Forums > General Industry > any tips for a potentially dangerous shoot?

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Ok... so tomorrow I'm trying for some pretty intense shots.  Not a standard shoot, by any means, but more of a photojournalist shoot.

Tommorrow we are having a very controversial rally at our state capitol.  There is going to be a group of Nazis protesting illegal immigration, and a counter demonstration of immigrants protesting the nazis.  And police.  Lots and lots of police. 

Of course, as a photographer I want to get some great shots of the rally, but I've never shot anything that has this much potential for violence (although the police prescence should take care of that)

Has anyone out there ever shot anything like this, or even demonstrations?  What is your advice to get those great shots, while trying to keep myself safe?  Or should I jus go for the shot regardless?  Thanks for any input!

Aug 25 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Have a permit to shoot !!!

Have several cameras and photogs and be prepared to scoot
if any police or neo natzi trys to steal your camera or beat your meat.

EL

Aug 25 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Wow... wish I could get there on such short notice. Sounds like alot of potential. I know this won't be alot of help but as for safty, you will have to judge it as you go. If something breaks out, it could be dangerous... but your not going to get the shots you're looking for from 2 blocks away with a 1200mm lens either. Good luck and let us see some photos if you get what your looking for.

Aug 25 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Keep alert, and don't focus all your attention on the shot. Eyes in the back of your head, trust your instincts. Travel light so you can move fast.

Aug 25 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Scott Einuis

New York, New York, US

Don't wear a white hood!

Aug 25 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Yeah, this has potential to be an exciting event to witness...  This group of Nazis apparantly has held similar demonstrations around the country.... Including one in Toledo, OH that didn't end so well.  So far, everyone has denounced violence tomorrow, but we shall see. smile

El:  I did check with the PD, and was told that as a public event on public ground, I wouldn't need a permit.  Again, that's the official word... maybe individual officers will have a different idea... Yikes.  But IMO, we do have pretty good cops here, in regards to hassling photographers.  I've even been able to get willing shots of riot police on horseback, during our halloween party. lol

Winn:  Thanks for the well wishing!  I'll definitely share if I get anything noteworthy... maybe even if not. wink

Schumacher:  That's what I was thinking... Just plain ole' common sense.  It hasn't let me down yet... And has gotton me out of sticky situations in more dangerous places... like a politically tense post war el salvador, and a brief meeting with two goons from the RUssian mob, in Moscow...  Tomorrow should be no problem, but these things always make me a little nervous. 

For anyone interested:  here is a little local media coverage: 

http://www.channel3000.com/news/9714200/detail.html

Aug 25 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I worked as a photojournalist for a number of years and did cover events very similar to the one you mentioned.

My best advice is go light, be prepared to move really fast and if you're in imminent danger screw the equipment and get the hell out.

Even though I carred proper ID in plain view and was an accredited journalist it didn't carry much weight when things got ugly. Too much testosterone getting flung by both sides, police included. When the clubs started swinging no one was safe.

And one point to remember. Both sides may hate each other but when things get hot they all hate YOU!

Aug 25 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

stay smart,  find the story in the story,   dont stay focused on just the speakers, shoot the reactions,  keep looking 360 degrees for the shot, move a lot,   find the entry and exit point that the kkk will be taking, when they have to pass through any crowd and come in close contact with police / protesters.  there space proximity narrowed you can fill a frame pretty easy with some intense emotions.  Also look for high vantage points. shooting in crowds you need to get above them for a clean shot.

things not to do.

do not wear a burka to hide your gear, it will draw to much attention.

do not yell "he's got a gun" just to shoot peoples reactions. this could get you arrested.

do not worry about getting a model release from mel, if he is there, he is in public and its a news event.

Good Luck

P

Aug 25 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

i've found that the dark LCD screen on digital cameras makes a nice little "what's behind me?" mirror just so you can monitor your surroundings. big_smile

Aug 25 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

One Eye Blind

San Martin, California, US

remember that police presence does NOT mean that there will not be violence.
Quite the opposite I think...

Aug 25 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

FKV and Parkus:

Thanks both for the great tips... It sounds like you both have some good experiences to share.  I'll take these to heart, and hopefully tomorrow evening I'll be able to post some great shots, not end up with a cracked skull, or be out hundreds of dollars with broken lenses. smile

One last question... I know that using my wide angle can result in some dramatic scenes... but that means I have to get CLOSE!  I'm more inclined to use a 28-105, as opposed to an 11-18.. but what are some other opinions?  I can take both, since one extra lens is very portable... but I'm not crazy about the idea of switching lenses if things get frenzied...

