Forums > General Industry > The heaviest object in the universe.............

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

...........is a telephone.
I know this has been done to death, buried, dug up and reburied but I think its something that is worth repeating so new models here think about it.
Right now I have no less than six mails in my MM inbox from models who wrote me eager for a shoot and wanted to schedule. To each I replied with my phone number and as I type this not one has called after well over a week.
My home phone and my office phone, I am the easiest guy in the world to get in touch with.
Its funny with how small and light phones have become yet still, they weigh far to much for a model to pick up.

Aug 27 06 08:12 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

StevesPhotography wrote:
The heaviest object in the universe.............

Your mom.

Aug 27 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I take offense to your post. I strongly disagree. My camera bag with:

One Mamiya Pro SD
140mm lens
90mm lens
65mm lens
50mm lens
250mm lens
2 220 backs
2 120 backs
1 prism finder
1 extension ring
2 Minolta flash meters
5 77m filters
2 Polaroid backs
plus screwdrivers, pliers, batteries, film, etc.

is the heaviest object in the universe.
Alexwh

Aug 27 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

How do you know they didn't break all their fingers.  Geez, give them a break.

Aug 27 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://www.anarchygolfballs.com/images/rosanne-barr.jpg

Aug 27 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Sclesky

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I really try not to work with models from the interenet for this reason alone. Thank goodness for agency models!

Wayne

Aug 27 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

Actually My Ex-Motherinlaw is the heaviest object in the universe.

She has the distinction of holding a dual title.

She is also the loudest object in the universe...

Aug 27 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Bullhead Photography wrote:
Actually My Ex-Motherinlaw is the heaviest object in the universe.

She has the distinction of holding a dual title.

She is also the loudest object in the universe...

Amen my Brother..........Amen

Aug 27 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

a light bulb

Aug 27 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

The heaviest thing in the universe is a thought.

Aug 27 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i thought this was going to be a "deez nuts" joke.

Aug 27 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

StevesPhotography wrote:
...........is a telephone.
I know this has been done to death, buried, dug up and reburied but I think its something that is worth repeating so new models here think about it.
Right now I have no less than six mails in my MM inbox from models who wrote me eager for a shoot and wanted to schedule. To each I replied with my phone number and as I type this not one has called after well over a week.
My home phone and my office phone, I am the easiest guy in the world to get in touch with.
Its funny with how small and light phones have become yet still, they weigh far to much for a model to pick up.

This thread is a perfect example of why the MM forums are almost useless.  Anyway, I agree with your situation.  I am also the easiest person to get a hold of of but people still contact me, but when I respond with my phone number, they disappear, BUT THEY CALLED ME!  At this point, I have to double book, and the one to show up first wins!

Aug 27 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

what's orange and sounds like a parrot

if women with big boobs work at hooters, where do women with one leg work

a carrot

ihop

Aug 27 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Darn, I thought this was about physics, black holes and neutron stars :_(

Aug 27 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Heaviest thing in the universe...?

Guilt.

Aug 27 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

And here I thought we were going to talk about qyuantum sigularities and such...:-(

Aug 27 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Me at 0.8C

Aug 27 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

A wedding ring???

Aug 27 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

SunSpotPhotography

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

I hate phones.  Much prefer e-mail for all my communication.

For instance, I do my writing on a computer, so rather than mailing something or taking it by hand, I use e-mail to submit it to school or to work.  Similarly, I do my scheduling and reminders on a computer, so leaving me a message on my phone is both impractical and inconvenient for me (don't get me wrong, if someone leaves a message on my phone, I don't get mad about it or anything, and I always return the call).  Although tons of people have mastered the art of combining methods of communication, I just don't see the problem with people communicating electronically.

Consider that if an assignment were phoned to me, I would have to call my voicemail, check my messages, listen to the message and write it down, type the message into my planner, and then set a date and time for it.  Regardless of how meaningless the extra time is to anyone else, I find it a bother, and would rather be contacted via the Internet because if someone sends me an assignment online, I can copy and paste the exact message into a planner application and set a date for it.  The whole process takes just a moment to perform, and is hassle-free.  No time wasted listening to someone speak when I can read significantly faster than they can talk.  No need for the caller to repeat the same thing half a dozen times, reiterate their phone number, etc etc.  Like I said, if someone calls me, no big deal, it's just that in the back of my mind I'm always thinking how much easier it would be if they'd just drop me an e-mail.

