Forums > General Industry > Product Photography. Any Talent?

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Does it really take talent to shoot products? I mean, set up a couple of lights, meter, and shoot. It’s not like anything is moving. Set your camera on a tripod, sit back and relax. Should these people really be considered photographers? I mean just because they buy a few lights. Working outdoors with products, now that would be a challenge…

*EDIT* Read my last post in this thread...

Sep 05 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I shoot outdoors using natural AND artificial light.

All of you one or other types are posers!  That's right! I called you out!  POSERS!!

Don't hate me because you're better. Hate me beca...wait...fuck!

Sep 05 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

LOL

Sep 05 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Awesome...

wink

Sep 05 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Product shooters are a fuckin' joke. I mean come on... the thing just sits there, doesn't move, they've got all day to light it and shoot it.

I don't know what that shit is, but it's certainly not any kind of photography with which I'm familiar.

For me, the world is my studio. I'm not limited to any space.

Sep 05 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Divinorum Studios

Houston, Texas, US

product shooting in such a way as to make it appealing would seem to require a modicum of skill if youre doing it right....

what kind of feed back do you get from a can of soup???

I dunno...Warhol made them art...but...yeah....

Ill say this though....it likely helps buy those 1200$ f/2.8 24-70mm L lenses lol

it requires a level of understanding how ot present it properly to satisfy your target audience[the client] and draw memorable attention to the product to get consumers interested in purchasing it....

my 2 cents

Sep 05 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I challenge you to take a product photo of a simple digital calculator and turn it into something that would make someone want to buy it.  Most 'photographers' would fail the task.... miserably!

Shoot the interior of a car?  Don't even attempt it with the average camera and single flash unit.  Alot more involved than what you'd think.

One of the biggest challenges that I've ever done was to photograph a currency and credit card validating machine... this was about 12 years ago... before digital became widely used.  The techniques I used were similar to photographing a calculator, with the additional challenge of capturing the glow emitted from a UV blacklight, along with having security markings from credit cards become visible.

To shoot it successfully, I had to do a triple exposure.  The first shot of the complete unit using normal studio lighting.  For the second exposure, the studio was darkened (pitch black) and the machine was turned on so that the LED readout was captured.  The final exposure was to turn on the machine's blacklight to capture it's glow, and to get the proper exposure of the UV security markings on the credit card.

Yeah, to the untrained eye, you'd think it was a simple snapshot, but in reality it was a thought out and lenghty procedure.

It may look easy, but it's not!

Sep 05 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
I challenge you to take a product photo of a simple digital calculator and turn it into something that would make someone want to buy it.  Most 'photographers' would fail the task.... miserably!

Shoot the interior of a car?  Don't even attempt it with the average camera and single flash unit.  Alot more involved than what you'd think.

One of the biggest challenges that I've ever done was to photograph a currency and credit card validating machine... this was about 12 years ago... before digital became widely used.  The techniques I used were similar to photographing a calculator, with the additional challenge of capturing the glow emitted from a UV blacklight, along with having security markings from credit cards become visible.

To shoot it successfully, I had to do a triple exposure.  The first shot of the complete unit using normal studio lighting.  For the second exposure, the studio was darkened (pitch black) and the machine was turned on so that the LED readout was captured.  The final exposure was to turn on the machine's blacklight to capture it's glow, and to get the proper exposure of the UV security markings on the credit card.

Yeah, to the untrained eye, you'd think it was a simple snapshot, but in reality it was a thought out and lenghty procedure.

This is very true and well said.

Sep 05 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

JM Dean wrote:
Does it really take talent to shoot products? I mean, set up a couple of lights, meter, and shoot. It’s not like anything is moving. Set your camera on a tripod, sit back and relax. Should these people really be considered photographers? I mean just because they buy a few lights. Working outdoors with products, now that would be a challenge…

I've not shot product but I have a challenge for you.

If you think its so easy go do it for 6 months and make a living at it. If you can do that then you can diss it and we'll believe you. Anything else is hot air! Its very easy to diss something you dont know anything about.

Sep 05 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

Great challenge. I shoot product for Fleabay and that's where I cut my teeth. I love shooting products. I still have my nikon coolpix 800 that I started with.

Sep 05 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

I see lots are playing catch up tonight smile

Sep 05 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

JM Dean wrote:

oh good grief... lmao
*sigh

i sense a series of threads coming if only to give Ricco a place to play... lol

Sep 05 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

JM Dean wrote:

I’ve shot around 27 cars, 13 boats, 6 travel trailers, 5 motorhomes and one mini bike outside for sale. Does that count as outdoor product photography?

I think that’s great of you to give credit to all photographers like this JM.

Sep 05 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

BlankLogo Photography

Vancouver, Washington, US

Speaking as an studious amateur, I'd have to say no type of photography requires no talent.  You have to study, learn the techniques, practice the skills and practice more.  You can't jump into any type of photography and expect great photos.  (Well, I suppose there might be a few prodigies out there that could.)

But what do I know?  I'm an amateur...

Mike

Sep 05 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Black Ricco wrote:
Product shooters are a fuckin' joke. I mean come on... the thing just sits there, doesn't move, they've got all day to light it and shoot it.

