Forums > General Industry > How do you land a gig as a runway photographer?

Photographer

Michael Hidalgo

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I'm interested in shooting fashion week in Paris in October... but how does one get a gig like that? Do you have to go through a publishing house or agent????  Anybody have any leads in Paris?

Sep 04 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Well... you just don't "land" such a gig at one of the fashionweeks with no experience.

Real runway photography at those events is pretty much like the Superbowl (World Cup in Europe), where only a small elite shooters are being admitted to.

Too much money at stake.

So, what I suggest, shoot as many unpaid fashionshows as possible, until you get the timing correct and develop a feeling for the rhythm of the models walk, her eyeblinking frequence and that you can smoothly zoom out while she walks in while you keep her framed the whole time. Then you zoom in to get one or two three quarter shots or close ups and when she walks back, a large shot or two of the garment and eventually a close up of the garments back.

Then you switch immediately to catch the same sequence of the next model until the show is over.

Runway photography is an entire discipline on it's own.

Good luck!

Sep 04 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Just saw that you are in fact American... so you understand the concept of superbowl... lol, didn't see that at first.

Sep 06 06 07:09 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

The new American Photo magazine has some articles about being a photo assistant that you might find informative. I'm thinking you don't get a gig at Fashion Week without some serious experience under your belt and/or a Name Photographer to recommend you.

M

Sep 06 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

The Wandering Bohemian wrote:
Well... you just don't "land" such a gig at one of the fashionweeks with no experience.

Real runway photography at those events is pretty much like the Superbowl (World Cup in Europe), where only a small elite shooters are being admitted to.

Too much money at stake.

So, what I suggest, shoot as many unpaid fashionshows as possible, until you get the timing correct and develop a feeling for the rhythm of the models walk, her eyeblinking frequence and that you can smoothly zoom out while she walks in while you keep her framed the whole time. Then you zoom in to get one or two three quarter shots or close ups and when she walks back, a large shot or two of the garment and eventually a close up of the garments back.

Then you switch immediately to catch the same sequence of the next model until the show is over.

Runway photography is an entire discipline on it's own.

Good luck!

And i thought i was the only one doing that kind of things......

thats one of the best advice i v read in a while!!!!

Sep 07 06 01:05 am Link