Forums > General Industry > Let's Talk Rates

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Photographers:
What are common rates in your area for models (not asking what YOU specifically charge. . .don't want to put anyone in the hot seat here)?  I'm talking:
4 hour shoot
3-5 different looks
no makeup artist
no wardrobe stylist
no hair stylist
best 2 images from each look printed at 8x12
high res CD of the "printed" images

Models:
What are common rates in your area for photographers (i.e. what do models in your area charge photographers)?  Again, not asking YOU specifically what your rates are.  Also, NOT talking nudes either b/c so many issues are tied to THAT question.
I'm talking:
Typical 4 hour shoot
MUA provided by YOU
Hair stylist provided by YOU
wardrobe provided by YOU
==============================================
Why ask?
I'm in the Midwest and am thinking of traveling, so I would think this would be valuable information.  Correction: I WILL be traveling next year to broaden my portfolio and get images into the right hands. . .doing a little self promotion/marketing if you will and planning to expand my books along the way.

Aug 23 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

My area a typical shoot like that would run about $450.00. Obviously that varies from photographer to photographer.  Some don't have a time limit, others charge simply by the "look."  So it could be a little less, little more. Hope that helps.

Aug 23 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
What are common rates in your area for models (not asking what YOU specifically charge. . .don't want to put anyone in the hot seat here)?  I'm talking:
4 hour shoot
3-5 different looks
no makeup artist
no wardrobe stylist
no hair stylist

- Show up
- Be interested
- Give me something I haven't seen yet
- Whatever it costs me to make the prints (no one ever asks for prints)
- Understanding that the pics may look good, but they're not going to get you a yob. (I don't shoot to spec.)
- Beer or diet soda (optional)

Aug 23 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

One Millllllion Dollars!
https://www.wawnews.com/pictures/drevil.jpg

Or yea, $450-600 depending on location and you print your own pix. Ain't got time for that shyte.

Aug 23 06 01:45 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
4 hour shoot
3-5 different looks
no makeup artist
no wardrobe stylist
no hair stylist

W.G. Rowland wrote:
- Show up
- Be interested
- Give me something I haven't seen yet
- Whatever it costs me to make the prints (no one ever asks for prints)
- Understanding that the pics may look good, but they're not going to get you a yob. (I don't shoot to spec.)
- Beer or diet soda (optional)

Eh. . .no prices?? Hmmm

Aug 23 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
4 hour shoot
3-5 different looks
no makeup artist
no wardrobe stylist
no hair stylist

Eh. . .no prices?? Hmmm

I would charge if you wanted portfolio pics or pics of your own design.. But I'm also honest, so instead of rates I usually say, find a better photographer.

Aug 23 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Matos Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
4 hour shoot
3-5 different looks
no makeup artist
no wardrobe stylist
no hair stylist

*I would say between $450 till $600................... The make up is seperate............

Aug 23 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

my non-commercial rates, for your reference

1/2 day
2 hair/mu looks
3 wardrobe changes
2 color corrected & basic retouched high-resolution files of each setup (headshot, full, 3/4, profiles, rear)

sitting fee - $1,250
wardrobe stylist - $750
makeup artist - $250
hair stylist - $250

full day
4 hair/mu looks
6 wardrobe changes
2 color corrected & basic retouched high-resolution files of each setup (headshot, full, 3/4, profiles, rear)

sitting fee - $1,750
wardrobe stylist - $1500
makeup artist - $350
hair stylist - $350

travel expenses, major props, other special requests are extra. additional selects @ $125 each.

Aug 23 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

oldguysrule wrote:

1/2 day
2 hair/mu looks
3 wardrobe changes

sitting fee - $1,250
wardrobe stylist - $750
makeup artist - $250
hair stylist - $250

full day
4 hair/mu looks
6 wardrobe changes

sitting fee - $1,750
wardrobe stylist - $1500
makeup artist - $350
hair stylist - $350

travel expenses, major props, other special requests are extra. additional selects @ $125 each.

Hey...I remember 1994 too!

Aug 23 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

$500., in my studio.

Aug 23 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Meehan Photography wrote:
Hey...I remember 1994 too!

nah '94 i didn't do model testing, except for a few favors. would have been 3x the rate if i had. good thing i dont have to function on a volume basis, i guess. oddly i turn down work. maybe you all are undercutting yourselves?

