Forums > General Industry > OK, let's define a few things pros and newbies

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok,

So there are a few threads on MM that question what or who should be called a photgrapher. Let us toss that aside and and make something that has purpose here.

Now as photgraphers we all have one of three choices.

1. Hobby
2 Career
3. A combination of 1 and 2

Follow me?

Now, if you are going touse your camera to earn a living what are your options? None of us can shoot everything and hope to become one of the best or top paid in our chosen field.

So as a photgrapher it is a good idea to focus on what?
1.The ability to capture good images
2. The ability to shoot under many circumstances
3. The ability to capture what you planned to capture..
so on an so on...

Now that you have those basics down what type of portfoilio(s) do you put together.

This is where labels come in..  Print, commercial..fashion..etc..

Let's get some or our local working or retired pros in here to set some guidelines for those looking to pursue careers in the varous fields of Photgraphy.

NO..rants..NO flames..just info based on real experience.

Sep 05 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

This is probably a forum disaster looking for a place to happen, Vance.
What is it really that you'd hoped to accomplish here, to codify a common language?

Sep 05 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Simple..
I am looking for a break down of photgraphic markets and tips and ideas on how photgraphers should set up their body of work for each market.

Rules and guidlines on how to market and promote ones self.

An open DISCUSSION and a sharing of ideas and life/career experience. Knowing that we all have walked in different shoes, I am hoping this is a thread of shared knowledge rather than...MY WAY OR THE highway...

I know, it's drama free..but I hope it can be productive and not destructive.

Vance

I guess I should start..

Currently my website isnt linked on MM..Perhaps soon..

My MM portfoilio hasnt been FOCUSED, rather a montage of my work. I am currently cutting it down to represent a more focused look. I use MM to practice and network. I will take my TFP projects and use them on my company site.

My site is shows what services I offer. It is much more detailed and shows all of my service. the purpose, to bring in corporate clients, and commercial work.

That is where the money is.
In the near future I will use my graphic design skills and photgraphy to produce and market my own mechandise.

I have a plan and my photgraphy is but one part of it.

That is what I am looking for...
No wood chippers needed..

Anyone   anyone?

Vance

Sep 05 06 04:04 am Link