Although, this could turn out to be entirely peaceful, and no problem to switch it up.  Any thoughts on that?

Aug 25 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

synthetic:  That's a great idea!

Greybeard... I know, this has the potential to be a dicey situation... but aside from our drunken debaucherous halloween parties, I don't think we've ever had a violent potest since the 70s... although, that did result in a bombing... YIKES! 

A few years ago, we did have a KKK rally, and counter rally that was entirely peaceful... But this is a whole new situation... so, we shall see.

Aug 25 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

mad city fine arts wrote:
Has anyone out there ever shot anything like this, or even demonstrations?  What is your advice to get those great shots, while trying to keep myself safe?  Or should I jus go for the shot regardless?  Thanks for any input!

Encourage the police to arrest the illegal aliens.  And while the police are busy with that, set those Nazi knuckleheads on fire!

Enjoy! smile

Aug 25 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just one tip, if things turn bad a monopod with a steel ball head works grat on kneecaps.

Aug 25 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Robert Winn Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Doug Lester wrote:
Just one tip, if things turn bad a monopod with a steel ball head works grat on kneecaps.

Damn right... and to think that only one of the three potentially dangerous groups at this rally could actually arrest you. Sounds like good odds to me.

Aug 25 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

ive filmed protest rallys and it gets tense at times with police getting anxious and protestors just protesting , sometimes you don't know if the cops will start to move in to disperse the protest which could mean you could get arrested as well even if you have a media badge , the cops sometimes wont care . now with hate rallys , i'd avoid the situation altogether if you must but if your a brave person who can handle almost near riot expectations youll be ok . just run when shit hits the fan.  riots or near riots are fucking scary to get caught in.

Aug 25 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

you should not need a permit if this is happening on public gathering grounds.

i think if you can bring two bodies with diff lenese on them , that would be great, but be able to swap out lenses it good too.

it will probably not be all that fast paced, unless a riot does break out. just be aware of your surroundings.  you may get better images by studying the crowd and trying to anticipate what will transpire, then putting yourself in the crowd and hoping for something, but blocking your overall view of the scene. keep mobile and look at it all

Jim

Aug 25 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

"Wisconsin Nazis............ I hate Wisconsin Nazis.........."

https://tk.files.storage.msn.com/x1pM0jCSUoiRhAmZxAzOQ2sOOBJvapiJUWIlVs28qrxnQWRbo3EwZ9Xjk_yxeJHr_otlLNYHgPn80nfkuVJQDkyLN8trdr9F7XHnHa4-Cg9slY
https://bb.wynnear.com/pics/Illinois_Nazis2_medium.jpg

Aug 25 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

FKV and Parkus:

Thanks both for the great tips... It sounds like you both have some good experiences to share.  I'll take these to heart, and hopefully tomorrow evening I'll be able to post some great shots, not end up with a cracked skull, or be out hundreds of dollars with broken lenses. smile

One last question... I know that using my wide angle can result in some dramatic scenes... but that means I have to get CLOSE!  I'm more inclined to use a 28-105, as opposed to an 11-18.. but what are some other opinions?  I can take both, since one extra lens is very portable... but I'm not crazy about the idea of switching lenses if things get frenzied...

Although, this could turn out to be entirely peaceful, and no problem to switch it up.  Any thoughts on that?

Personally I always used a long lens in situations like this. Some people just don't like having a lens "in their face" and will react badly. Once one person goes off on you it tends to attract others whose tempers are just as short. And you would be in the middle!

And long lenses make pretty good clubs too. I've done it but ended up destroying both lens and camera. However the reciepent didn't get the rest of my gear or me.

Aug 25 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
I worked as a photojournalist for a number of years and did cover events very similar to the one you mentioned.

My best advice is go light, be prepared to move really fast and if you're in imminent danger screw the equipment and get the hell out.

Even though I carred proper ID in plain view and was an accredited journalist it didn't carry much weight when things got ugly. Too much testosterone getting flung by both sides, police included. When the clubs started swinging no one was safe.

And one point to remember. Both sides may hate each other but when things get hot they all hate YOU!

And if you don't KNOW wtf you are doing on the street best to use the 1200mm. You said it just before before I did F. LOL

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Personally I always used a long lens in situations like this.

