a release/agreement signed even if it's TFP.  It's a nasty bait and switch trick on the photographer's part.

Very.

I like the agreements because it very much details out what I do after the shoot, and what the model gets.  No confusion, no muss and no fuss afterwards.  Everyone is happy.

But I guess it's also good for the model to demand the agreement as well if the photographer doesn't necessarily prompt.  I guess you could also state that's a measuring stick of the seriousness of the photographer - especially if they give you a blank stare and go .... "what's dat?"

Sep 05 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Curt Burgess wrote:

RRCPhoto wrote:
Very.

I like the agreements because it very much details out what I do after the shoot, and what the model gets.  No confusion, no muss and no fuss afterwards.  Everyone is happy.

But I guess it's also good for the model to demand the agreement as well if the photographer doesn't necessarily prompt.  I guess you could also state that's a measuring stick of the seriousness of the photographer - especially if they give you a blank stare and go .... "what's dat?"

and this should all be settled before arriving at the shoot.

Sep 05 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

rachelstephens

Portland, Oregon, US

As far as I understand, without a model release, he cannot use any of the images so she should use this as a lesson learned, wipe her hands clean of the shoot and inform him that since there was no model release, she does not give him her permission to use her likeness for any purpose. I am going through an issue where I had to pull an image I was using on my site from a partial trade shoot where the agreement was with the designer who had their own model and then the model threatening to sue me for using her likeness without an agreement. If she can do that, your model is well within her right to protect herself from having to owe anyone money and no one gets to use the images!

Sep 05 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Anyone can threaten to sue anyone. That does mean that there is any merit to the claim.

Sep 05 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

if you are a genleman, then no means no, anyone has a right to change their mind, and if her english wasn't to good then you say oops and go home..

he decided to bill her afterwards, not too nice, like taking someone out and making them pay for their half of the bill if they don't put out..

Sep 05 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

again its the meeting of the minds, both parties are responsible for fully understanding the nature of the shoot ahead of time,

what if the photog immediately ended the shoot without taking any pix, when she didnt want to pose nude, would you then feel justifed to be advising her to bill him for her time?

my releases specifically state the nature of the shoot

lack of a release actually gives the photog more leeway to use the images as he wants, there are numerous other posts regsrding photog's rights to images with r without a release

in ny state, im fairly certain if ONCE you threaten to sue someone and then subsequently do not, you have commited a misdemeanor,

let one of the countless lawyer-slash-photogs-slash i once stayed at a holiday in express guys clarify that

Sep 05 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not to come down on anyone but when someone tries to pressure you to
do something you don't want to do its time to leave.  Things almost always
turn out bad.  I know, I own not one but two time shares.  Don't ask. 
After the fact not much anyone can do and its up to the model on how she
wants to proceed.

Sep 05 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Shame on the photographer for not being clear *before* the shoot.

I *rarely* go beyond implied/sheer in my work, but I do make notes about each model's limits and style based on their portfolio, profile, and email/phone conversations.

If I suggest something and a model expresses a concern, I'm not afraid to suggest solutions (modesty getting into position, testing fabric sheerness, retouching/deleting malfunctions, etc.), but the model has the final say.

All I expect from models is that they (1) be open and honest before and during the shoot about how far they want to push their comfort zone, and (2) not infer that my suggestions are attempts at cohersion. If I get any vibe that they don't have an assertive personality and they are feeling like I'm pressuring them rather than collaborating with them, the discussion is over.

Sep 06 06 12:18 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

How do you spell @ss-h-o-l-e?

Sep 06 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Madcitychel wrote:
How do you spell @ss-h-o-l-e?

Funny you should say that - that's exactly what I told her as well when she phoned me in tears.

To be honest, if I scheduled personally a TFP / CD shoot that had an agreement of nudity, I still feel it's up to the model to decide after she meets me on her level of comfort on a shoot.  Now if this is not a first shoot, and we have already established a working synergy, I would be a little miffed, but still I wouldn't hold it against her.  It's her right to choose as far as I'm concerned.

Even a paying nudity shoot - if she didn't feel comfortable, about the only thing I would discuss with her at the time was re-negotiation of the rates involved. 

But in any case, to continue shooting - and then after the fact decide, wait a second, give me money before you get the images - is, as you put it..being an ______ (insert phrase here)

Oddly enough, this photog photographed another model I worked with and she was scheduled to shoot again with me the subsequent week.  She fell off the face of the planet, even though we had a confirmed schedule and booking - so I'm wondering if this is not the first time.