I don't know what that shit is, but it's certainly not any kind of photography with which I'm familiar.

I feel something tugging on my leg, is someone pulling it?

Black Ricco wrote:

Me thinx you've read my statement found in this thread.

Sep 05 06 01:47 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

Black Ricco wrote:

I feel something tugging on my leg, is someone pulling it?

Me thinx you've read my statement found in this thread.

You're getting hotter…

Sep 05 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Evil Genius Studio

Sacramento, California, US

Any of you ever photograph glass before?   Its a bit tricky.

Sep 05 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

could be

(:--------

Hj

Sep 05 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

JM Dean wrote:
Does it really take talent to shoot products? Set your camera on a tripod, sit back and relax. Should these people really be considered photographers? I mean just because they buy a few lights. Working outdoors …

You are right!!

It takes absolutely NO talent whatsoever to shoot products. It takes no talent to shoot anything. Indoors, outdoors, still or moving. Just bang away.

It does, however, require talent most people don't have to SELL products with the impact of their photos. It takes talent to capture interest, convey a message and close a sale .... while competing with an ocean of other product photos out there.

Sep 05 06 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Black Ricco wrote:

I Thought  that you used to be a product shooter as well or am i getting the wrong end of the stick

(I'm a hired gun product shooter who would like to get more beauty and glamour in his book, and am seeking models looking to do the same. I have a high gloss style in my product photography which I'd like to carry over into future beauty and glam work. I'm also very much into the 40's Hollywood "George Hurrell" style and would like to do more of that type of shooting.)
does that look familiar

Sep 05 06 02:25 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Black Ricco wrote:

So ... ummmm .... Ricco, after all that nonsense in the other thread you admit that you shoot in "the world?" Does that mean ...... you actually lower yourself to recording in ...... dare I say it  ....... NATURAL LIGHT?????????????

POSEUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Someone take his Nikon or Canon or Hassie away! He deserves no better than a Kodak throw-a-way!

< sorry, dude, but you really set yourself up for this! >

Sep 05 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You are correct, Sir Cheese.

I once had to shoot the interior of a Pontiac Trans am. They brought in a special car with a super immaculate interior and no top which had been cut off for lighting purposes.

There were four views.  It took nine lights to light the feature.

Sep 05 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

but on the same token
do CSI PHOTOGRAPHERS fall under products shooter... since their subject is not mooving.....

what a life

Sep 05 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

KEVIN HILL wrote:

I Thought  that you used to be a product shooter as well or am i getting the wrong end of the stick

(I'm a hired gun product shooter who would like to get more beauty and glamour in his book, and am seeking models looking to do the same. I have a high gloss style in my product photography which I'd like to carry over into future beauty and glam work. I'm also very much into the 40's Hollywood "George Hurrell" style and would like to do more of that type of shooting.)
does that look familiar

Yeah, it does. I'm just fuckin' around and having fun at my expense. It's my money, I'll spend it the way I want.

Sep 05 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Photographers who use cameras are lame. They are the ones who truly lack skill and talent. Real photographers are artists who just LOOK at moments in time and remember them.

Digital? Film? That junk is for lightweights.

Sep 05 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Yeah, it does. I'm just fuckin' around and having fun at my expense. It's my money, I'll spend it the way I want.

i think i ve laughed enough 4 the nite..... one thing i like with you Tony its your bike shot... u sure know your lighting...

Sep 05 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

GRHorn

New York, New York, US

JM Dean wrote:

JM:  suggest you try to shoot some ceramic glass, product photography has its quirks also.  Getting a good shot in any venue is capable of being tough, I do not diminish the photographer for being a product shooter.

Sep 05 06 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Anyone can take a picture, not everyone can make one.

Sep 05 06 06:50 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have two friends who work with products

One shoots

The other retouches

I also know a food stylist...

They have all said similar things to me from time to time....

things to the like of

"I have to make this ________ look like some thing the general public would want to F^%$"

Making a bowl of rice crispies look like something some one would like to F^%$ is not an easy task.

You dont have all day for a bowl of rice crispies for example , you need a bunch of bowls styled, and ready to go ,placed perfectly in the right place.
They they get soggy pretty fast , it is alot easier with computers these days , but a good food retoucher keps food looking like food....
It's the same with salad cheese etc , stuff starts to look like poop under the lights ,
Once again , there is more talent involved than just photography, there is communication skills and patience  not to mention retouching & styling.

Sep 05 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Black Ricco wrote:

You are correct, Sir Cheese.

I once had to shoot the interior of a Pontiac Trans am. They brought in a special car with a super immaculate interior and no top which had been cut off for lighting purposes.

There were four views.  It took nine lights to light the feature.

Biggest and hardest for me was a Kenworth Tractor with the trailer. 3 days. It was nice of them to cut that roof off for you. I think watches are the hardest thing to shoot.

Sep 05 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

lawsonpix

Havre de Grace, Maryland, US

JM Dean wrote:

I sit in my office 40 hours a week and get paid to shoot products.  Does it take talent?? If they are paying my 40 hours every week, and have been doing so for about 20 years, then I'd have to say yes.  Otherwise they would stop paying me.

