Forums > General Industry > Stab in my creative heart!!

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Okay, maybe just a glancing blow - well, maybe a drive-by swat...

A few threads down I asked how many contacts to a non-responsive model constitued enough. I followed the advice of the majority and didn't contact her again.

Lo and behold, in my email today I FINALLY got a reply from. Keep in mind, I haven't attempted any contact with her in over 2 months. Her email:

"Ed, it is good to know there are photographers near me. We live so far out in the sticks I wondered if I'd ever find anyone out here! I consulted with mey manager about working with you and he says your work isn't up to the quality I need to further my career. I will be happy to shoot with you howver for $150 a hour with a 3 hour minimum. My manager will attend any shoot you hire me for. Thanks again for contacting me!"

I'm not giving this one another thought. What was the line in Saturday Night Live? oh yes, "Buh bye."

Aug 29 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Stonekey Photography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

"mey manager" must be pretty picky... lol

Aug 29 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Ray Savage

Encinitas, California, US

Ahhh....aren't sluggos a wonderful breed?

R

Aug 29 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Of course! If she a TFP shoot with you, how could the "manager" get his cut? Maybe one of these days she'll end up saying  to herself, "I could have been a model if I had just dumped Sluggo!"

Aug 29 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Oh man... That was almost funny. Do you suppose that a few others fell for it or were able to negotiate the minimum hours down? LOL

Aug 29 06 11:17 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hot damn...she must have some huge boobies if she's worth $150 an hour.

Aug 29 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Ed Selby wrote:

A few threads down I asked how many contacts to a non-responsive model constitued enough. I followed the advice of the majority and didn't contact her again.

Lo and behold, in my email today I FINALLY got a reply from. Keep in mind, I haven't attempted any contact with her in over 2 months. Her email:

"Ed, it is good to know there are photographers near me. We live so far out in the sticks I wondered if I'd ever find anyone out here! I consulted with mey manager about working with you and he says your work isn't up to the quality I need to further my career. I will be happy to shoot with you howver for $150 a hour with a 3 hour minimum. My manager will attend any shoot you hire me for. Thanks again for contacting me!"

I'm not giving this one another thought. What was the line in Saturday Night Live? oh yes, "Buh bye."

Ed,

If your work isn't "up to the quality" she needs.. I would sure like to see what she has already.. geez.. I wonder what she or her manager are expecting... who is she?? sounds like she not only needs a reality check, but needs to dump her boyfriend as well.

Aug 29 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

One Eye Blind

San Martin, California, US

when you live way out in the sticks you tend to lose touch with the reality of day to day life.

Aug 29 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

'uge tracts of land! wink

Why aren't you in the Atlanta area? I need a muse!!

Aug 29 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Well, she's either getting her asking price, in which case she should keep on asking for it, or she isn't, in which case she'll lower her prices or stop modeling.  It's all supply and demand. 

I recently contacted a spiffy model somewhere I was traveling and was told that she'd love to work with me for $250/hr (fully clothed) with a four hour minimum, hair and makeup provided by me.  I didn't have an extra $1,200 hanging around, so I politely declined. 

As my friend Jason likes to say...."You're hot, but you're not THAT hot."  wink

Aug 29 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Monday

Frederick, Maryland, US

ROFLOL Well I guess her manager will just have to take some more pics of her with his camera phone.  Bound to dredge up some work somewhere....

Aug 29 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

I know what "sluggo" means, but what is the genisis of that term?

Aug 29 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

I am a sluggo model manager named Lee
I keep my models under lock and key
No free tests, no lingerie or nudes
They're not allowed to talk to other dudes
And the only one who shoots my girls "implied" is me.

Aug 29 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Eric S. wrote:
I am a sluggo model manager named Lee
I keep my models under lock and key
No free tests, no lingerie or nudes
They're not allowed to talk to other dudes
And the only one who shoots my girls "implied" is me.

he wrote you too?

Aug 29 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Ed Selby wrote:

*wheeeeeeeEEEze*
Oh dear..

Aug 29 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Huge boobies are worth 0.00$ an hour

Aug 29 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Art Richards Creatives

Bogo, Central Visayas, Philippines

May be out on a limb here... but if you look at her "port" is there anything that looks like it was worth $150 per hour?  I had a "model" responding to a casting call feed me a similar line when her port was a bunch of camera pics of her sitting nude on the floor leaning against a shelf of CD's.  When I told her I wasn't interested she called me a pervert.

ROFL!!!

Aug 29 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Dang.  How rude.  Some people need to learn some business etiquette.  Don't take it too personally, though.  Just think about your next photograph.

Aug 29 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I bet it wasn't her you wrote to.  It was this manager person all along no
doub't.

Aug 29 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ed Selby wrote:

Poor, poor Ed...I'm sending you a hug. 

Wasn't that nice, don't you feel better?

Aug 29 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

lol... I just had a similar conversation with a local MM model.

Her portfolio just had some crappy boyfriend-with-digicam shots, including some terrible nudes. I offered TFCD (NN), she says she's not "serious" about modeling and just wants to get paid for shoots.

The sad thing is that modeling is time-sensitive. Instead of their prime years being spent  meeting people and having a rewarding, creative hobby that *could* create some pocket money at some point, they waste their youth holding out on a "career" that's about as likely as Vogue calling me this afternoon to move to Paris and start shooting editorials for them.

Aug 29 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Susi wrote:
Poor, poor Ed...I'm sending you a hug. 

Wasn't that nice, don't you feel better?

You know how to make a man feel better! Thanks, Susi!

Aug 29 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Ed Selby wrote:
You know how to make a man feel better! Thanks, Susi!

i know you cant out her, but lets see, ball ground, georga is 30107, how many miles from 30107 is she?

Aug 29 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

wait, you're from ball ground, that's your problem, the name of your city put the idea in her head..

Aug 29 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Your portfolio is better than most here, she and her boyfriend/manager are insane. I used to live in Georgia and there is no shortage of beautiful women who I'm sure will love being photographed by you. Don't be suprised when you get another e-mail from her letting you know that she dumped that dumbass and would love to shoot with you.

Aug 29 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ed Selby wrote:

Well maybe living out in the sticks , her manager is her cousin Ed and she has been getting soem bad advice

Aug 30 06 02:36 am Link