Forums > General Industry > Wedding Photographers

Model

Nyx Valentine

Aliso Viejo, California, US

*If this is the wrong section, my apologies, feel free to move it.  Wasn't sure where to go with it.*

A friend of mine is getting married in the near future, and is scoping out wedding photographers.  She's not quite sure where to start, so some advice for me to pass along would be great.

She's not looking for anything huge and fancy, basically documenting the event, and a few prints for close family, etc..  Any thoughts on general price range, etc.?

Also, she's having trouble finding people- any advice on where to find wedding photographers?  I'm afraid my network doesn't have very many smile

*She's located in Southern California- Inland Empire area*

Sep 01 06 04:01 am Link

Photographer

James Cessna

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I guess she should start withthe yellow pages and let her fingers do the walking. She should find photographers that concentrate on weddings but she will be paying a great deal considering she is in Southern cal. Always preview the photographer's work and decide on her budget for one and work within those means.  I have wedding package to suit all price ranges, but I'm in Tennessee. Good luck.

Sep 01 06 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

I found my wedding photographer through one of those wedding sites (weddings.com or something like that, it's been awhile).  Yellow pages, referral sites and the like, that's where I would go.  I do believe on some of those referral sites there are ratings/reviews posted from past customers too.

Sep 01 06 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

NyxValentine wrote:
*If this is the wrong section, my apologies, feel free to move it.  Wasn't sure where to go with it.*

A friend of mine is getting married in the near future, and is scoping out wedding photographers.  She's not quite sure where to start, so some advice for me to pass along would be great.

She's not looking for anything huge and fancy, basically documenting the event, and a few prints for close family, etc..  Any thoughts on general price range, etc.?

Also, she's having trouble finding people- any advice on where to find wedding photographers?  I'm afraid my network doesn't have very many smile

*She's located in Southern California- Inland Empire area*

If she wants just a disc with the images on it, she can find somebody for $500 to $800. The quality will range from pure crap to not too bad. A really good photographer with a nice creative album design will cost $3000 to $5000.

If she wants a cheap wedding photographer, she should look on Craigslist.com. If she wants a good wedding photographer, she should go to a bridal show or two. She'll be able to see a bunch of them in a short time.

Southern California has some very talented wedding photographers.

Regards,
Paul

Sep 01 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

She can just use the phone book, and web sites, but not all have web sites that do them justice.  But also needs to meet the photographer. 

Decide on her budget for the photography, I read some time ago on one of the wedding planning sites it should be about 10% of the total wedding cost, if you believe or go by things like that.

What runs the cost up are the albums, if she wants the bound book full page, heavy gauge pages it just cost.

She could cover my expenses and fly me out, and I'd be glad to do it.

Sep 01 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Make sure she knows who the photographer will be. Oftentimes a studio will send out a ringer who does not have the experience you thought you were hiring.

Talk with friends who have recently been married and see what they were delivered.  Seeing a couples album is often more informative than seeing a sample album of the photographers which will have his best work over many weddings. Seeing actual delivered albums gives you a much better idea of what the person will be able to accomplish.

Be very careful about hiring someone who doesn't do weddings often.  It's a very high stress job with many pressures and experience pays off big time. There's no room for failures at an event like this so the person needs to have all the backup equipment. Good wedding photographers are usually good people persons, moreso than many other photographic specialties because of the pressure and the huge number of people that need to be navigated though.

Sep 01 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

go to a tux shop or bridal shop they will have a list

Sep 01 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

Curt Burgess wrote:
Make sure she knows who the photographer will be. Oftentimes a studio will send out a ringer who does not have the experience you thought you were hiring.

That's worth repeating!
I was a wedding DJ for over 10 years and it is the biggest racket going to have a very experienced Photog or DJ, usually the business owner, do the customer contact. Then they will send out some total dork they pay pennies to actually do the gig.
You want to insist on meeting the actual photog who will do the gig.

Sep 01 06 02:28 pm Link