Sep 05 06 06:54 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Black Ricco wrote:

Obviously you don't have a clue.

Product photography is probably the hardest and most time consuming photography there is.

Every photo has the absolutely perfect. You are working with 39mp cameras or Large format film cameras, with many many different lights. There is absolutely NO room for error. If you image is used in a Print ad there can be nothing wrong with it or the lighting.

This is probably the most technical photography there is, with most complicated setups. You have to work with product designers, product handlers/stylists and the the product marketers to create a perfect shot.

Fashion, glamour, PJ, or portrait are nothing compared to product. If you can shoot product well you can shoot anything.

Try it and I know that you would retract your ignorant statement.
M

Sep 05 06 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

JM Dean wrote:
Does it really take talent to shoot products?

Ummm.  Well, the answer is yes, of course.  And it pays pretty fuckin' well, too.

Sep 05 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Obviously you don't have a clue.

Product photography is probably the hardest and most time consuming photography there is.

Every photo has the absolutely perfect. You are working with 39mp cameras or Large format film cameras, with many many different lights. There is absolutely NO room for error. If you image is used in a Print ad there can be nothing wrong with it or the lighting.

This is probably the most technical photography there is, with most complicated setups. You have to work with product designers, product handlers/stylists and the the product marketers to create a perfect shot.

Fashion, glamour, PJ, or portrait are nothing compared to product. If you can shoot product well you can shoot anything.

Try it and I know that you would retract your ignorant statement.
M

UMMM you might want to check out BR's port he shoots product very well. I think he was joking in his post. I may not get along with the guy on here sometimes, but he can shoot product.

Sep 05 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

This site is getting to be a fucking joke!

So now we have all the "high powered" shooters out there who just disdain anything else but what "they" do......Who fucking cares!

I guess all those photograhers who came before us who only used natural light and real film cameras were only GWCs.....yeah, right!

Oh....only knowing how to light with a dozen STUDIO lights make you a professional of anything worth mentioning.....gee, ever hear of Franceso Scavullo....time and time shot covers using on one fucking light.....go try it sometimes....

Then we have the "tough guys".....Oh, you can only tuch my bike after you know me!!!.....oh...wow....I rode with the Outlaws....and now I know how to use photoshop.....well, gee I'm just fucking thrilled for you!

There is one thing to be said for the internet....it just brings the morons out in droves. Certainly makes things nice and safe to puff out all those inflated egos and turn little shits into bad ass bikers.....shit!....get back to your bars stools and your wet dreams.....taking a photo of a bike or just knowing how to spell Outlaw don't make you one! And to boot....you're a hardcore Republican....Now that is a fucking joke!

Sep 05 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
This site is getting to be a fucking joke!

So now we have all the "high powered" shooters out there who just disdain anything else but what "they" do......Who fucking cares!

I guess all those photograhers who came before us who only used natural light and real film cameras were only GWCs.....yeah, right!

Oh....only knowing how to light with a dozen STUDIO lights make you a professional of anything worth mentioning.....gee, ever hear of Franceso Scavullo....time and time shot covers using on one fucking light.....go try it sometimes....

Then we have the "tough guys".....Oh, you can only tuch my bike after you know me!!!.....oh...wow....I rode with the Outlaws....and now I know how to use photoshop.....well, gee I'm just fucking thrilled for you!

There is one thing to be said for the internet....it just brings the morons out in droves. Certainly makes things nice and safe to puff out all those inflated egos and turn little shits into bad ass bikers.....shit!....get back to your bars stools and your wet dreams.....taking a photo of a bike or just knowing how to spell Outlaw don't make you one! And to boot....you're a hardcore Republican....Now that is a fucking joke!

OH..ok Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?

Sep 05 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I have a theory...  photographers who think it doesn't take talent to do something else are trying to compensate for their own lack of skill in that area, or the area that is "true" photography.  "Well it's ok my fashion work sucks, it takes more skill than other kinds of photography".  To the guy whose "studio is his world..."  Why is it the sun doesn't count as a light source? (he started a thread whining about that one.)  Just because you don't know enough about how to use it well, doesn't make you more of a photographer.

The bottom line is that it takes skill to photogrpah all kinds of things.  Products provide much more difficult surfaces than human skin in terms of getting highlights in the right place.  But you guys don't want to hear that.  You want to hear "OH yes YOUR kind of photography is much tougher." 

Why this urge to be a photogrpaher over everyone else?  Simply put anyone who takes photographs purposefully is a photographer.  The keyword is "professional."  Stop wasting time feeling superior and go take some pictures.

Sep 05 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Product shooting does have its advantages when shootin' with the munchies.

https://www.pbase.com/gpaai/image/54356802/medium.jpg

Sep 05 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

RS Livingston

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Glad to see I am not the only commercial photographer who is shaking things up trying to do more model work...

Sep 05 06 09:37 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

E|||B wrote:
Photographers who use cameras are lame. They are the ones who truly lack skill and talent. Real photographers are artists who just LOOK at moments in time and remember them.

Digital? Film? That junk is for lightweights.

Yeah!

Sep 05 06 09:41 am Link