Forums > General Industry > How 'bout a nice cup of Constructive Criticism?

Model

Ana da Silva

New York, New York, US

Hello everyone!

I've been going through some threads and have found lots of harsh criticism, especially of the models here, that was uncalled for.  What triggered me to write this thread though is a photographer's comparison of one model to another.  We're not all the same and that's what makes each one of us, well, each one of us.

I've noticed that talent in the entertainment industry is by and large looking alike.  That's sad.  You might as well clone one of the supermodels or movie stars and do away with casting calls altogether.

Anyway, my point is that, since we're a community (or I think we sort of are) why can't we point out weak points AND ways of improving them as opposed to just bashing people?

If you have the urge to tell a model that this other model is better looking, then how 'bout a nice cup of shut the fuck up. 

Aug 04 05 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

There is a lot of anger in your post.

Aug 04 05 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Ana da Silva: 
If you have the urge to tell a model that this other model is better looking, then how 'bout a nice cup of shut the fuck up.   

If you haven't got anything nice to say, it's better to not say anything at all.

Telling people to "shut the F up" is not a very good cure for rudeness and aggression. What do you think?

mjr.

Aug 04 05 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Wow. Who peed on your cornflakes?

You're a very pretty girl. If someone compared you unfavorably to another model I would have hoped you could have risen above it.

Aug 04 05 06:55 pm Link

Model

Annie aka Fannieannie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ana,
I agree with you 100%!!! I have been to several shoots and the photographers have ripped me to shreads, saying that i need to look like another person, or that someone else is prettier than me. In my opinoin if the photographer wanted to shoot you to begin with, then he or she  should take you for who you are, not what they want or think you should be.
In this we are all artists, and there is not one artist in the world that is just like someone else, yes there may be similarities, but isnt that what makes us who we are, and what each of us are loved for? That being the case, it is sad to see how each day someone is ripped apart because of harsh petty bullshit.

Annie

Aug 04 05 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Ana da Silva: 
...cut...I've noticed that talent in the entertainment industry is by and large looking alike.  That's sad.  You might as well clone one of the supermodels or movie stars and do away with casting calls altogether.

Isn't it that Hollywood occasionally casts younger look-alikes for film? I thnk one of the most twisted things I've ever seen them do is cast a Hispanic version of Brad Pitt. Whatsisname? Del Toro? Good way to mess with peoples' minds.

Are they related, or not???

Btw, if you got MM mail from some critic about your looks. Ignore it and press on.

Aug 04 05 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,
I agree with you 100%!!! I have been to several shoots and the photographers have ripped me to shreads, saying that i need to look like another person, or that someone else is prettier than me. In my opinoin if the photographer wanted to shoot you to begin with, then he or she  should take you for who you are, not what they want or think you should be.
In this we are all artists, and there is not one artist in the world that is just like someone else, yes there may be similarities, but isnt that what makes us who we are, and what each of us are loved for? That being the case, it is sad to see how each day someone is ripped apart because of harsh petty bullshit.

Annie 

I never ripped you to shreds.

Aug 04 05 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,

Annie 

I was nice to ya, wasn't I? smile

Aug 04 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Posted by Fred Brown: 

Posted by Belair: 

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,

Annie 

Me either Annie, in fact, I was nice wasn't I? smile

Yeah, Freddie...although we'd be justified in ripping her to shreds for kickin' us to the curb and runnin' off to Vegas.

Aug 04 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,

Annie 

This makes a little more sense than the original post. If the photographer wanted someone else he should have gotten someone else.

I'm going to make a snide interjection here, but it's the truth and you need to accept it: On a set, whether modeling or acting, the actor or model is not referred to as an "artist." They are referred to as "talent."

Aug 04 05 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Belair: 

Posted by Fred Brown: 

Posted by Belair: 

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,

Annie 

Me either Annie, in fact, I was nice wasn't I? smile

Yeah, Freddie...although we'd be justified in ripping her to shreds for kickin' us to the curb and runnin' off to Vegas.

Yep and you know what happen in Vegas stays in Vegas. Hm.... maybe we shoot there instead - lol.

Model

Annie aka Fannieannie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Neither Pete or Fred did that to me. Fred knows the circumstance i am refering to. And he was the one that was gracious, and very considerate and thoughtful during the experience. My only regret is not getting to shoot with you more.
Petey, You are an exception as well, I dont know any other photographer in the world that would drive 12 hours in one day just to shoot me. For that I am always thankful, even the "blue bikini" ;-)

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Neither Pete or Fred did that to me. Fred knows the circumstance i am refering to. And he was the one that was gracious, and very considerate and thoughtful during the experience. My only regret is not getting to shoot with you more.
Petey, You are an exception as well, I dont know any other photographer in the world that would drive 12 hours in one day just to shoot me. For that I am always thankful, even the "blue bikini" ;-)

Awww that you sweetie but what's the blue bikini? Pete, you wearing bikinis to shoots again? wink

Aug 04 05 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 

I'm glad I could be of service.

Aug 04 05 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Posted by Fred Brown: 

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 

Awww that you sweetie but what's the blue bikini? Pete, you wearing bikinis to shoots again? wink

Yes...but cuz of all my stretchmarks, I'll be wearing tankinis now.

Aug 04 05 07:07 pm Link

Model

Annie aka Fannieannie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Now now boys... Vegas isnt that far away. we moved here so john could have a better job, and I would have a better chance in the modeling industry... Me being so far away, just means that when you decide to take a vacation you have a free place to stay . big_smile

The bikini Pete got me for my birthday last year, he and john were the only ones that remembered it.