I'm sure my bias toward e-mail has a lot to do with the fact I've been using the Internet for a decade (not that I'm claiming there's anything special about that, just that a lot of older people--as little as 5 years older than I--were much later comers to the Internet) and have had amazing experiences in every aspect of my life that heavily involved the Internet.  I've forged friendships and business relationships, researched, written, and submitted writing for school and work on computers and the Internet, and have the Internet to thank for my ability to keep in touch with a vast number of friends and acquaintances from over the years.  Because of all these things, I very much have faith in the Internet as much as--if not moreso than--phones to keep me connected and to do it in a professional manner.

I think phones are very much a valuable communication tool and won't become obsolete any time in the near future, and I don't mean to sound as if I think any different.  I just don't want anyone to dismiss Internet communication as anything less than efficient, reliable, or professional.

- Hamilton

Aug 27 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Dal

Peoria, Arizona, US

...My boobs!!! haha!!!

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/idallas/engines.jpg

Tiffany

Aug 27 06 09:57 pm Link

Model

MM Jen

BRONX, New York, US

SunSpotPhotography wrote:
I hate phones.  Much prefer e-mail for all my communication.
.... I do my scheduling and reminders on a computer, so leaving me a message on my phone is both impractical and inconvenient for me (don't get me wrong, if someone leaves a message on my phone, I don't get mad about it or anything, and I always return the call)....

..No time wasted listening to someone speak when I can read significantly faster than they can talk.  No need for the caller to repeat the same thing half a dozen times, reiterate their phone number, etc etc.  Like I said, if someone calls me, no big deal, it's just that in the back of my mind I'm always thinking how much easier it would be if they'd just drop me an e-mail....

Oh Hamilton, we are cut from the same cloth.

I hate the phone. Hate it with a blinding passion. When online I can listen to music, eat, look up the spelling or usage of a word if I'm not sure about it, take notes, reply to one job and apply for another at the same time. If I'm on the phone, I can really only be on the phone. It interferes with multitasking and makes me feel as if my time is being wasted with stuff that could've been handled in email much more efficiently. Plus I have no record of what was negotiated or discussed where if the conversation is in email or on a messaging system, I have the log or the email right in front of me for later if I need clarification on anything.

I understand when a photographer wants to talk a little on the phone before a shoot, maybe a 5-10 minute chat to get a voice to the face and to solidify things, that's fine. But when it turns into a 30 minute long blabfest that goes on and on for eternity and still nothing is firmed up, I get annoyed. I hate it when someone calls me about a job two or three times a week for weeks on end. Book up or shut up. The only thing worse than having someone flake repeatedly in email is having them be wishy-washy and indecisive on the phone. Quality time completely wasted.

Aug 28 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Tiffany Dal wrote:
...My boobs!!! haha!!!

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/idallas/engines.jpg

Tiffany

As the late great Benny Hill would say "Not many of them to a pound I'll bet" or "Oh she was big, everybody has the right to be big but she abuses the privilege."

Aug 28 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nemi Bea wrote:

Your mom.

Damn that's fucked up!

Aug 28 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

SunSpotPhotography

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

MM Jen wrote:

Oh Hamilton, we are cut from the same cloth.

I hate the phone. Hate it with a blinding passion. When online I can listen to music, eat, look up the spelling or usage of a word if I'm not sure about it, take notes, reply to one job and apply for another at the same time. If I'm on the phone, I can really only be on the phone. It interferes with multitasking and makes me feel as if my time is being wasted with stuff that could've been handled in email much more efficiently. Plus I have no record of what was negotiated or discussed where if the conversation is in email or on a messaging system, I have the log or the email right in front of me for later if I need clarification on anything.

I understand when a photographer wants to talk a little on the phone before a shoot, maybe a 5-10 minute chat to get a voice to the face and to solidify things, that's fine. But when it turns into a 30 minute long blabfest that goes on and on for eternity and still nothing is firmed up, I get annoyed. I hate it when someone calls me about a job two or three times a week for weeks on end. Book up or shut up. The only thing worse than having someone flake repeatedly in email is having them be wishy-washy and indecisive on the phone. Quality time completely wasted.

This is the most amazingly chilling forum post I've ever read.  I've said almost those exact words from your first paragraph so many times I couldn't count that high.  Until now, no one has ever shared my passion for acknowledging the inherent inefficiency of telephones.  All the stuff about doing ten things at once and all that... so totally me.  You rock.

- Hamilton

Aug 28 06 02:30 am Link