Forums > General Industry > Do Photographers Have an Expiry Date?

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Where their ideas for images become too old and stale to be of continuing relevance and interest?

Aug 24 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I'd say when a photographer stops developing his/her art and stagnates in the same routine.

E.G.: If you still photograph how it was usos in the late 70's (which could be hip again soon) or early 80's with hairlights and stuff... you lost your "edge" and most are not interested in this outdated style.

Got to grow with the world and industry and detect trends or set them.

Aug 24 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Stenhouse

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

There was an interesting article in Wired about there being two kinds of creative thinking.

Explosive....
Comes early in life. Artist exhibits raw talent and creativity which seems to dwindle as they get older.

Experimental...
Comes later in life. Artist is a bit of a tinker by trade and gets better as they age.

It seems for the most part people were either one or the other... of course there are always those who defy pidgeon holing...

Aug 24 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

I'm young and stale...My ideas aren't necessarily new, but they are new to me and to the models I work with...

Aug 24 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i think i expired 2 years ago....

Aug 24 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

When words like edgy or high-end are replaced with words like standard or classic.

Or when the term TFP means Trade For Polygrip big_smile

Aug 24 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Garry k wrote:
Where their ideas for images become too old and stale to be of continuing relevance and interest?

The ability to adapt to the changing market would prevent your ideas from going stale. I don't believe in photographers having an "expiration date"...
I've seen models come and go quicker than most photog's on this site... 

Rich

Aug 24 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

I think that's a risk, but far from a certainty.  It does take conscious effort to avoid falling into a rut, and there are plenty of middle aged guys who are in very deep ruts.  But then I've also met 20-year olds who have never had a creative idea in their lives.

When I was very young, I knew of a commercial photographer who had come up in the 50s.  Technically, he was very good, but his style hadn't changed at all, some of todays retro photographers would love to know how he did it.  But for the general population portraiture that he specialized in, it just didn't work for anybody much younger than him.  He often complained about how bad business was, and two years later he was gone.

On the other hand, a number of well-known photographers kept changing, and did some of their strongest work toward the end of their lives.  Edward Weston's 1940s Guggenheim grant work had depth well beyond many of his earlier and better known images.

With youth comes high creative energy, sometimes undisciplined, which if harnessed can produce amazing things.  With age and experience can come wisdom and nuance, sometimes held back by excessive caution or close-mindedness; young or old, some individuals will do great things, while others will be caught in traps of their own making.

Aug 24 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

my expiration date past long ago

...doesn't seem to stop the clients from calling though. whether that's a tribute to the relationship or a condemnation of clients' willingness to evolve their communications is for others to decide.

Aug 24 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

The brain is something that needs to workout just as much as the rest of the body...imagination is my workout...every waking moment, every dream, every gesture...it never ends.

Aug 24 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

just like milk and fruit yes .

Aug 24 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Zir Tuan

Dallas, Texas, US

I expire in 7009.

Aug 24 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Infinite shelf life.  Good work is as good in two decades or a century as it is now.  Dated work is the sign of shallow values.

-Don

Aug 24 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

MarkCarpenter

Rochester, New York, US

I keep mine in the freezer.

Aug 24 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

lightswitch

Sacramento, California, US

UdoR wrote:
I'd say when a photographer stops developing his/her art

i stopped developing mine when i went digital, but i still have good ideas now and again.

Aug 24 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

C R Photography wrote:
... when the term TFP means Trade For Polygrip big_smile

how did i miss this before?... seaux trieu!

Aug 24 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

by Tuan wrote:
I expire in 7009.

Are you radioactive ?

Aug 24 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

UdoR wrote:
I'd say when a photographer stops developing his/her art and stagnates in the same routine.

E.G.: If you still photograph how it was usos in the late 70's (which could be hip again soon) or early 80's with hairlights and stuff... you lost your "edge" and most are not interested in this outdated style.

Got to grow with the world and industry and detect trends or set them.

I was looking at Irving Penns "Fight Club " Photos IN the Sept Vogue and thinking they are good , but hardly the revolutionairy stuff he created in the 60s ...........
The style imediatly recognizable as his but not that edgy .....

Aug 24 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

From an artist's standpoint, like DBN said, great photo art is timeless.  But from a commercial perspective, you have to evolve to some degree if you want to shoot commercially for a living.  In the decade I've been doing so, I have continually changed, almost imperceptively, and I'm a much different shooter now than I was five years ago.  But there are some things - call it my signature style, my art, whatever - that stay the same.  Maybe it's the two hemisphere's of my brain at work.

Aug 24 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Richard Dubois wrote:
From an artist's standpoint, like DBN said, great photo art is timeless.  But from a commercial perspective, you have to evolve to some degree if you want to shoot commercially for a living.  In the decade I've been doing so, I have continually changed, almost imperceptively, and I'm a much different shooter now than I was five years ago.  But there are some things - call it my signature style, my art, whatever - that stay the same.  Maybe it's the two hemisphere's of my brain at work.

LOVE your work Mr Dubois .....

Aug 24 06 09:07 pm Link