Forums > General Industry > Diluting my own market: good mojo or waste of time

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Diluting my own market: good mojo or waste of time?

I have had a number of people make comments about some of the advice I have been able to offer. I have several more pieces written as well that are not fleshed out, I’d like to expound on a few more ideas as well.

I’m a bit torn on the issue though…

I have had a newbie local *model* once tell me she wanted to get into *modeling* then spend a lot of time helping other new models…

I think I almost slapped her for being ignorant and diluting my market, ie of she takes these girls under her wing and helps them now there are even more models running about an fewer jobs for her to pick from I told her so…(Then she never got back to me about that TFP shoot)

So what can I accomplish by helping others? Or is it just the theory that those who will listen and study and work hard are the ones who will listen and work hard and study anyways, and those who want life handed to them on a plate will still never amount to anything.

I was given a lot of help in the beginning by an older more experienced model when I started. She is the one ya all can thank for all the figure work she conned me into it. *hugs to the Shiva*

Aug 31 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Karma.

Aug 31 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Well, it makes you cooler in my book..

Which is probably a good indication that you ought to cut it out. wink

Aug 31 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I think I'm the photographic equivalent.  My web site is extensive (and down right now, since the web host got hacked big time), with over 5000 images.  I post several images from each sitting with a model, and I write commentary about what I was thinking and what was happening while we were making the images.  I get lots of good feedback on my commentary.

I work hard to build a little local artistic community.  Every year, I host a get-together for all the local artists & models.  I have an e-mail distribution list, which I use to share information about traveling models, interesting locations, and other gossip & news.  I've also loaned out my house as a location for other photographers.  I've also taken photographers into my darkroom for some lessons.

We try to share.  If a new model appears, we tell everyone about her.  If there is a warning that we need to spread, we share that, too.

So, I figure it this way.  Art isn't a competition -- it is a self-exploration.  We are all here temporarily, and if we can pass on knowledge & experience, then we are all the better for it.

So, stay fabulous, Iona.  The cream will rise to the top, and I'm am sure that you are not diminishing your appeal by being open & generous.

Aug 31 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Creamy Iona..

Why the hell you trying to give me wood at work?

Hell.. Now I can't stand up!

Aug 31 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Diluting my own market: good mojo or waste of time?

I have had a number of people make comments about some of the advice I have been able to offer. I have several more pieces written as well that are not fleshed out, I’d like to expound on a few more ideas as well.

I’m a bit torn on the issue though…

I have had a newbie local *model* once tell me she wanted to get into *modeling* then spend a lot of time helping other new models…

I think I almost slapped her for being ignorant and diluting my market, ie of she takes these girls under her wing and helps them now there are even more models running about an fewer jobs for her to pick from I told her so…(Then she never got back to me about that TFP shoot)

So what can I accomplish by helping others? Or is it just the theory that those who will listen and study and work hard are the ones who will listen and work hard and study anyways, and those who want life handed to them on a plate will still never amount to anything.

I was given a lot of help in the beginning by an older more experienced model when I started. She is the one ya all can thank for all the figure work she conned me into it. *hugs to the Shiva*

Dear dear Iona.   YOu won't be able to help those who don't want help.  You won't be able to help those who aren't serious or who aren't flexible.   You can help those who are receptive, the same way you were.

There is no such thing as dilution of spirit and soul.  100 other art models in CA won't dilute what you have or offer.   If anything 100 equally inspired and cool men and women might help shift beginning photographers who think that girl-on-beach-with-ass-up-in-air shots are the only way a female can be portrayed and be sexy.

Aug 31 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Iona = Flexible

https://img3.modelmayhem.com/060328/09/442958197bd3f.jpg

Aug 31 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

I dont feel obligated to share what I know or have learned to just anyone out of some noble concern for art's sake or the "community" just becasue someone asks me with a smile.

I believe that there should always be give and take ( not unlike marriage, where the husband gives and the wife takes smile ) and the traditional way of learning an art or craft was to join a guild or a school and pay your dues - money and labor- as an assitant, understudy, gopher, in exchange for the insight and knowledge given by the teacher / master.

I had a call from a guy who bought a camera from me last year, wanting advice on shooting weddings. I had already given him advice several times on exposure, proper lighting, etc, but declined the wedding questions, as that is diluting MY market ( OK, I know, one more wedding shooter wont make a difference). However, had we had a working relationship, where maybe he offered to assist me in the studio or at my own weddings, I probably would have helped him.

To put this in context, there are 2 other photographers that I have recently helped, during the course of their renting my studio, with posing, lighting, general photography questions, that are now out on their own shooting weddings, so its not like I'm afraid of competition. I know they were picking my brains the whole thime they were shooting and I didnt mind, but at least we had a working relationship and I felt I got something in return for my advice. One is now a regular customer and the other referred me to a good makeup artist.

Aug 31 06 01:48 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I answer questions from aspiring full figured models all the time.  Mostly they end up getting sucked into glamour and pay sites, and oh well to that.  But I actually want to dilute my market, so I'm excited when they stick with the art. 

When I first started and got to shoot almost immediately with several high profile photographers, people kept asking me how I did it - how did I get their attention, out of all the models out there?  There wasn't any great secret to it; I was more or less the only model like me doing what I was doing.  If a photographer was inclined to work with a fat model, I'd probably be that model.

Now there are a few more who I think have real potential, like Mockingbird Girl and Jayne Jones, and I can't tell you how that tickles me.  I've never tried to make a full time career out of modeling, and I can see the point approaching on the horizon where I won't be doing much of it anymore.  When I stop, I want to know that there are confident, talented big models out there continuing to make art and change lives.

For me, dilution is where it's at!

Aug 31 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Shyly wrote:
I answer questions from aspiring full figured models all the time.  Mostly they end up getting sucked into glamour and pay sites, and oh well to that.  But I actually want to dilute my market, so I'm excited when they stick with the art. 

When I first started and got to shoot almost immediately with several high profile photographers, people kept asking me how I did it - how did I get their attention, out of all the models out there? There wasn't any great secret to it; I was more or less the only model like me doing what I was doing.  If a photographer was inclined to work with a fat model, I'd probably be that model.

For me, dilution is where it's at!

Yeah and no.

You're special.  Full stop.

Aug 31 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Shyly wrote:
Now there are a few more who I think have real potential, like Mockingbird Girl and Jayne Jones, and I can't tell you how that tickles me.

Anyone else suddenly have an urge to shoot MBGirl and Jayne Jones tickling the hell out of Shyly?

Anyone want to kick in for travel expenses?

Aug 31 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I never had a problem "helping" out another photographer. The problem I had was with photographers who want you to give them step by step instructions on how to shoot a particular project.

Photography is a creative process. I you want me to give you exact detailed instructions I may as well send out a robot. Helping yes, doing by remote control, no.

Aug 31 06 09:22 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I always help out newer girls who ask me questions.  I don't consider other girls competition as far as what I do.  I mean, someone working with me wants my look and many of these girls have different looks but reach out to me because I'm in the same genre as they are interested in.  So, it doesn't hurt to help out and give advice in my book:-)

Aug 31 06 09:25 pm Link