As both a pretty honest guy and the fact that I have a daughter that is quickly approaching the age of some of the models, this does tick me off to say the least.

Sep 06 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Not to come down on anyone but when someone tries to pressure you to
do something you don't want to do its time to leave.  Things almost always
turn out bad.  I know, I own not one but two time shares.  Don't ask. 
After the fact not much anyone can do and its up to the model on how she
wants to proceed.

He drove her to the location, so thus could not readily pick up and leave.

Sep 06 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Richard Tallent wrote:
Shame on the photographer for not being clear *before* the shoot.

I *rarely* go beyond implied/sheer in my work, but I do make notes about each model's limits and style based on their portfolio, profile, and email/phone conversations.

If I suggest something and a model expresses a concern, I'm not afraid to suggest solutions (modesty getting into position, testing fabric sheerness, retouching/deleting malfunctions, etc.), but the model has the final say.

All I expect from models is that they (1) be open and honest before and during the shoot about how far they want to push their comfort zone, and (2) not infer that my suggestions are attempts at cohersion. If I get any vibe that they don't have an assertive personality and they are feeling like I'm pressuring them rather than collaborating with them, the discussion is over.

Exactly!  that I would expect from anyone.  There was one occasion that I wanted to do some implied - and it was discussed prior to the shoot as well.  I sat down with the model during the shoot and discussed (explained exactly the shots I wanted to take, her positioning and what could and would be seen) and watched her body reaction, and then decided not to do it, because I could see just from her body language that she wasn't exactly comfortable with it.  Why take a photo of someone in a position they are not comfortable in?  They sure as heck aren't going to come out good anyways.

Sep 06 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Well, for the first time, I find myself disagreeing with the "it should have spelled it out in the written agreement" crowd.

It would never occur to me to draft an agreement that specified the details of the content of a shoot. Even if you did say something about shooting nude, what exactly does that mean? "Art" nudity (whatever that is)? Implied nudity? Topless nudity? Partial nudity? Simulated masturbation? Open-legged nudity? Boy/girl sex?

I think it is perfectly reasonable, in the context of a glamour shoot, to ask the model if she is interested in doing, say, some photos without her top. She is free to say yes or no, and that decision should be honored, without further badgering or manipulation. I just don't see that as a big deal. And the truth is, I've shot with a lot of models who I guessed wanted to shoot nude, but were too embarassed to ask -- they were obviously relieved when I brought it up, so they didn't have to.

On the other hand, if you are going into a shoot with a very specific agenda that you know may be an issue for some models -- i.e., you are shooting an erotic photo set that requires her to strip down provocatively for the camera, then this needs to be discussed and absolutely understood and agreed to before the shoot commences. Anything else is dishonest and coercive. Still, putting the specifics down in a written agreement seems like overkill to me.

From the facts as presented, this guy sounds like a scumball who is taking advantage of other human beings. But, there are always two sides to the story, and so far, we've only heard one. But as it stands, it sounds like he owes her pictures and an apology.

Paul

RRCPhoto wrote:
A model that I was helping, got into this predictament from another photographer - to be honest, I was rather shocked by all of this, but wanted to pass this by MM just so I could give her more advice than "walk away and put a note up on your profile about this dude..."

Essentially the photog came, picked her up and took her to their shooting location, this was a TFP/TFCD arrangement.  I think because of language barrier issues, there was a misunderstanding between them prior to the shoot on whether or not she did or would do full nudity and what that actually entailed.  Her actual command of the english language would be considered poor, so any misunderstanding - I would expect a normal photographer to take that into consideration.

During the shoot she refused to do full nudity, but did do implied and partial nude shots.  However, full nude photographs, as I believe is her definate right to do so for any reason, she refused. 

I could see it being more of an issue on a shoot where the model was paid explicitedly for nude, but this wasn't the case.

The photog continued to shoot with her for the entire afternoon, During the shoot he attempted to convince her otherwise and leaned on her hard to do full nude shoots.  She held to her refusal and did not do them.  Today she got word from him that since she refused to do any nude shots, that she would have to pay him $200 + shipping for the CD / DVD to be released.

Now my first reaction was "ditch the guy" and make sure you make a very negative statement in your profile about this guy - as this type of behaviour really doesn't send a great message out to anyone.

I'm curious on any comments and advice I can pass onto her other than that.

Sep 06 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

RRCPhoto wrote:

Have her take it to small claims court and be done with it.

