Forums > General Industry > What does it take to put a team together?

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Fisrt off, I already kow the answer to the question.I am posting this to simply get some other view points and ideas.

At 3pm today My MUA called and cancelled due to another gig she is working on today. Knowing that we were booked and confirmed this really annoys the hell out of me.

Here is the situation.

I maintain a studio at a pretty penny. I do all of the marketing and promotion.
I have been trying to get ONE consistant team of artist to work with.

My goal is to have a team that is able to market to corporate and commercial clients.

The problem is, consistancy and dedication to the mission.

Last second phone calls saying you cant make it dont fly with me.

Quite franlky I am suprised. When I was just coming up in the business world I had a few mentors who gave me the opportunity to OPEN doors.

Men and Women who said, show me what you can do..AND then we can talk about how to turn it into cash.

I do TFP for that very reason.

I want a team that is in it for the art as well as for the challenge. I dont want money grubbers. Come in, get o board and stick to your promisses and agreed upon schedule.

Do that and a good job, then you can jump onboard the bigger paid projects.

Hell, you can call me 24hrs in advance, but I find it irresponsible and unprofessional to do so 5hrs before the shoot.

If you really want a career in this business, your attitude and dedication to a project is key.

I am wondering how many commercial photgraphers out there puu there team together.

I know I could just pay, however my goal is to put the team together that has the desire and drive to be here when there is no immediate fidicuary gain. A team that will grow and be marketed as a team. this means I will go through quite a few people, ad it also means quite a few people will be passed up on paying gigs when they do come in.

Man, sometimes it's BAD to be the boss...Mostly good thoough..

Rant over...

420 time

Aug 24 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

Some ideas I've used:

Schedule two models for 1 TFP shoot. If one bags, use the other.
Have separate hair and makeup people. If one bags, do crazy hair with super simple makeup or just a beauty shot with hair pulled back.
If wardrobe stylist bags, shoot beauty shot with bare shoulders or whatever the model wore there.
Have several ideas lined up. If everything falls into place, you don't have to shoot all ideas.

Meet everyone before shooting to discuss ideas and to find out how flakey they are. I recently had a stylist whose "internet" was down for a week and couldn't get directions to my place. I mean a week? Even with NYC blackouts you can go to a friend's in a different neighborhood and use his/her computer. There's a map with subway lines highlighted on my site since my neighborhood is hard to navigate. She was so dense there was no giving her directions over the phone. This was just for my pre-shoot meetup. When I proposed postponing it, she called me a faggot (I'm not gay). Guess what? I won't be shooting with that homophobe.

Don't plan a shoot that will last more than 5 or 6 hours (that's including setup, breakdown and coffee break). That way you don't waste an entire day if things fall apart. And if shooting runs long, no big deal.

Aug 24 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Vance wrote:
Fisrt off, I already kow the answer to the question.I am posting this to simply get some other view points and ideas.

At 3pm today My MUA called and cancelled due to another gig she is working on today. Knowing that we were booked and confirmed this really annoys the hell out of me.

Here is the situation.

I maintain a studio at a pretty penny. I do all of the marketing and promotion.
I have been trying to get ONE consistant team of artist to work with.

My goal is to have a team that is able to market to corporate and commercial clients.

The problem is, consistancy and dedication to the mission.

Last second phone calls saying you cant make it dont fly with me.

Quite franlky I am suprised. When I was just coming up in the business world I had a few mentors who gave me the opportunity to OPEN doors.

Men and Women who said, show me what you can do..AND then we can talk about how to turn it into cash.

I do TFP for that very reason.

I want a team that is in it for the art as well as for the challenge. I dont want money grubbers. Come in, get o board and stick to your promisses and agreed upon schedule.

Do that and a good job, then you can jump onboard the bigger paid projects.

Hell, you can call me 24hrs in advance, but I find it irresponsible and unprofessional to do so 5hrs before the shoot.

If you really want a career in this business, your attitude and dedication to a project is key.

I am wondering how many commercial photgraphers out there puu there team together.

I know I could just pay, however my goal is to put the team together that has the desire and drive to be here when there is no immediate fidicuary gain. A team that will grow and be marketed as a team. this means I will go through quite a few people, ad it also means quite a few people will be passed up on paying gigs when they do come in.

Man, sometimes it's BAD to be the boss...Mostly good thoough..

Rant over...

420 time

I put my last team together in Phoenix AZ, a great group of talented people. Hair,makeup and clothing as well as set design and photoshop person. We did some really good work together and for several years.
I did the same in London UK. Great people who wanted to make it happen.
I am back in the NYC area now and just begginning the process. Try them out put them under pressure as well as giving them a free hand to create. I used this approach last weekend trying out three MUA's to see who would follow where I was going. Two did one did not. I allowed each o create what they wanted to show and I would record it, My idea was set and I spoke about it as we set up. As I said two came along and their style worked well for the area we were in, the third did some high glam stuff that just did not suit where we were shooting.
I know I have two possiables here now, They have to want to come along for the ride while putting something in the tank at the same time. For me a crew is the best bet,people who know me and whom i know in return. Family.

Aug 24 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Exactly what I am talking about..great post..

that's the vibe I am talking about..I likr the term ..FAMILY

Keep it rockin..

Aug 24 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I've had the same issues. Really in New York the biggest issue I've faced is skilled people with oppressive jobs during the week who are just too tired to be creative on the weekend when the do have time for a project.

Aug 24 06 10:15 pm Link