Forums > General Industry > Agency Test Shoot

Photographer

reflexpixel

San Antonio, Texas, US

So, a model whom I worked with in developing her portfolio just told me that her agency will not use the photos I shot for her because their in house photographer did not them AT HER EXPENSE. 

Meaning they only use test photos shot by their photographer at their models expense. 

It has been my experience that agencies that do this are basically scamming models.  I'm I totally off base here? 

Thanks,

Carlos

Aug 29 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kinga LB

Brooklyn, New York, US

Actualy yes that is a scam. I test for an agency for free...so that they get photos for their models and I get good models for my portfolio...atleast this is  the arrangement for NOW. And YES the whole in house photog is only to make THEM money ...otherwsie if someone did a good job with her photos then why else would they not want to use them Total scam agency...you've all heard of these places.

Aug 29 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

No, they are not scamming models.  The agency bookers know exactly what their clients want to see and have photographers who shoot exactly what the bookers want.  They will sometimes allow others' work in if it is exactly what they need to book the models however.

All those "exactly's" add up to very few pictures not made by a photographer the booker trusts.

That said, there are also dishonest bookers who do get kickbacks from equally dishonest photographers.  But if it's a good agency, those folks don't last beacause the business of an agency depends on placing models and collecting their fees in competition with other agencies who are trying to do the same thing.

-Don

Aug 29 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Sclesky

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Perhaps what you shot wasn't what the agency was wanting for her book. I will admit I have shot for a large franchise modeling school before...and yes they do charge alot more than what photography, makeup, etc cost. Often the owner of the school I shot for would ask my opinion on images that were not shot by me...if they were good enough to use in their books. I would always give honest opinions. Usually they weren't up to par. But when they were...they would use them. Agenices are very picky about what they send off to clients and you have to know exactly what to shoot. I guess the question we should ask...who is her agency?

Aug 29 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What probably happened, is the model walked into an agency with the photos that you took "for her portfolio," and they told her to throw them out, and recommended another photographer to her. This other photographer would charge her, but he would also be able to give her the photos that she needs to book jobs.

It happens all the time - as Don said, the agency knows exactly what the client wants to see, and they know photographers who will be able to produce that exact look.

There's also a chance that the "agency" and "photographer" are working on some sort of scheme where it's free to be represented by the agency, but you have to pay the photographer, who kicks money back to the agency, and there aren't any actual jobs being booked.

It could be either, but I wouldn't say it's a scam unless I had more information.

pixelreflexcom wrote:
So, a model whom I worked with in developing her portfolio just told me that her agency will not use the photos I shot for her because their in house photographer did not them AT HER EXPENSE. 

Meaning they only use test photos shot by their photographer at their models expense. 

It has been my experience that agencies that do this are basically scamming models.  I'm I totally off base here? 

Thanks,

Carlos

Aug 29 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Actually, the original poster is in TX.  I'd guess that the model involved is also in TX.

Texas is one of a few states where Talent Agencies must be licensed and are strictly regulated.  Texas law prohibits the agency to act in the manner that the original poster described, therefore is operating illegally and should be reported.

Texas Law wrote:
Sec. 2105.202. Requirement to Use Certain Services Prohibited.

A talent agency may not require an applicant or artist to subscribe to or use a specific publication, video or audio tape, postcard service, advertisement service, resume service, photographer, or acting or modeling school or workshop.

In addition, it seems as though the agency charged an 'up front fee' by requiring the model to pay them for the photo services.  This is also illegal.

Texas Talent Agency Law FAQ wrote:
2. Can they charge me an up-front fee?

No. The statute and rules prohibit a Talent Agency from charging up front fees.

The same laws are in effect in several other states including Florida and California.

License search:
http://www.license.state.tx.us/LicenseSearch/

Talent Agency Law:
http://www.license.state.tx.us/talent/talaw.htm#2105202

Talent Agency General Info:
http://www.license.state.tx.us/talent/talent.htm

Talent Agency FAQ:
http://www.license.state.tx.us/talent/talfaq.htm

Aug 29 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

reflexpixel

San Antonio, Texas, US

The funny part on this whole thing is that I shot exactly what the agency has on their site for their models.  I also shoot for one of the outfits  they send their models to shoot for comercial work.  It is not even about that I shot it.  It is that they make thier models only use an in house photographer. 

in my experience if an agency forces the model to go to an in-house photographer, it is probably a scam. The agency is either getting kick backs or is making all of their money via photographs and NOT by getting jobs for their models. Most agencies in my experience  will provide the model with a list of reputable photographers they work with.

Aug 29 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

The term "in-house photographer" would be my big tip off. Major agencies definately send new models to recommended photographers to test, and yes, the bookers are very particular about the images that become part of the model's presentation, but.... "in-house", like full-time agency employee/photographer - sounds, well.... Sounds more like a sitcom...

John

Aug 29 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

i dont see images on your portfolio here that reflect you are ready to shoot model tests at anything approaching a professional basis.

agencies have lists of approved photographers because if they are going to spend their models' money they want to feel sure they can use what is shot.

what agency is this that you are claiming is a scam?

Aug 29 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph D Castleberry

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've shot portfolio work for nearly every major agency in Chicago now , and I have always been paid by the model . When FORD sends out a model to shoot shots for there new comp cards , the models pay for the shooting , and mua/stylist . The only thing I've seen an agency pay for is the comp card printing . If you are a test photographer for an agency , and not a primary photographer , that why your shooting for free - I would personally never agree to test models for a major agency , get paid  - that what its about with agencies . The models for these agencies are making money , and just like we have to purchase our tools for the job " camera's , lenses ect. " , models have to buy there tools as well . Not that I really care -  just thought I'd stick my 2 cents in !!!

smile

Aug 29 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

reflexpixel

San Antonio, Texas, US

oldguysrule wrote:
i dont see images on your portfolio here that reflect you are ready to shoot model tests at anything approaching a professional basis.

agencies have lists of approved photographers because if they are going to spend their models' money they want to feel sure they can use what is shot.

what agency is this that you are claiming is a scam?

Aug 29 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

reflexpixel

San Antonio, Texas, US

Ouch!  You are correct my friend.  I would not show those photos to any of my clients.   I shoot at least 3 to four shoots a day and do not have time to update this site as often as I should.    Most of the photos on this site rigth now are from a shoot I did for a client who's art director was on site and wanted that exact look & directed the models to this site to take a look. 

I do quite a bit of model portfolios or testing and have never had a problem & had not heard of the in house photographer in quite a while.  I will not say who the agency is because I have not veryfied the information.  The model told me this a few hours ago.

Aug 29 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

ahhh good to hear.
holler back via private message if you want the skinny on the agency in question

Aug 30 06 03:12 am Link