Aug 04 05 07:08 pm Link

Model

top asian model

San Francisco, California, US

Some people are real harsh. It's kind of unnesscary.

Aug 04 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Now now boys... Vegas isnt that far away. we moved here so john could have a better job, and I would have a better chance in the modeling industry... Me being so far away, just means that when you decide to take a vacation you have a free place to stay . big_smile

The bikini Pete got me for my birthday last year, he and john were the only ones that remembered it. 

And John is the only one who saw it.

Aug 04 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Wow...we've hijacked the shit outta this thread, haven't we?

Aug 04 05 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Oops I let the cat out of Pete's bag - lol

I'll keep that invitation in mind Annie, I need a vacation.

Aug 04 05 07:10 pm Link

Model

Annie aka Fannieannie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

big_smile Not really, we are just voiceing our opinoins, and catching up on old times. big_smile Sure come one out fellas, i need some company, alot of the people here are so rude and harsh, it makes me want to pack my bags and run home

Aug 04 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Belair: 
Wow...we've hijacked the shit outta this thread, haven't we?

lol

Aug 04 05 07:12 pm Link

Model

Annie aka Fannieannie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have to go boys, kep in touch though XOXOXO Annie

Aug 04 05 07:13 pm Link

Model

Annie aka Fannieannie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yes you are right.  But what i mean is, we all create something. That is what separates us from everyone else.

Posted by Todd Steinwart: 

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,

Annie 

This makes a little more sense than the original post. If the photographer wanted someone else he should have gotten someone else.

I'm going to make a snide interjection here, but it's the truth and you need to accept it: On a set, whether modeling or acting, the actor or model is not referred to as an "artist." They are referred to as "talent."

Aug 04 05 07:17 pm Link

Model

Ana da Silva

New York, New York, US

You're a very pretty girl. If someone compared you unfavorably to another model I would have hoped you could have risen above it.

Sorry about all the anger.  Nobody compared me, they compared someone else on a forum.  I find it sort of unfair because the comment was in public and maybe the model won't even be back to the forum to see it. 

It seems that people are always yelling at each other, like those conversations where nobody's really listening but just hearing half the sentence and snapping.  Maybe it's getting to me. 

At any rate, negative criticism can be good when it's constructive ("you might not want to shoot in a bikini") so that you know what doesn't work for you.  Bashing ("your thighs are so fat you look like Thanksgiving turkey) is the bad sort of criticism, especially when unsolicited.

smile

Aug 04 05 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Posted by Ana da Silva: 

Sorry about all the anger.  Nobody compared me, they compared someone else on a forum.  I find it sort of unfair because the comment was in public and maybe the model won't even be back to the forum to see it. 

It seems that people are always yelling at each other, like those conversations where nobody's really listening but just hearing half the sentence and snapping.  Maybe it's getting to me. 

smile

Breathing exercises always help.

Aug 04 05 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I see a lot of models on the Web that I don't find attractive and that I wouldn't want to work with and I see a lot that I do find attractive and that I love to work with.

It always reminds me of the one time I was hanging out with a bunch of my male classmates in grad school. We were discussing which girls we found most attractive in the class (which had one gal who had listed posing for Playboy in her face book profile).

Anyway, I discovered that my classmates were smitten by girls I had never even noticed (including the Playboy model). I actually had to go look at the face book and see who they were talking about.

It just underscored the point that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Aug 04 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,

Annie 

That's pretty shameless.  I bet they do that their girlfriends/wives.  "yeah, my last girlfriend was prettier than you and she did things you won't do."

Aug 04 05 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by Ana da Silva: 
Hello everyone!

I've been going through some threads and have found lots of harsh criticism, especially of the models here, that was uncalled for.  What triggered me to write this thread though is a photographer's comparison of one model to another.  We're not all the same and that's what makes each one of us, well, each one of us.

I've noticed that talent in the entertainment industry is by and large looking alike.  That's sad.  You might as well clone one of the supermodels or movie stars and do away with casting calls altogether.

Anyway, my point is that, since we're a community (or I think we sort of are) why can't we point out weak points AND ways of improving them as opposed to just bashing people?

Can you post the threads in question so we can see the behaviour you speak of?

Aug 04 05 08:33 pm Link

Model

Annie aka Fannieannie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by DigitalCMH: 

Posted by Ann Elizabeth: 
Ana,

Annie 

That's pretty shameless.  I bet they do that their girlfriends/wives.  "yeah, my last girlfriend was prettier than you and she did things you won't do."

I have often wondered that myself. Its kinda like the whole theory would you treat your mom or sister that way.

Aug 05 05 12:37 am Link

Photographer

arsluxica

San Francisco, California, US

There's no excuse for a photographer to denegrate a model or make her/him feel uncomfortable. I frankly wonder how anyone who did that could get anything like reasonable results. I've always found that respect is a good foundation for any relationship, working or otherwise...

Aug 05 05 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

"shut the fuck up" ?
that sounds sooooo sweet of you .. :-)

Aug 13 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Ann Elizabeth wrote:
Ana,

Annie

Wow if they ripped you apart I would say you have worked with a lot of jerks.  Not everybody is like that.   I just cannot imagine why they would do that.  Makes no sense to me at all. Everybody is different and you all have your own beauty and look and style.  Just like photographers.  We all have our own style and a way of doing things.

I just cannot imagine why anybody would rip a model like this. 

I guess it is just something that I cannot understand. bs

Aug 13 05 07:42 pm Link