Forums > General Industry > rudeness or just photo-speak?

Model

Jessica - The Peach

Los Angeles, California, US

on another modeling site, i replied to a guy's listing for a model.  this is the response i got:

--
Thank you for your reply. But I have now filled the job.

Thank you again and if I have any future requirements I will provide you with first refusal.
--

first refusal?  is that photographer lingo that im totally missing, or did he just give me a big fat "i wouldnt use you if you were the last model on earth"?

Aug 27 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

He's saying he'll use you for his next project ...  and allow you to refuse before he goes to the next person.  It's a good thing.  I think.

Aug 27 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

*blinks*

Aug 27 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

uhhh, first refusal is a good thing, that means he is going to give YOU the the first shot at the job,which means you will be the first to accept or REFUSE the job.

Its a good thing

Aug 27 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

"First Refusal" or "First Rights of Refusal" is a contract-y term that means that you get first crack at a project. You'll be offered it, and given the first chance to turn it down, or accept it.

It sounds like he'll keep you in mind first for the next project. It's actually quite a generous offer he's made smile

Aug 27 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Short for "first right of refusal", you will get to turn it down before anybody else gets an offer. It is a good thing for you.

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

The photographer is being nice.  It's not really a photography expression, it's used in a lot of contexts.

It just means the photographer will offer the next gig to YOU first before making it available to anyone else.  Then if you want to refuse the gig, you may.  You would then be the first person to refuse that gig.  "First refusal."  The photographer would then move on to other candidates.

Model

Jessica - The Peach

thanks so much guys!  still kind of a newbie to the biz; sometimes i need my MM support group to show me the way. i honestly had no idea whether he meant id get the next job or he'd refuse me first. ill go send him a thank-you right now.  much love!

Aug 27 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

lightswitch

Sacramento, California, US

that one would have tripped me up too... but i probably wouldn't have asked what it meant. i just would have thought he was an asshole. oh well. that'll teach me to go around assuming things.

Aug 27 06 01:38 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Right of first refusal is a pretty common phrase in a lot of businesses. It's a nice thing to have.

Aug 27 06 01:53 am Link

Model

Jessica - The Peach

Bohan Photography wrote:
that one would have tripped me up too... but i probably wouldn't have asked what it meant. i just would have thought he was an asshole. oh well. that'll teach me to go around assuming things.

haha, trust me, i was justthisclose to messaging him back and being like "go to hell jerk", but i decided to try my luck at the MM forums. i figured no one would be THAT rude to a model.

Aug 27 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

... which is why, if you're not sure, ask. In general, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Aug 27 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

He might have ment "refferal"?

Not sure if i even spelled it right LOL!

Aug 27 06 08:09 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

Bohan Photography wrote:

Ditto!  Great question and glad to know this myself now!
smile Caroline
-225 lbs @ goal

Aug 27 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jessica - The Peach wrote:
on another modeling site, i replied to a guy's listing for a model.  this is the response i got:

--
Thank you for your reply. But I have now filled the job.

Thank you again and if I have any future requirements I will provide you with first refusal.
--

first refusal?  is that photographer lingo that im totally missing, or did he just give me a big fat "i wouldnt use you if you were the last model on earth"?

I want to tell you...THANK YOU!...for all photographers out there. You showed real class by asking which it was, rather than reacting to the phrase without knowing. I wish more people working in this industry showed that kind of care and respect in their correspondence. You would be amazed at some of the things I have had thrown in my face over a misunderstanding of legal or industry terms.

Aug 27 06 07:22 pm Link