Forums > General Industry > Never Any Casting Calls Open to Plus Size Models!

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

At least not in New York, anyway. I KNOW there are photogs who are looking for us...do you think it wouldn't be worth it to put such a specific/unique notice in the casting call? I think it would be...come on!

thoughts?

Aug 24 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Naomiwynn wrote:
thoughts?

I think if you want something that isn't going to come to you; then you should [work] for it.

Aug 24 06 09:55 am Link

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yuriy wrote:
I think if you want something that isn't going to come to you; then you should [work] for it.

Oh, I definitely do, in other ways. It's just frustrating to spend time going through the casting calls and never finding anything. It makes me think I shouldn't waste my time doing it, but I can't help it...I always wonder.

Aug 24 06 10:03 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Are you active on plusmodels.com?  There are several working NYC plus models there who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Aug 24 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

The casting calls here are basically worthless, it's just nationwide forum noise with the same models replying to anything within 200 miles and the same photographers posting "calls" for anyone wanting to shoot sometime in the next year.

And unfortunately, the Other Model Place has a better casting call system, but you have to be a photographer who pays out the wazoo for membership to use it.

I've found that the best way to connect with people on MM is to use the search feature and message them privately.

If they don't have any plus work in their port, give them a *reason* to want to work with you by providing a creative idea or two that you think works well with your style and would enhance their portfolio.

And now with the search-by-weight, you can search for other plus-sized models in your area and see which photographers are linked from *their* portfolio, thus qualifying the leads you want to contact.

Aug 24 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shyly wrote:
Are you active on plusmodels.com?  There are several working NYC plus models there who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Plusmodels.com has suspended registration so that they can "work on the format" or something. I keep checking back with them and they STILL won't let me join! sad

In other news, Shyly - you are amazing. I checked out your work and your website - you're such an inspiration, I can barely stand it. smile

Aug 24 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

Naomiwynn

Chicago, Illinois, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
The casting calls here are basically worthless, it's just nationwide forum noise with the same models replying to anything within 200 miles and the same photographers posting "calls" for anyone wanting to shoot sometime in the next year.

And unfortunately, the Other Model Place has a better casting call system, but you have to be a photographer who pays out the wazoo for membership to use it.

I've found that the best way to connect with people on MM is to use the search feature and message them privately.

If they don't have any plus work in their port, give them a *reason* to want to work with you by providing a creative idea or two that you think works well with your style and would enhance their portfolio.

And now with the search-by-weight, you can search for other plus-sized models in your area and see which photographers are linked from *their* portfolio, thus qualifying the leads you want to contact.

Thanks for the advice, Richard. I do all that other stuff in addition to checking the castings, but maybe I just won't anymore. it's nice to hear from someone else that the castings seem to be a waste of time.

Aug 24 06 03:03 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Richard Tallent wrote:

Oh man...I think their casting calls such even worse over there.

Most models I talk to have no luck here or there with casting calls, whether they're 5'11 125 pounds or 5'0 125 pounds.

Aug 24 06 03:08 pm Link

Model

Tonya in Seattle

Seattle, Washington, US

You've got to have more luck there than out here in Seattle.  Right?  Right??? 
*slinks off all bummed out*

Aug 25 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Well I check Craigslist, OMP, Muse, Here, and even *gasp* MySpace for local artists postings.  Not much helps though.

Plus I don't really feel I'm a "Plus Model" by industry standards.  I'm not tall, nor am I proportioned.  I prefer Full Figured.  So that's what I'm going with. . .that's what I advertise.  Where do I advertise you ask?  MySpace, Craigslist, and there's a local artist publication here.  Even those don't get too many "legit" responses.

So. . .in the interim, I'm polishing up my port and plan to start sending comps to agencies in the Midwest.  Maybe even the coast.  Will be putting money into my "travel" fund so that I can actually get to some places if need be.

Aug 25 06 02:03 pm Link

Model

Jenia

Washington, Arkansas, US

Hi there. Try exploretalent.com You have to be a member but you can do a trial for a few weeks I think. I've seen a number of plus model castings. I'm not affiliated with them so please don't flame me for the referral smile I use it and the castings are 90% legit.

Aug 25 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

1Body

Los Angeles, California, US

Jenia wrote:
Hi there. Try exploretalent.com You have to be a member but you can do a trial for a few weeks I think. I've seen a number of plus model castings. I'm not affiliated with them so please don't flame me for the referral smile I use it and the castings are 90% legit.

Even exploretalent.com is limited. Worked with them before.  I don't know, but sometimes I think "They" only want to see non-plus size,  non-A-A male, or non-anything else that isn't busty and/or blond. (Brunettes are fine, as long as they could appear on an episode of "Friends")

Sorry for the tangent. Hate it when people mess with plus-size models. As a guy, I am sometimes considered plus-size b/c I'm 6'5". 

I mean...who wants an undersized and underweight idiot with a bad attitude accompanied by an overexxagerated ego and a low IQ? Oops..."They" do.

Don't worry. After Bush sends us back in to the Dark Ages, you will see "Models" falling left and right. You know they can't last long with no meat on their bones. LOL  Eat something...Damn!!!

Aug 25 06 03:28 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

www.plusmodels.com does not have new port signups, that is true, but it has a VERY active and lively forum of plus models, (both working and aspiring) photographers, stylists, etc. that post there on a daily basis. Go to www.plusmodels.com/forum if you have not before. There are often castings posted there, and also many women who know what is going on and when. Models from NYC, L.A. and everywhere in between.

Aug 26 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

MatthewD Photo

Brooklyn, New York, US

Naomi,

You can also sign on to www.curvychick.com - it has a plus modeling forum that is updated daily to include castings that cover fashion, commercial, fit, etc. Check it out if you're not already a member.

Matthew

Oct 23 06 07:42 pm Link

Model

Holly Dell

Have you tried getting signed with an agent?  Like Ford Plus?  Check around and see which agency would be best for you and if you'd fit into their talent pool and still offer a new fresh face.  I think your avatar is so cute by the way.

smile Holly

Oct 23 06 07:59 pm Link