Forums > General Industry > Act of kindness or a hidden agenda?

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

I took all the info out of my posts. Although I was looking for peoples opinions, I should've just kept it to myself. I felt weird making this thread and that I should have kept it private (even though I never named anyone). Unprofessional on my part.

Aug 23 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Perhaps your perception of this person's experience is far greater than the amount of experience he/she actually has.

Aug 23 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Thomasio

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Experience isn't everything... looking at your photos, it is obvious that you have a good eye. Maybe the more "experienced" photographer could learn something from you.

On the otherhand, maybe (s)he is a homicidal psychopath.

Thomas

Aug 23 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Is it for a specific shoot that you required an assistant for? Is this a blind offer? Is the other photographer a male? It depends on many things I guess...
Do you know this person?

Aug 23 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I don't find it odd at all. I get offers for assistance all the time. Take advantage. For one, you don't have to pay them. And for another, it's a good networking opportunity.

Aug 23 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

That's happened to me a couple of times, and it baffles me, too.  Upon speaking to the people in more depth it became clear that there's some certain thing that I'm good at that they're interested in learning about.  You may find that's the case as well.  Don't be afraid to ask!

Aug 23 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Aug 23 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Sounds like a genuine act of kindness and wonderful networking opportunity with another photographer to collaborate on image perfection with whom you can both grow as photographers in this awesome industry..... Nevertheless, bring a gun wink

Aug 23 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Access is everything.. they may be looking at it as a networking opportunity to touch base with some of the models you use that they would have no other way of meeting..

Plus shouldnt ART be a sharing experience anyway..

Dont be so pessimistic..  there is more than enough of that negativity to go around.. the glass CAN be half FULL..

EDIT: after reading your last response, it does sound like he just wants access to who you have access to.. but dont let it taint you.. just say NO this time..

Aug 23 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Maybe he wants to learn to handle snakes.  If you can get free muscle, take advantage of it.

Aug 23 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Aug 23 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Of course he wants to use you. He wants to use you to maybe exchange ideas, maybe to exchange model recommendations, maybe to exchange location ideas. Nothing really out of the ordinary. You, in turn can use him as well. Make him carry all your heavy shit. I appreciate all of the people willing to help me on shoots. I understand they are probably using me for certain things. But that's ok. I'm using them as well. If his offer was to "assist you by holding lights" Then you have something to question. You'd be amazed how many people want to "hold my lights"

Aug 23 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Aug 23 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Surpringly, while I normally don't ask to be an assistant (unless it's responding to an ad for a PAID assistant), I actually PREFER assisting to shooting!  Really!

Most people consider an assistant to be some sort of flunky that's unqualified to be a photographer.  In reality, a GOOD assistant will know alot about photography and spot problems, hazards, and conditions that the shooter doesn't notice.  In some cases, I knew more about photography than the photographer did, but you can't act like you're telling the photographer what to do, you have to be discreet how the situation is handled.

I've saved a few shoots from totally going down the toilet when I've noticed something that the photographer was totally oblivious to.

Photographers that don't believe they need an assistant are probably the ones that need assistants the most! 

So, the guy wants to be your assistant.  I don't see a problemwith that.

Aug 23 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Networking, every one gets something. If you get ideas use them and they genuinely help you, use it.
Get on the phone and ask "Why ?"

If that offer was from me , it would be suspect,. I would be cooking a 5 peice Gumbo dinner for you.

Aug 23 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

Aug 23 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

I don't anything about the other photographer, but I'll bet part of the hidden agenda is you. you are a female model as well as a photographer, well you probably knew that.

Aug 23 06 04:13 pm Link