Forums > General Industry > Milan or Paris ?

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Which would you consider the worlds fashion  captial and why ?

Aug 30 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

they are equally important and equally influential

Aug 30 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

My favorite? That would be L-O-N-D-O-N. More for what's published than what's designed... Secondarily, for how much design talent matriculates there (and the two phenomena are linked). Admittedly #4 on the list of the big 4, though.

Aug 30 06 04:54 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

paris i think, (not coz i live here)..... they are both major players, for sure, and there is little in it (not that it can ever really be a competition), but u only have to ask any of the major model agencies in milan what (if any) negative things have happened to their industry in milan over the last 10 years, and i bet most of them will say 'atleast a 1/4 of our work has moved to paris'.
there has been a shift from shooting alot of stuff in milan to shooting it in paris, specially over the last 5 years....what does that mean(?) who the hell knows! :-/

Aug 30 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

yes gavin you're correct, definately paris on the collateral parts of the business. the designer end of the business seems to still be more in italy still, and the formal design (furnishings, etc.) if you include that in fashion - which i do - is clearly italian heavy. i do feel they are equally important, however, from an influence standpoint. certainly both are more important than New York.

Aug 30 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:
yes gavin you're correct, definately paris on the collateral parts of the business. the designer end of the business seems to still be more in italy still, and the formal design (furnishings, etc.) if you include that in fashion - which i do - is clearly italian heavy. i do feel they are equally important, however, from an influence standpoint. certainly both are more important than New York.

i would agree also......if u take in manufacturing and design etc, then italy holds the fort.....as far as fashion shoots and marketing, paris is the hub for sure. from a purist fashion point of view, NY comes 3rd to both i think......simply coz the top selling brands there (and alot of the biggest photographers) are mostly all european anyway. wink

Aug 30 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

All things being equal, Paris is a much prettier, more cosmopolitan exciting city, and there are more shoots, more scenes, more magazines, more of everything.
When I think of stunning design, and the world's best shoes, shirts, suits, etc, I think of Italy.
But when I think of the word "fashion," I think of Paris.

Aug 30 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
All things being equal, Paris is a much prettier, more cosmopolitan exciting city, and there are more shoots, more scenes, more magazines, more of everything.
When I think of stunning design, and the world's best shoes, shirts, suits, etc, I think of Italy.
But when I think of the word "fashion," I think of Paris.

hah, i was gonna pull the 'paris is much prettier' card out too, but i thought that might be an unfair stab in milans back wink lol

Aug 30 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

well living in milan and having worked and lived in Paris I think it is safe to say that Milan leads the two as far as fashion design and world influence are concerned.
but if we are talking creative fashion photography then probably there is more happening in Barstow than here in Milan. No one here respects the photographer as they once did as a creative force. They are prepared to spend the big bucks on the models, not on the photographer in Milan. There is little or no creativity here photograhically speaking and in that repect Paris trumps it fair and square.

oh and yes.....after 16 years Milan is still a dump of a city!!! The only probelm I have with Paris are the French Parisians! wink

For fashion and design
1. Milan
2. Tokyo
3. Paris
4. New York
5. London
6. Barstow

For creative and fashion leading photography
1. Paris
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. New York
5. Barstow
6. Milan

Aug 30 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

photofashion wrote:
.....after 16 years Milan is still a dump of a city!!! The only probelm I have with Paris are the French Parisians! wink

lol, i just ignore them......u know, they same thing they do to you wink

Aug 30 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

BorisG Photographer

photofashion wrote:
well living in milan and having worked and lived in Paris I think it is safe to say that Milan leads the two as far as fashion design and world influence are concerned.
but if we are talking creative fashion photography then probably there is more happening in Barstow than here in Milan. No one here respects the photographer as they once did as a creative force. They are prepared to spend the big bucks on the models, not on the photographer in Milan. There is little or no creativity here photograhically speaking and in that repect Paris trumps it fair and square.

oh and yes.....after 16 years Milan is still a dump of a city!!! The only probelm I have with Paris are the French Parisians! wink

I DO FULLY AGREE WITH THIS - PHOTOGRAPHERS IN MILAN HAVE LITTLE RESPECT!

Aug 30 06 08:06 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

atere wrote:

I DO FULLY AGREE WITH THIS - PHOTOGRAPHERS IN MILAN HAVE LITTLE RESPECT!

Have you seen the movie A Day Without A Mexican? Maybe you guys need to transplant that idea with photographers in Milan...

Aug 30 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

photofashion wrote:
For fashion and design
1. Milan
2. Tokyo
3. Paris
4. New York
5. London
6. Barstow

1. Paris
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. New York
5. Barstow
6. Milan

LOL!

Aug 30 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

photofashion wrote:
For fashion and design
1. Milan
2. Tokyo
3. Paris
4. New York
5. London
6. Barstow

1. Paris
2. London
3. Tokyo
4. New York
5. Barstow
6. Milan

very cute... lol... and 5/6s accurate *grin

Aug 30 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

oldguysrule wrote:

very cute... lol... and 5/6s accurate *grin

yeah you got me..Milan shouldn't even be in the second list!! smile

Aug 31 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

"We were somewhere around Barstow - on the edge of the desert - when the drugs began to take hold..."

Aug 31 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

photofashion wrote:
5. Barstow

?

Aug 31 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

Ched wrote:

?

well since youve never been published in the http://www.desertdispatch.com/ i guess irony is lost on you wink

Aug 31 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

plus its the home of Taco bell!

Aug 31 06 03:40 pm Link