Forums > General Industry > Don't ya hate it when....

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

You get an idea for a series of photos and then totally at random find someone else already doing it?  Ugh.  I guess I shouldn't let it bother me, it's not like it was a terribly original idea and my own interpretation will be a little different anyway.

Aug 29 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

L D Photography

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

It's usually one of those ideas that you have been working on for a year.  Knowing that it is going to be one of the coolest original ideas.

Aug 29 06 06:53 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

1. I just freaked out and thought I was the OP and didn't remember posting this.

2. I am working on a series. And this is why it's a secret...for the most part.

-D

Aug 29 06 07:35 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Gary Davis wrote:
You get an idea for a series of photos and then totally at random find someone else already doing it?  Ugh.  I guess I shouldn't let it bother me, it's not like it was a terribly original idea and my own interpretation will be a little different anyway.

Yes!

Aug 30 06 04:40 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Not really.

Aug 30 06 04:50 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

there aren't any really new ideas, ya know. it's pretty much all been done.
unless you duplicated each others work extremely tightly, there's lots of room for hundreds of interpretations.

Aug 30 06 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

yours will be different, its all good.

Aug 30 06 06:45 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

u cant say your pictures are the same tho, coz u havent even shot them yet!!

how do u know their photos came out the same as their original 'idea'?

and how do u know your pictures will come out the same as your original 'idea'?

if u want to use your creative ability in any way, atleast try to treat your ideas as the things they are.....guidelines......figments or your imagination.....dreams.........they are not the photos themselves!

i would say if u feel strongly about that idea, then shoot it, but be prepared to just use it (your idea) as a guideline, just incase something better comes along on the day, something that u didnt 'imagine'. and if u are too busy chasing rainbows (your ideas) u may not even see the better opportunity when its trying to slap u in the face.

i cant remember the last time i preconcieved a picture, and i cant say i ever want to either. i think your self belief in being able to utilise the ingredients around you to their maximum, is far more importrant than the idea itself.

i say go shoot it......see what happens.  good luck

Aug 30 06 07:15 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

L. Daryl wrote:
It's usually one of those ideas that you have been working on for a year.  Knowing that it is going to be one of the coolest original ideas.

i would say uve just wasted a year making something that doesnt even exist as cool as possible. i would recomend taking a day to try and make the picture cooler than the idea. wink

Aug 30 06 07:26 am Link