Forums > General Industry > Fashion shot or no?

Photographer

Gallery Row Studio

Lakewood, Ohio, US

There is a good thread on tearsheet definition: https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=72159

I had a similar question about fashion shots. Here and OMP models as well as photogs seem to list their work in any category they please:) What in my mind is a simple full body shot, is listed as fashion.
It is strange and unusual, but then again - it is not a portrait, so what is it?:)Casual?
Can someone clear up these 2 things:
1. what is considered a fashion photograph
2. what category would be a photograph where the model is posing in a studio, dressed, but not fashionably, and you can see at least 70% of the body?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, I would really appreciate.

Olesja

Aug 28 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Commercial fashion shot: any photograph that makes you want the clothing, jewelry, perfume, or the "lifestyle" that the designer is putting out there.

Editorial fashion shot: any photograph that illustrates a concept, a style, or a feeling. Usually accompanied by a written article, or sometimes just a series of photographs.

Aug 28 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

thats a pretty fair surface definition. i would make sure, however, that style is included in the 'what is expressed'.

casual is, in my view, a subset of commercial fashion when its about style (casual fashion)... or portraiture when its not about the style.

eh... glad there are not categories here.

Aug 28 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Gallery Row Studio

Lakewood, Ohio, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Commercial fashion shot: any photograph that makes you want the clothing, jewelry, perfume, or the "lifestyle" that the designer is putting out there.

Editorial fashion shot: any photograph that illustrates a concept, a style, or a feeling. Usually accompanied by a written article, or sometimes just a series of photographs.

This is a very good description, thank you!

Aug 29 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Gallery Row Studio

Lakewood, Ohio, US

OK:) Now, I would like to know if anyone can tell me - can any of my images be considered fashion?

I would appreciate the input!

Sep 07 06 11:00 pm Link