Seriously, there is something to be said for being in the thick of it but you MIGHT consider, if it is a localised demo... basically a face off, getting a high vantage point [rooftop / parking garage vs being in the street]. Try and do some scouting before hand and see what you can get. If you are on the street you will immediately observe that most of the hacks will be at street level competing with you.

High up would be safer for you and a completely different POV in the images than one normally gets. You can always move down to street level once you get the feel for the level of potential violence [especially to you]... or if the thing spreads out too much and you want to follow one part of it in more detail.

Hint, as FKV said travel light but I suggest you pack a personal mini-first aid kit, too, extra batteries, extra data cards, some [a pint at least] of bottled water [in case of tear gas,] AND good sense... don't leave home without it.

Studio36

Aug 25 06 10:39 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Ok... so tomorrow I'm trying for some pretty intense shots.  Not a standard shoot, by any means, but more of a photojournalist shoot.

Tommorrow we are having a very controversial rally at our state capitol.  There is going to be a group of Nazis protesting illegal immigration, and a counter demonstration of immigrants protesting the nazis.  And police.  Lots and lots of police. 

Of course, as a photographer I want to get some great shots of the rally, but I've never shot anything that has this much potential for violence (although the police prescence should take care of that)

I shoot ast events like this all the time.  Yes, police brutality sure is a problem!  I've got a lot of it on film.  No one is going to hurt you if you're just standing there taking photos.  The only thing you need to worry about is damaging your camera and my only advice for that is.. Be careful.

Aug 25 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

14-18 mm get in close and get the shot. Shoot from the hip if you have to. Set it on infinity and just walk and shoot.. Dont be a wuss,the shots will suck if your not in close. Play up to the Nazis and get it from their side. Act like your on their side even if your not.
Working in the Harley world has taught me alot about shooting nazi wanna be's and would be's. Even though I am half balck "they" like it when they feel your with them. Keep your face neutral and dont make prolonged eye contact. Do not stand around having long talks with the police. Dont wear your heart on your sleeve,your a non combatant.
Have fun

Aug 25 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Eric S. wrote:
"Wisconsin Nazis............ I hate Wisconsin Nazis.........."

https://tk.files.storage.msn.com/x1pM0jCSUoiRhAmZxAzOQ2sOOBJvapiJUWIlVs28qrxnQWRbo3EwZ9Xjk_yxeJHr_otlLNYHgPn80nfkuVJQDkyLN8trdr9F7XHnHa4-Cg9slY
https://bb.wynnear.com/pics/Illinois_Nazis2_medium.jpg

Damn that's funny......now I need to go watch that movie

Aug 25 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

thanks for the outstanding response everyone!  I'll keep this thread updated when I get something to post!

Aug 25 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Shoreline Studio

Sandusky, Ohio, US

I suffered through a few years as a news shooter. If you don't have have press tags to hang on your gear and self, and if the cops don't know you - I would suggest staying fairly far back from the action, use a longer lens. Do not look like a yocal/amateur, do not act like one. Carry a couple cameras, a big bag, look very much like you are a pro. Having a gas mask with you is not a bad idea. At least have a couple handkerchiefs handy. Look around a lot - do not let yourself get all your attention caught up in the action of the moment. Partly for your safety - partly because sometimes the side action at events of this nature can suddenly become very interesting.

Unless you are willing to risk being hurt, loosing equipment, and being arrested, do not get between law enforcement and the protestors, and do not get between the protestors and their path of escape from law enforcement. Don't become involved in violence or agressive action - if challenged, fall back to the public area where the police will protect you as a citizen, instead of see you as a threat. Things happen fast - you can move back into the action area in seconds, as soon as you are not seen as a challenge/danger.

I'm only a few miles from Toledo. I didn't go to the protest there, since I don't shoot news anymore. But I have read a lot about it and seen a lot in the local news - it was a mess. The Nazi's are very pr aware, and know how to work this professionally, so they get attention. They seem to be willing to accept some danger and damage in return for the attention they get.

Good luck - just be safe. It's a big deal - but nothing worth a busted head or camera, I expect.

Aug 25 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Shoreline Studio wrote:
I suffered through a few years as a news shooter.

Suffered? Geez... pain is God's way of telling you that you are still alive. LOL

Studio36

Aug 25 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Use a rigid lens hood, and a UV or PL filter to help protect your lens from flying debris and pepper spray. Also, be invisble!

