Forums > General Industry > Those experienced in shooting Dancers

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If anyone knows a good source of casting dancers... all types of dancers... I'd really love to hear it.  I've put out a casting call here, and a few on craigslist and the like, but really am getting no response.  I don't know what dance schools to talk to in Philly, some of them seem pretty shady like they're just there to make money, not actually teach dance, so anyone have any good ideas?  Or does anyone know a dancer in the philly area?

Aug 23 06 07:42 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

James Jackson wrote:
If anyone knows a good source of casting dancers... all types of dancers... I'd really love to hear it.  I've put out a casting call here, and a few on craigslist and the like, but really am getting no response.  I don't know what dance schools to talk to in Philly, some of them seem pretty shady like they're just there to make money, not actually teach dance, so anyone have any good ideas?  Or does anyone know a dancer in the philly area?

If you're willing to go to the DC area, I know the Washington Ballet is awesome..

Aug 23 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Gingerwings wrote:

If you're willing to go to the DC area, I know the Washington Ballet is awesome..

I'm thinking that would be a bit of a stretch.  I would check in to it if someone who knew someone told me they could get me an interview with a few dancers, but I really need to be in my studio for the shoot.

Aug 23 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

tell them you are a gay choreographer

Aug 23 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Find some performances of dance troupes.  Then contact the troupe's director.

Aug 23 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

Delilah's Den on spring garden.

oh wait...you mean something different dont you?

Aug 23 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

James Jackson wrote:

I'm thinking that would be a bit of a stretch.  I would check in to it if someone who knew someone told me they could get me an interview with a few dancers, but I really need to be in my studio for the shoot.

Washington Ballet, look up Christopher Doyle. He was artistic director at Fresno Ballet and Severance School of Dance in Fresno California. I used to work with him and his wife Francios, also a talented artiste. All my ballet shots on my port are from shoots with Christopher. He will remember working with Michael from Fresno. The last I knew he was with Washington Ballet. I also used to shoot for the community college dance troupe, any college that has dance should yield models and possibly opportunity to shoot publicity. They have no money but I used to shoot for releases. Ask the instructor if you can post a notice.

Aug 23 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Austin Photography

Seminole, Florida, US

Might be too simple but, you can always try www.dance.net
That's where every dancer I know goes to look for jobs, castings, etc
=O)
Dan

Aug 23 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

The Fringe Festival is in old city in a few weeks,
If you did some networking at some of the events or the late night Cabaret you may be able to find some dancers that are open to modeling.

http://www.pafringe.com

Aug 24 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

James Jackson wrote:

Check out a university that has a dance program.  My daughter took dance at Wayne State University in Detroit.  Contact the dance dept.  I am sure some of the dancers would love to get photos of themselves for thier portfolio.

Aug 24 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
If anyone knows a good source of casting dancers... all types of dancers... I'd really love to hear it.

Four ways worked for me while I was a student:
1) Go to the dance instructor at the nearest college that offers dance and explain what you want, why you want it and bring your book. Ask to shoot some practice or rehersals. Stay out of the way and use no flash.
2) Contact the local ballet company (small one). Most large cities have suburbs with companies and offer to shoot their Nutcracker production kid photos IF you can shoot practice or rehersals.
3) University California has an extension class that concentrates on shooting all types of performances: theater, dance and moderrn dance. You might find one nearby at a local college, and if there is none, after you get good enough, offer to teach one.
4) Make friends with a local dancer and shoot their company. This is really best because you can haul in your portable studio lights and really get some great pictures.

Aug 24 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Back when I photographed dancers (http://www.looknseephoto.com/california/dance.htm), I started by knowing a few dancers & went from there.  My suggestions:

>>>  Check out local (performing) dance troupes -- there are often groups that put on shows several times each year.

>>>  Instead of going to so-called dance schools, look to the local universities & colleges for dance courses or even degrees in dance -- then approach the teachers.

>>>  Networking in the dance community is key -- once you have initial success, things will get easier.

By the way -- I met my dancers because I was volunteering as a photographer to the local community theater, and they were putting on a production of "A Chorus Line" -- got to know the dancers & choreographer there, and things just developed from that introduction.

Aug 24 06 09:54 am Link