Sep 06 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

I had a model change her mind a couple of times and that's fine with me but I ended the shoot right there and no one got any pictures. If nothing else I want to discourage models from doing this type of thing on purpose. Models can be sneaky.

Continuing on shooting and then charging for it sounds kind of vindictive and assholish.

Sep 06 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I have several reactions:

My college advisor (Fred Brooks) has a semi-famous saying:  "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment".  My advice:  chalk this episode up as "experience" and encourage the model to come up with ways to avoid similar occurrences.  And she's free to avoid working with this photographer in the future.

One suggestion for future sittings:  Check references!  I don't know why folks don't check references more often.

My opinion:  A model has the absolute right to refuse to pose nude, and I mean that even if it was clear that the negoiated terms of the sitting included nude modeling, the model has the right to change her mind if she feels unsafe or uncomfortable for any reason.  I'd even go further to state that any photographer who even attempts to convince a model to stray outside of her comfort zone is an amateur.  However, if the expectation was "nude" & the model either changes her mind or simply refuses, the appropriate thing to do is to end the sitting right then & there.  By continuing to make images for the rest of the afternoon, the photographer has implicitedly agreed to the terms of the shoot & should be on the hook for delivering the resulting images.

The original post suggested making some negative comment about the photographer on her profile.  That's a bad, bad idea.  Never do this.  It forces the viewer to try to figure out which side is telling the truth, and the viewer can't do that.  But the viewer can see that the model is using her profile for negative & vindictive purposes -- she should be presenting herself in a positive light only.  Further, the moderators will likely take her profile down.

It is never a waste of time to document the details about a sitting in writing, and if the model has difficulty with English, she should get help.  Further, I believe that it is the photographer's responsibility to ensure that everyone has the same understanding.

Sep 06 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Looknsee Photography wrote:

My college advisor (Fred Brooks) has a semi-famous saying:  "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment".  My advice:  chalk this episode up as "experience" and encourage the model to come up with ways to avoid similar occurrences.  And she's free to avoid working with this photographer in the future.

One suggestion for future sittings:  Check references!  I don't know why folks don't check references more often.

My opinion:  A model has the absolute right to refuse to pose nude, and I mean that even if it was clear that the negoiated terms of the sitting included nude modeling, the model has the right to change her mind if she feels unsafe or uncomfortable for any reason.  I'd even go further to state that any photographer who even attempts to convince a model to stray outside of her comfort zone is an amateur.  However, if the expectation was "nude" & the model either changes her mind or simply refuses, the appropriate thing to do is to end the sitting right then & there.  By continuing to make images for the rest of the afternoon, the photographer has implicitedly agreed to the terms of the shoot & should be on the hook for delivering the resulting images.

The original post suggested making some negative comment about the photographer on her profile.  That's a bad, bad idea.  Never do this.  It forces the viewer to try to figure out which side is telling the truth, and the viewer can't do that.  But the viewer can see that the model is using her profile for negative & vindictive purposes -- she should be presenting herself in a positive light only.  Further, the moderators will likely take her profile down.

It is never a waste of time to document the details about a sitting in writing, and if the model has difficulty with English, she should get help.  Further, I believe that it is the photographer's responsibility to ensure that everyone has the same understanding.

Thanks, excellent points - the only point I would want to make - that I disagree about the notification. After an objective third party (moi) reviewed all emails and conversations and the conversations that occurred afterwards, I know if my daughter (who's now 14) got involved in modelling, I'd never want her thinking this guy was okay.  The attempting to convince during the shoot - I can possibly ignore down to a (he said / she said) if it wasn't for the blatent emails that I've read that occurred afterwards.

Besides checking references, and let's be honest, alot of models just simply don't respond to emails and/or inquiries from us photogs - lord knows how they'd do with other models asking for info.  So I'm not entirely convinced that works either.

My own "street smarts" tells me from reading through the emails prior that she shouldn't have agreed to the shoot - just because she's getting him to drive her to a location that is 2 hours away, and this is a first shoot.  All sorts of things can go wrong in that case.  However, the case being made, it paints a bad light on us all - we don't want ourselves being painted in the same light as this guy - whether or not we are established professionals or serious photographers building experience and honing our craft.

That being said, I'll sum up all these points to her, and then tell her to forward all emails in a lump over to OMP and let them figure it out on what's appropriate behaviour.