Aug 25 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

is it tomorrow yet?? r u still alive? got pics to show us?

Aug 25 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

Thomas B wrote:

Damn that's funny......now I need to go watch that movie

That was based on a real event in Skokie Ill, which is a highly Jewish community.  There is nothing funny about dealing with Neo-Nazi's or KKK members.  I have ran into them in the past and all they try to do is practice "thier rights" and incite the people around them to engage them so they can claim thier freedoms have been violated.  They use almost any means possible.

Anyone who covers these type of events, be careful and as everyone is saying keep an eye on the crowd, police,  and the best escape route.

Aug 25 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

travel light, carry the minimum, maybe having a big photo bag is a good idea -to look pro, but dont pack it

bring an older camera, your back-up from 2 years ago, so if it gets smashed you still have your new baby intact, film isnt too bad, in fact better, if the camera gets thrown to the ground and ruined at least the pics in the can will still be good

make a real official looking press badge, wear it, the number of people that will come up and press it aren't as big as you think

i like what someone said about having the screen be a rear view mirror, i'm going to get some of those bycicle mirror thingys you put on glass' frames to wear around... never miss a shot again

get a can of wasp spray, the kind that shoots 10 feet, use it like mace, it's not illegal to carry

Aug 25 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

bobby billonhy

Hamilton, Alabama, US

I was given an assignment at school to shoot 2 rolls of 36 exp. 35mm, 72 shots of people in a busy urban area, without them knowing I was taking their picture. With a 50 mm lens or less. Think about all the ways you can steady your camera and shoot, without looking like your shooting. Or if lighting conditions permit, (fast enough shutter etc.) you could shoot from waist level while walking through crowds. Just a thought, my assignment wasnt really to go somewhere really dangerous and try it.

Aug 25 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Rent a 600mm lens with a 2X TC and stand far away!!!

Aug 25 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

frequency13 wrote:
I was given an assignment at school to shoot 2 rolls of 36 exp. 35mm, 72 shots of people in a busy urban area, without them knowing I was taking their picture. With a 50 mm lens or less. Think about all the ways you can steady your camera and shoot, without looking like your shooting. Or if lighting conditions permit, (fast enough shutter etc.) you could shoot from waist level while walking through crowds. Just a thought, my assignment wasnt really to go somewhere really dangerous and try it.

ISO 400 / 800, w/ 28>35mm lens, pre-focus in mid distance and shoot from the hip

Studio36

Aug 25 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

gavin oneill wrote:
is it tomorrow yet?? r u still alive? got pics to show us?

Not yet gavin... another 16 hours

Aug 25 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

old mg account

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

while I can see the attraction of the kind of shots you get with a wide angle lens in a crowd up close, you'll find that a 300m/F2.8 does get you in close enough from a safe distance to get a lot of crowd reaction while keeping safe.

And a good strong steel Manfroto monopod does a long way to keep an unsavoury attacker at bay. wink

Aug 26 06 05:07 am Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

well, I have just finished going through the 150-200 pics that I took today.  The rally ended up being peaceful, with a pretty good buffer between the protestors and the counter protestors.  There were 2 snow fences, 1-2 lines of riot police, 1 line of mounted police, about 40 feet of empty space, and a chain lik fence seperating... So I wasn't able to get very close to the nazis, for those shots, but I did come out with a few keepers.  I'll post those in my next post.

By the way, any other madiosn photographers make it out today?  I saw tons of photographers there, but was curious to know if anyone from MM was out.  Anyway, here come the pics!

Aug 26 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Here are a few from the nazi rally and counter rally in Madison, WI on Aug. 26, 2006.

As I explained before, the nazis themselves were hard to get close to, so I ended up getting a lot of cop pictures.  Enjoy!

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3514copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3396copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3394copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3390copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3385copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3377copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3334copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3311copy.jpg

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3294copy.jpg

Aug 26 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3294copy.jpg

"...... heros in a half shell, turtle power!"

carry on

Aug 26 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/ … 85copy.jpg

So does this qualify as "Free Speech!?!?"

Aug 27 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

J n X Photography wrote:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/smooth_pappa/IMG_3385copy.jpg

So does this qualify as "Free Speech!?!?"

Freer than some Presidential visits to American cities where the "free speech zones" were a mile away. At least here you can actually see, and presumably hear, the protesters... and counter-protesters.

Studio36

Aug 27 06 02:49 am Link