Forums > General Industry > Somewhere between guilt and elation

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Today was yard sale day in Pomona Ca. So I buy a paper and see an estate sale in my area. There is a small sign saying estate sale.

I go in. Looks like very few items left. I look a the camera on a dusty shelf, ewww $110 for an old point and shoot. This doesn't look good.

I go into a back bedroom, and there are two racks of clothes. From the 50's, 60's and 70's. And they are a dollar each. WOW!!!

I'm excited. I buy roughtly 25 dresses, 2 slips, 2 underskirts etc... for a total of $37.00.

I think this is neat. I let the lady know that these are going to a loving home as I am a photographer.

They are size 10-14 so I might actually fit in them, but otherwise I can always pin them to the models.

ah-hem... I mean to fit the models smile

I go home. I start unpacking them. A funny label catches my eye. Alfred Shaheen master printer. I realise it does look hand printed on some sort of silk like fabric.

Ohhh.. wouldn't it be neat if this was worth like $20 or $30 dollars I think.

I go to the internet.

It isn't worth 20 or 30 dollars, apparantly with it being hand signed and all, look on the right hand hem, it is worth between $75-$150.

I start looking up the other dresses. twenty dollars, twenty dollar, fifty dollars.

than $150.00

a second shaheen dress--- crap

a 1950's plush dressing gown-- double crap

ok good good, we are going down in prices 20.00 here 35.00 there

Henry Lee: about 20

Tucker Grossman: $50--- eeep
and it fits... my 5 foot 8 inch 180 pound butt, it fits that

Nan Leslie rockabilly dress? Who knows? I hope less than $50

Vintage Henry Lee with jacket and belt....

1940's dressing gown, who knows?

1950's Lorraine slip: $15-30

1940's Seamprufe slip between $15-85

so here is why I feel guilt, I just paid $35 for wardrobe woth between $500-$1000

and it fits me
and I look good

Sep 03 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Awesome for you! And don't feel guilty about it; like you said they are all going to a good home. Wear them and be happy!

-P-

Sep 03 06 09:14 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Good god, that's like winning the lottery!  Color me jealous.  Congrats;-)

Sep 03 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Star wrote:
so here is why I feel guilt, I just paid $35 for wardrobe woth between $500-$1000

Star, Star, Star....

What you're describing is what's referred to by most as a "good deal."  No need for guilt here, you paid for them.  Way to go!

Here's my best deal I ever got at a garage sale. Once I saw a painting in a crappy frame for $5 at a garage sale. I bought it just because I wanted the glass (it was pretty large).  I hauled it around for 5 or 6 years as I moved from on apt to another when I was a student. As I was packing to move again I was about to toss it out but noticed that the painting had come loose inside the frame and someone had taken great care to suspend it from the mat.  I took it apart and discovered it was an original brown wash and ink drawing by a fairly well known British painter done in 1799!  The price written on the back of the mat was $400 in 1960.  About 6 years ago we spent about $300 getting it nicely matted and framed and it's now over one of the fireplaces.  The psychology is so funny, before I knew it was valuable, I didn't really care for it. Now, I love it.

Star wrote:
and it fits me
and I look good

So it's not just a "good" deal, it's a great deal!

ENJOY IT!!

Sep 03 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Life is short.  Keep the elation and leave the guilt for someone else.

Sep 03 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Star wrote:
Tucker Grossman: $50--- eeep
and it fits... my 5 foot 8 inch 180 pound butt, it fits that

How about some pictures of yourself in your newly acquired vintage dresses?

Sep 03 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i absolutely love this feeling.

i find stuff in thrift stores every now and then that i know i can resell.
my most recent victory was finding a vintage Kentucky Wildcats jersey for a dollar or so, that ended up selling (on eBay, of course) to a japanese collector for $88. that's not a typo. he paid eighty eight dollars for this:

https://www.friedbumblebees.com/auctions/wildcats4.jpg

Sep 03 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

weird double post, so i'll just ramble some more

i also had a run where i sold three shirts for $20, $35, and $53 each. and they were probably only a buck or two too.

Sep 03 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

I have a friend that basically does this for a living. Buys things cheap at estate sales, flips them on eBay for 500%-1000% what he paid.

Sep 03 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

despite my lucky finds with these men's-sized tshirts, the real money in this is with women's clothing.
which is good for some, but it sucks for me because i don't know what i'm looking for. so i can't live off doing just this, but it's definitely a nice source of side-income.

Sep 03 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

Miss Lindsay Sass

Albany, New York, US

I wish I had your luck.

Sep 03 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

seeing this thread again just reminded me to check my auctions.

Sep 04 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I just want to see pictures when you start pinning these dresses to models..

*wicked grin*

Sep 04 06 09:56 am Link