Forums > General Industry > advice? suggestions? ideas?

Model

A M A N D A

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Hey MM.

I am going to this modeling competition in about a week and a half, and 2/3rds of it is runway and photo shoot. I was wondering if you all could give me wardrobe suggestions for both of those, and also some ideas for 3 poses i can do at the shoot. Keep in mind that it is a competition, so I want to do something that will set me apart from the crowd and make people say 'wow'.

Thanks smile

Aug 30 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Don't open your wallet, NO MATTER what they tell you about models being "discovered" in malls and how much their school or photographers or paid competitions/conventions will help you.

Read through www.newmodels.com and understand what you are *probably* dealing with, a company that makes their money on schools and competitions and has just enough legit work to claim they "find jobs for their clients."

Now, for the fun part! I've shot mall "fashion council" type stuff, nothing bigger, but here's my recommendation based on *that* type of runway work:

Outfit: casual, with heels, nice skirt that goes below the knees and is flowing, or jeans. Multiple layers on top, long beaded necklaces. Keep earrings simple or don't wear any. A bag is a good accessory. Avoid short skirts, capri pants, shorts, anything you can trip on, etc. Make sure everything fits well without being tight enough to show showing VPL or visible bra.

Walk: big, confident steps, but not stomping. Stop at the end of the runway for two turns (left-right-left or right-left-right), hands on hips, before turning and going back up. Video yourself and look at it. Pick a good expression: a playful smirk is likely to get more attention than a high-fashion "bored" look. Give the photographer a decent chance before turning back, but don't stare at him waiting for your shot (it creeps us out! wink).

Aug 30 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

A M A N D A

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Don't open your wallet, NO MATTER what they tell you about models being "discovered" in malls and how much their school or photographers or paid competitions/conventions will help you.

no worries, i am not paying anything to be in the competition. their money will come from the winner, who will get a contract with a clause that states the company will get 20% of money made from bookings.

and thanks so much for your advice! i appreciate it

Aug 30 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

A M A N D A

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

*bump*

Aug 31 06 08:11 pm Link