Forums > General Industry > New York Accomodation

Model

Emma Rice

London, England, United Kingdom

Hello!

I'm thinking of planning a trip to New York to see some agencies and do some tests. Can anyone recommend any cheap accomodation - I can find some pretty reasonably priced flights but the accomodation seems a bit expensive or is in hostels where you have to share a bathroom and I've no love for that lol!

Thanks for your help!

Emma
x

Aug 25 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Emma Rice wrote:
Hello!

I'm thinking of planning a trip to New York to see some agencies and do some tests. Can anyone recommend any cheap accomodation - I can find some pretty reasonably priced flights but the accomodation seems a bit expensive or is in hostels where you have to share a bathroom and I've no love for that lol!

Thanks for your help!

Emma
x

Your best bet is hotels.com or travelocity. Trust me, there's no "secret" reasonably priced area. Don't come here on any of the holidays, that's the most expensive time

-D

Aug 25 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

Maybe this should be under MM Market.

Do you not know anyone in town? I think your best bet is to stay on a friend's sofa the first few days and check out craigslist while you're here. I wouldn't make accomodations over the internet, sight-unseen. There are plenty of short-term places available. But this only makes sense if you'll be here for a while. How long do you think you'll be and when? I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

I'd definitely shoot with you while you're here. Get in touch if my style suits you.

Aug 25 06 01:22 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Strange places and interesting hotels in NYC
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=25553

Best Hotels
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=36799

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?t … 876&page=2

Chili wrote:
i hearing that the 5 star rated boutique hotel Chili Palmer has a special discounted rate for that night, which includes breakfast in bed and free valet parking

(sometimes i just kill myself) LOL

ok may i reccommend

http://www.gershwinhotel.com
http://www.carltonarms.com
http://www.bedfordhotel.com
http://www.innon23rd.com
http://hotelpenn.com
http://www.travelforecaster.com
http://www.riversidetowerhotel.com/index.html

La Semana Hotel, 25 W 24th St New York, NY 10010 (they have a short stay rate) im not implying, im just saying, cuz if you get there at like 2:00am, ya know ya might wanna ask about it?

almost anything in manhattan will run $300 and up/night

there is a holiday in express, and a quality inn next to my studio in LIC Queens that goes for around $129/night.

(hahaha yes i know that theda was expecting me to recommend the four seasons hotel or ganesvoort hotel LOL)

chili

Sheri B wrote:
The boutique hotel Chili Palmer huh!  LOL!

Nothing cheaper than $129.  I may just venture back home.  But I will check around first.  If i ever make it up there at all.  I have a job in Philly that day.  Not sure when it will end.

MHana wrote:
I made a list at one time of many of the hotel options.  (Tyler please fix the seach)

The pioneer hotel on Broome and Bowery is under $100 and it is clean,  relatively.   The hostel on Bowery is truly just a closet and gross.

My opinion.   Will try to find the link or telephone and the thread or list at sometime.

Ho jo's on houston is around $100 and I can walk by later to check.   it is very new and should be very clean.   Good area and easy to get to the bar from Ho Jo's.

Okay here is the list of some.

You can find the Pioneer hotel/ sohotel at www.sohotel-ny.com . I am too lazy too make a link. they have rooms at $79.00. Very basic.

also upper west side --more money is hotel Belleclaire

Also try www.nyc.com that will link you some but not all hotels in the city--the above hotel is not listed on this nyc site

also try the Calton Arms ---more hip but a bit overpriced--maybe if you do a photoshoot there it would pay off

If you don't mind roughing it up then try Carter Hotel around Times Square. I think it's around $70/night as well.

Also St. Marks Hotel,

Can be very noisy even by NY standards. And I got a not so clean feeling but that was years ago in between apartments. Might be great now. St. Marks is not as noisy but still very noisy.

The ones I have listed, I have stayed at, or a friend has stayed at.

Oh yes, with these cheap places having a window facing the street may not be the best thing. You may want to ask about your options for a more quiet room.

if you do not mind jumping on the path or njtransit... you can probably stay in NJ at a hotel close to the train for a song compared to manhattan. path is $1.50. depends on what your priorities are and how budgeted you are.
just a thought

MHana wrote:
Another hotel is the Winsdor Hotel www.windsorhotelinc.com.
212-226-3009  Grand and Broome st.

Prices vary depending on supply and demand at many of these hotels so you will have to call to check it out.

KitaPanda wrote:
www.newyork.citysearch.com/roundup/40396

Aug 25 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

you can always find a group that is holding a conference in New York and call their hotel for the conference rate. Shave off 15-25%.

