Forums > General Industry > I find Craigslist and Myspace better for casting.

Model

E Patrick Williams

Los Angeles, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Where do you find casting calls on myspace?

in the Classifieds.

Aug 25 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Nevermind.  I found them.
There are like five ads looking for models in the SF Bay area.

Aug 25 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

IHPhotography

Houston, Texas, US

This is sooo true... Its very sad... MM models usually think they are worth a lot more than they actually are. CL models are doing it for the work... Or just to make their book lok better. Also, Myspace & CL models SHOW UP! Had some trouble with models canceling last minute or just not showing at all...

IH

Aug 25 06 04:54 pm Link

Model

Mary Domingo

E Patrick Williams wrote:
How do you guys use myspace? I don't trust anyone who posts a casting call on there.

same here... tongue

Aug 25 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Daniela V wrote:

I know a certain photographer that contacted me twice on OMP and I responded the next day...and I'm STILL waiting for a response- any idea who that is Mark??? hm????

Call me por favor ;-)
xo
-D

Oops! Sorry....Will do right away.

M

Aug 25 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Nevermind.  I found them.
There are like five ads looking for models in the SF Bay area.

*peeks over Wynds shoulder*

Hey try tribe as well......

Aug 25 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

ChristinaS wrote:
You will not believe how many girls on the myspace message boards have paid for modeling classes and such. They are very naive, therefore yes it is more competative...The models on myspace are willing to pose, pay AND give a blowjob...on sites that are model specific, a lot of the girls tend to know better

Wow, so photographers are rock stars over there.... damn, and I've been missing out. I made a profile just so I could see model's additional photos, but never even put up an icon.

Sex AND money, O My.

I'm happy just when they show up.

Aug 25 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Labyrinth Photos

Winter Springs, Florida, US

I agree 100% I've had fantastic luck with MYSpace

Aug 25 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

hot topic wrote:
I didn't know you could find this kind of work through Myspace and Craiglist.

Interesting!

Where do you go in those sites to find it? I'm intrigued!

Yes, Craigsllist has been a winner for me. I too have had plenty of success on there. As for MM, all of models have done what needs to be except for one negative experience. Otherwise, I hadn't had any issues on here. I also can recommend a model if needed. Every model in my 'credits' have been very professional and a joy to work with. I never used the other sites.

Aug 25 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

ashara

Brewster, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
I agree.
I've been scouring MM for months trying to find just one good model to do some shots like the one this current avatar, and can't find a single candidate. I even pay.

edited:

I stand corrected too. Daniela and I are close to setting up a firm shoot date, and she would work for the sexy edgy B+W Herb Ritts-style beach shots I've been wanting to work on.
I just wish there were a couple more interested models in the NY area.

What exactly are you looking for (a certain type, look?) ?
I, for one would love to work with you. smile

Aug 25 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Lelah G

Inglewood, California, US

From a model's standpoint:

Many people use Model Mayhem as a more "sophisticated" way to expose the quality of their online portfolios.  Model Mayhem, to me at least, is a fancy show-off site for some, and simply for folks to get to know each other, and EVENTUALLY work together.

Craigslist and Myspace seem to attract those who are looking for immediate work.  They seek casting calls that may be more open to all (male and female, all races, various sizes).  When you post on these sites, the emails go directly to you; however on MM, you tend to forget where you posted, and there is no link to click on that goes directly to your post (if there is, correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally, I utilize all sites:  MM, Myspace, Craigs, FaceFinder, etc.  So far, I've been able to shoot with MM photographers, but Myspace and Craigslist seem to be easier, given that when you contact someone, you don't have to choose between posting in the forum, going to the the personal page and sending a note, or going through the posted website and locating an email address.  With Myspace & Craigs, you either get the direct email address, or telephone number.  Some even post an address.  It's just less channels of contact that make it easier.

I don't know, that's just my take.

Aug 25 06 11:21 pm Link

Model

Sylvia_W

Paia, Hawaii, US

Where do you look on Craigslist?  I was intrigued and checked it out but didn't know where to go. 

Thank you!

Aug 25 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Where do you find casting calls on myspace?

I 2nd that emotion.  I've actually sent messages to myspace members one by one askng if they wanted to do a photoshoot.  I've gotten good response but it is very tedius and time consuming.  I'd love to post a casting there but don't know how.

