Forums > General Industry > General advice for do-it-yourself at shoots

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

Since I haven't had the pleasure of having a MUA or a hairstylist at a shoot yet, it has been left up to me to work with what I got....

So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice; even if it is just saying what is the best type of makeup to purchase or a quick, yet classic hairstyle??

Of course without giving away trade secrets smile

Sep 04 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

Sorry for the double post - my computer decided to spit-up while trying to post.

Sep 04 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

Yasmin Al Tellawy

Tonbridge, England, United Kingdom

Well then I would suggest going simple.. Basic make-up so its not too hard to do.. And messed up hair.. Perfect!
With make-up.. Id just say do your foundation in a natural or bright light so you can see exactly what your doing, so when you go out to shoot your make-up isn't all blotchy! (Oh and Always moisturise before foundation)
As for clothes, I suggest just going with things that you would never dare to wear day to day, something crazy and different..
Play about on yourself some evening, trying make up, trying hairstyles etc to see what suits you instead of just trying something on the day of a shoot!
Just my 2 pennies worth!

Yasmin xx

Sep 04 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

Yasmin Al Tellawy wrote:
Well then I would suggest going simple.. Basic make-up so its not too hard to do.. And messed up hair.. Perfect!
With make-up.. Id just say do your foundation in a natural or bright light so you can see exactly what your doing, so when you go out to shoot your make-up isn't all blotchy! (Oh and Always moisturise before foundation)
As for clothes, I suggest just going with things that you would never dare to wear day to day, something crazy and different..
Play about on yourself some evening, trying make up, trying hairstyles etc to see what suits you instead of just trying something on the day of a shoot!
Just my 2 pennies worth!

Yasmin xx

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm now trying to figure out what clothes/outfits I should use for an upcoming shoot.  I'm thinking I'm too conservative - then again being over 40 I don't know how "sexy" I could even pull off.

Sep 04 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

If the lighting were better, this would be your best image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1192584

Do more like that. smile  Also get some slightly dressier/classier images and outfits. I think you should aim for commercial type things rather than glamour or fashion.

Sep 04 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

e-string wrote:
If the lighting were better, this would be your best image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1192584

Do more like that. smile  Also get some slightly dressier/classier images and outfits. I think you should aim for commercial type things rather than glamour or fashion.

Thanks for the advice and the kind comments - I am actually on the hunt for some dressier outfits.  I think I found one yesterday, but continuing the search...

PS - love your port

Sep 04 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

- Add a good primer below the foundation to help smooth the skin.
- Make sure the eyes aren't overdone if you are shooting in afternoon sun.
- Remember that most of us photographers often like to bump up the saturation a bit. Don't go overboard on the lip color.
- Sunlight is harsh, a well-controlled studio shoot would literally show you in a better light.

Sep 04 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Once I dragged a model into Nordstroms to a make-up counter and had them do her  make up. We'd go outside and shoot pictures. She'd wash her face off and we'd head over to the next counter and had new make up done. After we were done with Nordstroms. I took her over to Macy's and started over.

She learned a lot from that one day. The sales ladies were very tolerant and they got some business.

Sep 04 06 06:13 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Why do I believe you actually did that Leonard???

wink

To the model why don't you ask the photographer what they want for the shoot?

Sep 04 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

LOL.... that was the best post yet....that was funny..

I prefer a makeup person at my shoots, they are not that expensive to have on the set and I think is a must if a photographer wants to get the most from the shoot

Iona Lynn wrote:

wink

To the model why don't you ask the photographer what they want for the shoot?

Sep 04 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

wink

Are you picking on me because I spent a whole day dragging you around Napa and Pope Valley? Because if you are.... Oh, never mind.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060904/19/44fcbf8d0dead.jpg

AND why haven't you turned in your assignments yet?

Sorry, got side tracked there. Different skin types require different foundations. Oily skin, dry skin, mixed skin types. You also need a very good eye to get the correct color.

A translucent powder sets the makeup after you get everything on and smooths it out. You really need good makeup experience for that. Yvette's in Carson City and I've worked with her in Reno. If you want I can get you in touch with her - she works in a Salon in Reno.

Sep 04 06 07:29 pm Link