Forums > General Industry > This tattoo won't hurt...

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Suggestions for a technique to software post process a tattoo, onto a model's skin, where none existed before?  Has anyone even seen this done successfully?

Thanks.

Sep 02 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

bmjg

Longwood, Florida, US

I know it's not going to help you but the next time you want good looking fast Tats go with the Iron on ones.  I saw a guy with one the other day looked real enough.

PS could be a pain post process.

Sep 02 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Duvall wrote:
I know it's not going to help you but the next time you want good looking fast Tats go with the Iron on ones.  I saw a guy with one the other day looked real enough.

Agreed... it would be challenge to make it look right.  But the upside would be a tat of anything you wanted.  The store-bought-stick-on type do look good though.

Sep 02 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Perreault

Socorro, New Mexico, US

In a magazine article I read a "how to" in Photoshop of putting a flag over someone's fact and have it look like it was painted on. Offhand I recall that you have to create a displacement file so that the image you want "painted" has a 3D look, and the image layer had to be in "soft light" mode.

I'll try to remember to bring the mag in tomorrow and post the tutorial here. You can probably adapt this technique to creating a virtual tattoo. You'll probably have to use the warp tool in order to shape the tattoo more realistically.

Tony

Sep 02 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Duvall wrote:

"Iron on?" That's gotta hurt!

Sep 02 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Duvall wrote:

Agreed... it would be challenge to make it look right.  But the upside would be a tat of anything you wanted.  The store-bought-stick-on type do look good though.

Keep looking -- there is card stock and special inks that you can buy that will allow you to print your own from your puter.

Sep 02 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

Hmmm     fun idea

Sep 02 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Perreault

Socorro, New Mexico, US

OK, I have the magazine tutorial. The magazine is "Photoshop Creative," a British import, and it runs about $15 US (does include a CD). The tutorial is on pg 74 of the current issue (11).

The poster asks how to create in Photoshop the painted faces w/ the national flags as seen at the World Cup. In a nutshell, here is how to do it:

1) Open the image, ideally the face (or other body part/whatever) will have both shadow and highlight detail.
2) Duplicate the layer and desaturate it (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate)
3) Increase the contrast (Image > Adjustments > Equalize) of the image and blur it slightly (Filters > Blur > Gaussian w/ value of 2.2)
4) Save this blurred grayscale as a displacement map (Save As > filename.psd)
5) Delete the top layer - no longer needed
6) Create a new layer that will hold the image to be tattooed / painted; load the image / creat it and position it where you want it to be
7) Make the painted image active, then Filter > Distort > Displace; set the horizontal and vertical displacement to 5 each instead of the default 10; then load in the displacement.psd file you created in step 4
8) Change the displaced image layer mode to Soft Light w/ a 74% opacity; use a soft edge eraser to remove portions of the displaced image where it doesn't belong - such as over eyes, teeth, hair, etc. (You can also use a Layer Mask to do this with better control.)

I've tried this a couple of times, but I don't think that I had a proper photo w/ good shadows and highlights. If you want to fake the look of a tattoo, say over a thigh, you may also need to use the warp tool to bend the tattoo so it follows the curve of the skin.

Tony

Sep 04 06 10:34 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What about a makeup artist who does airbrush tattoos?  I am sure there are places where you can get custom made stencils...

Sep 04 06 10:37 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

http://www.tatstore.com/

^they have a section that says custom stencils.... not sure if it is what you need though...

Sep 04 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I'd say spend the money on a good MUA and have them create one

Sep 05 06 12:29 am Link