Now craigslist I've only gotten I think 1 or 2 at the most models from there in a two year period.  It's really not worked for me as there as so many postings by photographers there.  I got one really good model who I've used 3x.

Aug 26 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

MarkCarpenter

Rochester, New York, US

As someone who started on-line back in the dial-up BBS days (go 1200bps! So fast!), the idea of getting a MySpace page gives me the hives. But I guess that's where the young crowd hangs out these days, so I should consider it. I'm Methuselah in computer years.

*shudder*

Aug 26 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Bettina wrote:
I showed up at a shoot and the photog surprised me with a second model he picked up from Craig's List. I decided to go with it....we went to change wardrobe and I noticed that the female model had a little something extra that I don't have...a penis and the accessories to go with it. The photog pretended not to notice and shot the model anways. He was unhappy after "She" left...saying it was not cool that she was not truthful in her representation. I guess this could happen anywhere, but MM people seem to be more upfront about what your getting.

DOH!

Aug 26 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Sylvia_W wrote:
Where do you look on Craigslist?  I was intrigued and checked it out but didn't know where to go. 

Thank you!

Go to the front page, where the selections are, go to the bottom, and look under "gigs", creative and talent sections.
Also you can search in community for model, photographer, etc.

Aug 26 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rocke Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

IHPhotography wrote:
This is sooo true... Its very sad... MM models usually think they are worth a lot more than they actually are. CL models are doing it for the work... Or just to make their book lok better. Also, Myspace & CL models SHOW UP! Had some trouble with models canceling last minute or just not showing at all...

IH

Wow, I could not said this better...

Aug 26 06 03:34 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I've gotten my best work off of myspace.I recently did a casting for pinup models on myspace because I knew I'd get better models.Oh and they arent models,but they'll do way better because that seems to be the case time and time again.Every time you get a "pro model" in the studio to do a pinup shoot, they are awful and I have to sit there for hours coming into the frame to correct them;then they complain and act snotty.The result are really horrible photos because they have no life to them.They're too "pro" to make cheesy faces I guess ? I mean it is a Cheesecake photo shoot, you may as well bring your personality along.

Aug 26 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

Christine

good to know

Aug 26 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew Allen

New York, New York, US

AMartin wrote:
I have found that the best way to get models, is to go to photographer's pages and then follow the links to the models they have worked with, and contact them. It also seems to help when I copy the photographer's profile, word for word, so the model will feel familiar with me.

That's a super idea!  How does one put those links like you have them in your profile?  (wink, wink)

Aug 26 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

Yes,

I've used myspace to recruit models, or just even someone that has never even attempted to be a model...

The ones that never done the modeling thing before, are now real interested in it, after they did a shoot with me.

I was on OMP for like 3 yrs, and got more shoots out of myspace in a half a years time, compared to 3yrs of being on omp.

My time was up the other day, wanting me to renew or they will cancelle my link, so oh well...wasn't worth paying for it again, by only getting few shoots per year from them!

I'm a photographer that'll shoot anyone, from models on these sites, or just a girl that is walking out of a conveince store.

Model or Not, i can at least get some great headshots if they can't pose well.

I did sign up on MM almost a yr ago now, but been mostly using omp, til now.
Hopefully using MM I can get more shoots this year than I did with Omp for 3 yrs!

I look at it this way.....if you sign up on a model site, respond to your requests for a shoot....you can always say "NO", but at least respond...isn't that why you are on the site in the first place, to get photos???

Aug 27 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
I have found that using Craigslist and myspace has been better for castings then any of the modeling sites.

I would have to say that I get 5x to 10x more responses without any drama or negotiating. Also I also find that I get more trained actors/actresses as well as Models.

How about you?

M

yes...but keep in mind the geographical area we're in.

Aug 27 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Javier_Mejia

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
I have found that using Craigslist and myspace has been better for castings then any of the modeling sites.

I would have to say that I get 5x to 10x more responses without any drama or negotiating. Also I also find that I get more trained actors/actresses as well as Models.

How about you?

M

I get almost the same results.

Aug 27 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

Ella Bella

Seattle, Washington, US

um hi my name is megan.
i'm from seattle.

shoot me.

there's one from mm you can use!

Aug 27 06 05:57 pm Link