Forums > General Industry > Cabbages and Kings...

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

So, in an effort to distract my mind from my most recent photographer-turned-ghost encounter, I present this to the forum:

I've been offered 4 or 5 paid shoots now ranging from 25/hr to 75/hr + travel to "name your price."  Its flattering, and since I have a new apartment and I am a poor college kid, the money is nice, but I can't help but notice that some (not all) have really surprising photos, surprisingly novice work (looks like a sony cybershot on vacation) 
I would like to stress that this is not all, but like 1 or 2, and its just surprising.  It leaves me wondering why they are asking to pay me to come work with them (which often if travel expenses are counted can amount to quite a bit).  Also keep in mind these are all completely clothed, casual, "Normal" shoots.  I dont think sketchy expectations is the answer, although others have suggested it.
I have worked with these photographers for the money and experience because it is my feeling that any experience I can get here is good even if the end product doesn't end up on my profile or in my book. 
So,
Would you pay a very new model to come work with you if you were a new photographer without offering tfp first?  Why?
Would you be offended if I didn't use the shots?

This isnt like causing me to lose sleep, but I am just curious as to the photographers and their opinions.

Aug 23 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Paying a good model will get a newbie photographer better images than using a new model who doesn't know what she's doing.

Aug 23 06 05:07 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Sigh, i thought this might be a pebble in the ocean.. oh well..

Aug 23 06 05:07 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

e-string wrote:
Paying a good model will get a newbie photographer better images than using a new model who doesn't know what she's doing.

But that's the thing.. not to shoot myself in the ass.. but like.. I know I am not that good.  I love modelling, and I love posing and working on a concept, I've done some work, but I dont see myself as an experienced model.

Aug 23 06 05:11 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Gingerwings wrote:

But that's the thing.. not to shoot myself in the ass.. but like.. I know I am not that good.  I love modelling, and I love posing and working on a concept, I've done some work, but I dont see myself as an experienced model.

You may not call yourself experienced, but if that's the case you're definitely a natural. I love your portfolio - poses and all. And it doesn't hurt that you have a very pretty face. Maybe they really think you're worth paying because the images enhance their portfolio one way or another.

Aug 23 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Money talks.

Aug 23 06 05:19 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

e-string wrote:

You may not call yourself experienced, but if that's the case you're definitely a natural. I love your portfolio - poses and all. And it doesn't hurt that you have a very pretty face. Maybe they really think you're worth paying because the images enhance their portfolio one way or another.

awe.. well thank you.  I guess its just like, I don't ask to be paid, so I just hope some awesome people will work with me.  Mad cred to my photographers right now.
Meehan - Agrees.

Aug 23 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

it is fair to say your portfolio is 'more experienced' than you are.
i'm not a big fan of models working tfp with photographers who stand to learn far more from the model than the model gain by working with the photographer. so... if you're not desperate, upscale the photographers until you get resistance, work there... repeat and rinse.

(same advice i give photographers, btw)

Aug 23 06 05:25 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

oldguysrule wrote:
Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

it is fair to say your portfolio is 'more experienced' than you are.
i'm not a big fan of models working tfp with photographers who stand to learn far more from the model than the model gain by working with the photographer. so... if you're not desperate, upscale the photographers until you get resistance, work there... repeat and rinse.

(same advice i give photographers, btw)

All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome rats outgrabe.
Thank you,

Love you, oldguysrule!

Aug 23 06 05:39 pm Link