Forums > General Industry > The definition of "tearsheet"

Model

MM Jen

BRONX, New York, US

Everyone knows that if you get something published in a catalog or magazine, that's a tearsheet.  But is it only catalogs and magazines? What if you were a piece of CD album art? What if it's a flyer for a club? Or a poster? Are those tearsheets?

Part two of this question: if you're making an ad for something and use one of your own photos, does it count as a tearsheet then? If you yourself are responsible for the publication, are you still able to claim tearsheet?

I've seen some people lately on other sites using their own business/comp cards as tearsheets and it's starting to irk me. Sort of like how you can go to an engraver's store and buy an award statue and engrave whatever you want on it to give yourself a prize, it doesn't feel to me like it'd be a valid credit if you do it yourself. 

Where's the ruling?

Aug 28 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Mark Fortenberry

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

A single page of a publication containing a specific ad or article in print.

www.nahc.org/NAHC/VendorSvcs/Advertising/terms.html

A copy of a published page (magazine or newspaper) in which a model's picture appears. Tearsheets are generally included in a model's portfolio as evidence of work the model has done.

photographytips.com/page.cfm/2093

An actual copy of an advertisement.

retailindustry.about.com/library/terms/blterm_t.htm

Sample of an author's published work; the actual page containing the article, story, etc.

www.thescriptorium.net/glossary.html

Previously -printed material submitted as manuscript (or as art for research purposes); typically an ad or photo torn from a magazine or newspaper.

phbusiness.prenhall.com/authorguide/glossary.html

previously printed book page, usually edited, being used for manuscript.

www.gtscompanies.com/printp_z.html

Aug 28 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mark Fortenberry wrote:
A single page of a publication containing a specific ad or article in print.

www.nahc.org/NAHC/VendorSvcs/Advertising/terms.html

A copy of a published page (magazine or newspaper) in which a model's picture appears. Tearsheets are generally included in a model's portfolio as evidence of work the model has done.

photographytips.com/page.cfm/2093

An actual copy of an advertisement.

retailindustry.about.com/library/terms/blterm_t.htm

Sample of an author's published work; the actual page containing the article, story, etc.

www.thescriptorium.net/glossary.html

Previously -printed material submitted as manuscript (or as art for research purposes); typically an ad or photo torn from a magazine or newspaper.

phbusiness.prenhall.com/authorguide/glossary.html

previously printed book page, usually edited, being used for manuscript.

www.gtscompanies.com/printp_z.html

100% correct!!
This should be included with any good model reference book also...

Rich

Aug 28 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MM Jen wrote:
Where's the ruling?

This is the Internet.  There is no ruling.

The references suggested above are very good if you want to conform to what serious industry professionals will think of as a tear sheet.  However, as you already know, lots of people claim other things.

The right question on the 'net, it seems to me, is not "what is a tearsheet", but rather "what kind of publication will be perceived as prestigious" as a real tearsheet might be.  People can claim anything they want, and do - but most of the time those claims act against them.  People seeing that kind of self-published or meaningless published stuff listed as a credit immediately assign the model to the "clueless" category, and further decide that her sense of self-importance is out of calibration.

Aug 28 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I've always been curious about this as it applies to art models.  We're not in advertisements, but we're often in books.  Does that count, or is it another beastie entirely?

Aug 28 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

While there isn't any official definition, a prior poster's list included pages from books. I would certainly refer to having an image in a published book as getting a tear.

I have the same question as the OP, only I have an actual example...

I put an ad in a national magazine for my photography. The ad features, of course, a model. (Gashley Darcane MM#1535.) Obviously, it's a tear for *her.* But is it a tear for *me?* smile

It seems a little crass to put a tear of my own ad in my portfolio, so I don't think I will. But it is an interesting question.

M

Aug 28 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

One model I photographed for Nerve.Com was on their splash page for a week.  She printed that and has it in her book. 

If it's published (the more recognizable the venue, the better) it's a tear sheet.

Some tear sheets never get shown because of the subject or because of how the model was portrayed.  A model may show whatever she believes to be advantageous to her next job.

-Don

Aug 28 06 07:50 pm Link