Forums > General Industry > photography prenup!

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

Alot of the photographs I take are of my girlfriend. I would not ask her for a release, because thats almost like saying "when we stop dating i want to make sure i can still use your images". no one wants to think about breaking up. To me, it would be insensitive and asking for trouble. It's like a marriage prenup. Now, as a business practice this isn't a good idea, i realize...But how would you handle the situation??

Sep 01 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hmmm, I don't think I'd be offended if my significant other asked me to sign a release.  Business is business and covering your ass with a release is smart business.  If you ever get in legal trouble you'll need the release and proof of age to cover your ass, that's a great way of explaining it to the girlfriend:-)

Sep 01 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Lexi Evans wrote:
Alot of the photographs I take are of my girlfriend. I would not ask her for a release, because thats almost like saying "when we stop dating i want to make sure i can still use your images". no one wants to think about breaking up. To me, it would be insensitive and asking for trouble. It's like a marriage prenup. Now, as a business practice this isn't a good idea, i realize...But how would you handle the situation??

Get her to sign a release.  It is indeed saying "when we stop dating i want to make sure i can still use your images," which is a totally logical, common-sense approach.   Are you really that sure you're going to be together forever and ever?

If she refuses to sign off, you'll know everything you need to know about her in one fell swoop.

Sep 01 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

sorry, relationships do NOT last forever. Breakups can very NASTY.

You need a release from EVERYONE.

I want , my stereo, the dog, my CDs , and my fucking photos !

Sep 01 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Lexi Evans wrote:

If you have any thought of commercial usage later, you need to either get the release now, or start shooting another girl. Under the best of circumstances, getting a released sign after the fact can be tricky. Load it up with the emotional baggage of a breakup, and the chances of her saying no go up dramatically.

It seems funny, but the truth is, people who love each other do paperwork preparing for death and so forth all the time. It seems funny to talk about it, but talking about the disposition of pictures is no different than talking about a health power of attorney, will, or any of that stuff. I guess the DIFFERENCE is that in your case, you may want to use the pictures while your lover is still alive.

Good luck with that!
Paul

Sep 01 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

One way to handle it is to tell her that no one will use a photo of her lovely face and figure without seeing the release form first and you are trying to get some into print for her.Not just a white lie either,no media will publish or use an image without a copy of the release first.

Sep 01 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Get the release. To this day I regret not getting a release from one of my 1st shoots because i think they were some of my best shots and I can't use any of them without the release.

Sep 01 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Explain that its just a matter of records, incase of an audit.

Sep 01 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
One way to handle it is to tell her that no one will use a photo of her lovely face and figure without seeing the release form first and you are trying to get some into print for her.Not just a white lie either,no media will publish or use an image without a copy of the release first.

So in all the pictures of Brittney\Angelina\Paris\Lindsey, doing completely unflattering things, you see in mags, they signed a release?
Nope

Sep 01 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Iris Swope wrote:

So in all the pictures of Brittney\Angelina\Paris\Lindsey, doing completely unflattering things, you see in mags, they signed a release?
Nope

They didn't have to....they are considered in the public domain so as long as you don't use those photos in an advertisment you're pretty much free to publish them anywhere.

As far as "girlfriends" go.....they are private individuals and it would be considered an invasion of privacy if you publish those....unless of course they are doing something "newsworthy"..

Do yourself a favor....if you break up....ditch the pics....ex-girlfriends can be as bad as ex-wives.....I've had both and it's just not worth the hassle.

Sep 01 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

OMG, FKVPhotoGraphics is right.  I agree! (plop).

Good job, FKV!

(nothing like the occasional voice of experience)

-Glenn

Sep 01 06 05:21 pm Link