Forums > General Industry > would any of you do it

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Yes, I realize I have a nude girl as my main photo; still I was wondering...

If you are a heterosexual photographer, would you dare place a photo of a male implied nude as your main photo?

Aug 24 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Adi L

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

You're a photographer, you're alowed to get as crazy, as long as legal, as you can get, and nobody can critisize if it's right or wrong... only if it's good work or bad. ( my opinion)

Aug 24 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i would do full nude no problem i would have some in my port already but i find it difficult finding mails to photo clothed it has been my experience that females are more willing to be photoed to me there would be no difference

Photographer

oldguysrule

Sergio Antonio wrote:

If you are a heterosexual photographer, would you dare place a photo of a male implied nude as your main photo?

of course
is this a trick question?

Photographer

RED Photographic

Who gives a damn?

Aug 24 06 11:40 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

still, you use it as you MAIN photo?

Aug 24 06 11:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

RED Photographic wrote:
Who gives a damn?

Aug 24 06 11:41 pm Link

Model

Adi L

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

if your main pic has balls... implied meaning that you're a daring photographer big_smile great to work with!

Aug 24 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Not exactly a "dare", as you put it.  Whether a photographer is straight or gay, it would simply make more marketing sense to put a woman in the avi if the target market is mainstream commercial fashion, or glamour, or something that was dominated my women models or clients shooting women models primarily.  If the photograher shoots only men, or nude men, or shoots for a gay market, then yes, an implied nude male would make sense.

Aug 24 06 11:44 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Richard Dubois wrote:
Not exactly a "dare", as you put it.  Whether a photographer is straight or gay, it would simply make more marketing sense to put a woman in the avi if the target market is mainstream commercial fashion, or glamour, or something that was dominated my women models or clients shooting women models primarily.  If the photograher shoots only men, or nude men, or shoots for a gay market, then yes, an implied nude male would make sense.

Bingo!  So do we take photographs based on our own sexual preference?

Aug 24 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Sergio Antonio wrote:

Aug 24 06 11:46 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

RED Photographic wrote:

But I'm not a raving heterosexual, so I'm not qualified to answer your question.

I just think it's pretty stupid.

Even stupidity can have intellectual value

Aug 24 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

"Dare" is really the wrong word.  Not that I'm a flaming heterosexual or anything. 

-Don

Aug 24 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

tri delta photo

Arlington, Texas, US

If the photo was the highest quality I had, and I thought it would attract attention, I'd do it. Red's photo caught my eye. I love the placement of the hammer, I had to view a larger version of the photo to make sure I wasn't seeing what I thought I was.

And I'm so hetero I make apple pie look French.

Aug 24 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

you know, not all photographers are male.

Aug 24 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i have a rule about my photography any one that would like me to photo them i will nude clothed standing on their head if i like that photo (like many other photographers the photo i like to day i do not like tomorrow) i will use it as my main no problem

Aug 24 06 11:52 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Dave Wright Photo wrote:
you know, not all photographers are male.

Yep, I thought the question applied to female photogs too.

Aug 24 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sergio Antonio wrote:

If that was the actual question, you should have just started with it.  I'm certain that some shooters have a preference based on their sexual orientation.  Or not.  I have a good friend who's gay and takes some of the most beautiful (women) fashion shots I've ever seen.  I'm straight and I've been booked for the third time this summer to shoot fashion with male nudes.

Aug 24 06 11:54 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Richard Dubois wrote:

If that was the actual question, you should have just started with it.  I'm certain that some shooters have a preference based on their sexual orientation.  Or not.  I have a good friend who's gay and takes some of the most beautiful (women) fashion shots I've ever seen.  I'm straight and I've been booked for the third time this summer to shoot fashion with male nudes.

Well, my repects to you, and the likes of you.

Aug 24 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I have.  Who cares?

Aug 24 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i'd never photograph another guy, why do i want to see someone who is in better shape than me, and going to live longer too

my only consolation is that someday his stomach might be as flabby as mine

i guess i know i need to go to the gym

;-)

Aug 24 06 11:58 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

HEY! no need to get testy here.

Aug 24 06 11:59 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

lotusphoto wrote:
i'd never photograph another guy, why do i want to see someone who is in better shape than me, and going to live longer too

my only consolation is that someday his stomach might be as flabby as mine

i guess i know i need to go to the gym

I can understand.  As far as nudes is concerned, curves is what interest me.  Usually women are naturally curvy, and therefore male nude usually only interest me if they are very athletic.

Aug 25 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

Aug 25 06 12:09 am Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Bill Bates wrote:

Aug 25 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I think I was probably bringing a European attitude to this thread, so I was a bit harsh with the 'Who gives a damn?' line.

In the UK it's no big deal, but I do accept that there are different social pressures in the USA, and photographing naked men is a bigger step for you lot than it is for us on this side of the Atlantic.

I do have balls, but no more, or no bigger, than most Americans.

Aug 25 06 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Sergio Antonio wrote:
still, you use it as you MAIN photo?

so why is this troubling you so much??

we're all wondering....

Aug 25 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Sergio Antonio wrote:

Only if it was a good, simple, eye catching photo,
(same criteria I use for females or buildings in my Avitar)
Otherwise it's a waste.

You Avitar needs to catch peoples eye,
In some ways a dude photo might help to seperate you from the pack.
I think the only people it would turn away would be GWCs looking to see b(o)(o)ies and homophobes.... neither of which fall into your target market.

Aug 25 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

If the photo is good enough then hell yeah I would go for it. Its a pretty silly question though. Gay or straight, male or female, Id put up whatever is artistically pleasing.

Aug 25 06 08:32 am Link

Artist/Painter

Pintor Figurativo

South Bend, Indiana, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

so why is this troubling you so much??

we're all wondering....

I am not troubled by it, just curious.  At first I thought that it was pretty interesting that at least 90% of the profiles here use a female as the main photo, being female or male photographers, models or something else.  It was interesting when having a conversation with any male here when their indentifying photo is female.  Then I noticed that most photographers who do have male models in their pics do not use them as their main photo.  I also noticed that those photographers who shoot males almost exclusively were the generally the only ones who use them as their main pics.  I started wondering to what extent the photographers sexual orientation played a role in the selection of their avatar.

Not that any of this matters; I just thought it was interesting sociologically speaking.

I like versatility and diversity, and the emphasis on female pictures caught my eye.  That's all.

Aug 25 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sergio Antonio wrote:

Now that you mention it, I *am* missing a male nude in my port.

Aug 25 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Sergio Antonio wrote:

Nah.  I'll shoot anyone naked.  I currently have Envy as my avatar because that's my most recent photo.  The avatar before that was Mighty Mo, who is quite male.  I'm fickle, it changes regularly.

Aug 25 06 09:09 am Link