Aug 25 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

GEORGE_UK

Hotel 17 (or 31)

Thats where Ill be staying 7th-12th

Youd still have the bathroom problem though

g uk

Aug 25 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

photoartproject

Brooklyn, New York, US

YMCA in Greenpoint 5 minutes walk to super trendy neighborhood Williamsburg
10-15 minutes train ride to Manhattan
You can get a nice decent room for under 100
also the YMCA at Columbus Circle but that one is usually book during the summer

Greenpoint YMCA
99 Meserole Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Phone: (718) 389-3700
Fax: (718) 349-2146

E-mail: [email protected]

For Room Reservation information, please Click here

Serving guests from around the world since 1906, the Greenpoint YMCA Residence and Guest Rooms offer 100 extraordinary, inexpensive rooms. Located on the riverfront of Brooklyn, the Greenpoint Y has a spectacular view of New York City, with close proximity to many tourist attractions. Whether your visit brings you for a weekend or a few weeks, you'll enjoy our friendly and courteous service, deluxe rooms with 19" TV, radio with alarm clock and mailbox access. Families love our indoor swimming pool with male and female saunas, daily housekeeping service, and state-of-the-art Fitness Center. The Greenpoint Y is accessible by local buses, and the G and L subway lines.

Accommodations and Prices
      # of Guests     Daily Rate Weekday     Daily Rate
Weekend     Weekly Rate     Monthly
Economy Room     1     $40     $43     $252     $868
Deluxe Room     1     $58     $60     $315     $1120
Deluxe Room     2     $70     $72     $370     $1300
Deluxe Room     3     $82     $84     $420     $1400
Deluxe Room     4     $90     $94     $455     $1500

Aug 25 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Emma Rice

Thanks for those everyone!

Had a look and some look quite promising. Open to any more suggestions......

Aug 26 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

James Perrin

Scarsdale, New York, US

It can vary widely, depending on the time of year, events going on, and how far ahead you are trying to book. And I don't know what you'd consider reasonable. Have you tried the Carlton Arms? (www.carltonarms.com). Also, most agencies tend to be in the midtown area, not too far from the Grand Central train station, so you could actually find much less expensive accommodations in the suburbs near the train line.

If you have particular dates and rates in mind, I'd be happy to look up and suggest some more specific instances.

Aug 26 06 07:55 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Define "reasonably priced."

Aug 26 06 07:57 am Link

Hair Stylist

BIYOSHIPATRICK

New York, New York, US

couchsurfing.com
hospitatlityclub.com
globalfreeloaders.com

Aug 26 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Anyone here in NY that will open their home to you? Come on people(ladies) cough up your couch. Help a lady in her time of need.
Were in CT, about an hour drive or 40 min by train. My wife says ok but its up to you. Others that are closer should step up.

Aug 26 06 08:12 am Link

Model

Emma Rice

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Anyone here in NY that will open their home to you? Come on people(ladies) cough up your couch. Help a lady in her time of need.
Were in CT, about an hour drive or 40 min by train. My wife says ok but its up to you. Others that are closer should step up.

Awww thanks for the offer! I've looked at the Carlton Arms and think it looks pretty interesting so will probably go for there.

Thanks for everyones suggestions!

Aug 26 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Emma Rice wrote:
Hello!

Thanks for your help!

Emma
x

Well, you could try the W hotel on Lexington.... only $325 per night plus all the taxes.  The room will be slightly bigger than your closet at home but will also have a private bathroom.

Seriously, there are very few "inexpensive" accomodations in Manhattan.  My advice would be to look on Long Island (and take the train) or NJ (and take mass transit) to Manhattan.  Regardless, be prepared to spend some serious money.  If the YMCA costs as much as the poster above indicates, and, if you want a private bathroom, you are gonna need to spend some cash.....

Conversely, if you are a AAA member, you can save some money (15% or so), if you have frequent flyer miles, you might be able to convert them to hotel points.... 

Also, be prepared for NYC.... food, transport, etc.... NOTHING is cheap.

Aug 26 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Check motels on the NJ side of the river, in Jersey City or Hoboken. You would be minutes away from Manhatten by rail and prices can be considerably lower. If you will have a car, some are just minutes from the tunnel.

Aug 26 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Why would anybody want to go there?  There ain't nuttin to take pictures of.

Aug 26 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Its always cheaper if you know someone who lives there.

Aug 27 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Personality Imaging wrote:
Why would anybody want to go there?  There ain't nuttin to take pictures of.

I hope you are kidding!!

Aug 27 06 08:34 am Link