Sep 06 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Thanks, excellent points - the only point I would want to make - that I disagree about the notification. After an objective third party (moi) reviewed all emails and conversations and the conversations that occurred afterwards, I know if my daughter (who's now 14) got involved in modelling, I'd never want her thinking this guy was okay.  The attempting to convince during the shoot - I can possibly ignore down to a (he said / she said) if it wasn't for the blatent emails that I've read that occurred afterwards.

Besides checking references, and let's be honest, alot of models just simply don't respond to emails and/or inquiries from us photogs - lord knows how they'd do with other models asking for info.  So I'm not entirely convinced that works either.

My own "street smarts" tells me from reading through the emails prior that she shouldn't have agreed to the shoot - just because she's getting him to drive her to a location that is 2 hours away, and this is a first shoot.  All sorts of things can go wrong in that case.  However, the case being made, it paints a bad light on us all - we don't want ourselves being painted in the same light as this guy - whether or not we are established professionals or serious photographers building experience and honing our craft.

That being said, I'll sum up all these points to her, and then tell her to forward all emails in a lump over to OMP and let them figure it out on what's appropriate.

Sep 06 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

_Bunny_

Riverview, Florida, US

RRCPhoto wrote:
He drove her to the location, so thus could not readily pick up and leave.

I'm assuming that this was her first shoot with this photographer.  I don't know about others, but I don't think I'd be too comfortable having a photographer pick me up and take me somewhere without me having someone else there with me.  It just goes against my better judgement.  I could understand if she knew him personally, like a friend, or if she'd worked with him several times, but the first time out?  No way.

Also, you said she doesn't speak English very well?  If this is the case, then I'd definitely suggest to her that from now on, she takes someone with her, preferably someone who can speak both her language and the photographer's.  That way not only will she have someone to back her up if the photographer pressures her, but this person can also act as translator if things get confusing.

Some people think I'm a bit silly for this, but I almost always print out whatever online correspondence I have from the photographer concerning what is expected for the shoot.  That way if they don't have an agreement/waiver ready to be signed before the shoot takes place, I can still point to a piece of paper and say, "This is what you told me I was here to do, and that is all I will do."

Sep 06 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Walk away and be glad you can. From the sound of this one side of information she could be lucky she was able to do that. No one has the right to force anyone to do anything they do not wish to do. Its a _uckin picture and the world will turn without it.
She should be really glad she is alive to tell this to anyone. Never ever get in someones car you dont know for any reason. That goes for the model and the photographers.
She is worried about some images from a shoot she felt totally uncomfortable at???

Sep 06 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

RRCPhoto wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but I kinda think you are saying that it's okay for her to post the photographer's name on her profile, warning other models away from him.  Here's why I think it's a bad idea.

Model Sue says on her profile:  "Sam the photographer groped me inappropriately."

Can she prove it?  What's Sam's side of the story?  What really happened?  All we see is Sue's side of the story, and she expects us to condemn Sam, based solely on her side of the story.  Why should we believe her, especially since Sam hasn't even been given a chance to respond?  What's the whole truth?

So, based on what we see on her profile, we really don't know what happened, and we are expected to condemn Sam for actions he may or may not have done.

Still, we do know this:  Sue's profile was & is intended for her to present herself to potential photographers & clients.  What does her statement about Sam tell us about the kind of person Sue is?  To me, it tells us that Sue is vindictive, vengeful, and that she doesn't always deal fairly during conflict resolution.  Her profile should put her in a positive light, and her using the profile to "out" this photographer is anything but positive.

Moreover, the photographer can take exception to her posting.  He may even be able to show damages (e.g. models refusing to work for him, based on Sue's posting).  Can she prove her allegations?  For example, how do we know that the photographer tried to coerce her into posing nude multiple times?  We only have her word for that.  (I'm not saying that it didn't happen; I'm only saying that we have only one side of the story).  So, he can show damages, and he can invite lawyers into the model's life.

Worse, he can invite lawyers into Model Mayhem's life, too.  After all, the "slander" is posted here on MM.

Thus, if the moderators get wind of that, they will ask the model to take down the notice, or they may take down the model's profile altogether.

Sep 06 06 03:15 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm with Rachel on this.

She should tell him he cannot use the images for profit without a release.  I'm not sure I'd recommend outing the guy on her profile, but there are sites like the IBL for a more private version of that sort of thing.  If it were me, I'd exercise *hearty* word of mouth with other local models/photographers.  But ultimately, yeah, it's a learning experience.  I have to wonder if she even checked his references... that [his] sort of behavior tends to be serial.

Sep 06 06 03:32 pm Link