Forums > General Industry > When communication ends abruptly

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Most of us, whether model, photographer, or MUA, have had a steady line of communication abruptly come to an end. We tend to scratch our heads and wonder "What did I do?"

When this happens, do you make an attempt to figure out what happened, or do you move on?

I assume that a sudden end of communication means that the person decided not to work with me, and were afraid or unwilling to let me know why, and I move on.

Aug 24 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

One Eye Blind

San Martin, California, US

its the internet, what other reason would they need...

Aug 24 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

For whatever reason this happens to me all the time. And it's by "models" that have contacted me -- I rarely contact models online. I have no idea why people do this; why contact me in the first place if you don't want to work with me? I just move on; I don't give these people a seconf thought. If they flake in email they sure aren't going to show up to a photo session.

-P-

Aug 24 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

ttbrown photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't get it either...there are the worst communicators in the world right here...if they can't keep up with their emails and leads/suggestions, how can we rely on them for work?...this is a game for many so-called models and photographers...I can't stick my neck out for many, if any...

Aug 24 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

"When communication ends abruptly"

Usually this indicates that I've sqeeezed to hard...

Aug 24 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

it happens on both ends of the scale, either i , or the other person has been rude, thoughtless , or just stopped making any kind of  sense, just move on.

Aug 24 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

When Communication Ends Abruptly

If this happens... dont even give it a second thought... MOVE ON... I mean come on... there's a billion fish in the sea... and around 200,000 other models and photographers on this site, with FREE contact on all.  Why dwell on the rudeness and inconsideration of just one... wink

Aug 24 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

easy-to-do, effective suggestion to ditched ones:
Before you do any business check out their credits (just like a feed back on e-bay), hence REPUTATION.

PS: on the other hand, communication is the quality I use to separate homo sapiens and the rest of the creatures in my messy life.

Aug 24 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

per nielsen

Beiseker, Alberta, Canada

Recently happened to me in late July. I received an e-mail from a model that came from a town 15 minutes from where I live. She said she liked my work and wanted to set up a shoot. I e-mailed her back and thanked her for her compliments and asked when would she like to shoot. Then she replies that she does not live in that town anymore and is now 1 hour and 10 minutes away. I say fine I will travel and meet up with her. She then forwards a message that she did not realize that I was not a full time professional photographer. It says that in my bio on my main web site. That is the last I have heard from her. I did send her an email shortly thereafter asking if she was a full time professional model.....I have since moved on cause she isn't worth the time to fret over. Too bad 'cause she was very attractive. Oh well......next.

Cheers,

Per Nielsen

Aug 24 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

rp_photo wrote:
When this happens, do you make an attempt to figure out what happened, or do you move on?

It could mean any of a number of things...you wierded her out, her plans changed, change in BFs, mighta gotten busy, might never have gotten the message (like when the MM bug says that the receiver sent your message...I'm not sure if it sends a notificiation message to her regular email account), etc.

I usually send her a polite followup message enquiring if they're still interested. After that, the ball's in their court.

Aug 24 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

The other thing I don't get:

A model replies or initiates a message that respond to immediately. It goes unread for two days!

Aug 24 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Just like Jehovahs witnesses, lights on no one home? It just happened to me, I got all bent out of shape made an error and then after some careful advice from others here I stopped thinking that this is like the real world. "Act as if"

Aug 24 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

All of these posts make me feel better.  It's happened to me several times recently and in the middle-of-the-cornfields (central Illinois) I don't have a huge abundance to choose from. I've wondered if it was something I said in the emails but I don't think so and since you never hear from the model there's no way to know.  I like the advice, "Move on."  Still leaves me wondering though.

Aug 25 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

It happened to me recently as well.
A popular lingerie model contacted me recently offerimg to work with me.
She was very enthusiastic about working together.
Suddenly she stopped communicating and will not return my emails.
I suspect she was told not to work with me by another local photographer whom I had words with.

No big deal to me (even though it's a little puzzling).
I don't loose any sleep over it, I just move on.

Aug 25 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

If you think that the dialogue was especially promising, I like the idea of a brief and polite followup to confirm that the previous message was received. Otherwise photographers have to accept that many of the models on this site do this as hobby (or less) and are easily distracted. In that case, it's best to let it go and move on. No point in solving the mystery unless you see a pattern developing. For example, if every time you mention "t&a" or you send a copy of your release, discussions break off, you might look at those correspondence from a different perspective.

Aug 25 06 10:39 am Link