Aug 23 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

oldguysrule wrote:

1/2 day
2 hair/mu looks
3 wardrobe changes

sitting fee - $1,250
wardrobe stylist - $750
makeup artist - $250
hair stylist - $250

full day
4 hair/mu looks
6 wardrobe changes

sitting fee - $1,750
wardrobe stylist - $1500
makeup artist - $350
hair stylist - $350

Gee, what is it with people who can not answer a simple question directly.

Old guy: you forgot to post the price of green tea in china.

Aug 23 06 03:24 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

oldguysrule wrote:

1/2 day
2 hair/mu looks
3 wardrobe changes

sitting fee - $1,250
wardrobe stylist - $750
makeup artist - $250
hair stylist - $250

full day
4 hair/mu looks
6 wardrobe changes

sitting fee - $1,750
wardrobe stylist - $1500
makeup artist - $350
hair stylist - $350

OUCH!

Aug 23 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
4 hour shoot
3-5 different looks
no makeup artist
no wardrobe stylist
no hair stylist

Somewhere between $0 and "Priceless"

It really depends Jayne, you'll have to ask specific photographers in areas where you're looking to go.

What you're asking for would cost somewhere around $400 in pure costs, so if it was *your* shoot and *your* 3-5 looks as specified by you then we're talking about $1100 for the day.  If on the other hand it's a shoot where it's something *I* had planned and am just looking to use someone with your look and I happen to cover between 3-5 looks for you, then we're probably only talking about printing the images at cost for you which would just cost you the printing of about $100

so, it just depends on circumstances, model, photographer, and project.

Aug 23 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Jayne Jones wrote:
OUCH!

understood. i wouldnt have posted at all but to give you an idea of the high-end.
i'm very sure you can find good photographers with rates that dont bite quite as hard.
cheers!

Aug 23 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

If you come to LA, look me up.  I'd like to make some art with you.

Aug 23 06 03:30 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

James Jackson wrote:
Somewhere between $0 and "Priceless"

It really depends Jayne, you'll have to ask specific photographers in areas where you're looking to go.

What you're asking for would cost somewhere around $400 in pure costs, so if it was *your* shoot and *your* 3-5 looks as specified by you then we're talking about $1100 for the day.  If on the other hand it's a shoot where it's something *I* had planned and am just looking to use someone with your look and I happen to cover between 3-5 looks for you, then we're probably only talking about printing the images at cost for you which would just cost you the printing of about $100

so, it just depends on circumstances, model, photographer, and project.

Thanks for the feedback dearie.  What part about my post was vague?  I thought I was very specific.  I stated how long, who was involved, and a desired end result.  What did I miss?

Aug 23 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

oldguysrule wrote:

understood. i wouldnt have posted at all but to give you an idea of the high-end.
i'm very sure you can find good photographers with rates that dont bite quite as hard.
cheers!

Circuit boards and Thermal windows pay me that much, but models don't. ;(

Aug 23 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Thanks for the feedback dearie.  What part about my post was vague?  I thought I was very specific.  I stated how long, who was involved, and a desired end result.  What did I miss?

Wasn't vague at all Jayne... and I know you don't like me all that much, but I'm giving you an honest answer.  It's the market that's vague... certain photographers are willing to work for free if they like a model and/or like the concept she's trying to get done...so it's really just going to be different from one photographer to the next.

As I said, your specifications were exacting enough for me to say I'd charge $1100 for that particular shoot... your concepts, and 3-5 looks plus the prints.

Aug 23 06 03:35 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

James Jackson wrote:
Wasn't vague at all Jayne... and I know you don't like me all that much, but I'm giving you an honest answer.  It's the market that's vague... certain photographers are willing to work for free if they like a model and/or like the concept she's trying to get done...so it's really just going to be different from one photographer to the next.

As I said, your specifications were exacting enough for me to say I'd charge $1100 for that particular shoot... your concepts, and 3-5 looks plus the prints.

Not true at all James. . .I ADORE you. . .I've proposed several times.

Aug 23 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
4 hour shoot
3-5 different looks
no makeup artist
no wardrobe stylist
no hair stylist

Jayne,
For me it would be $450, plus the cost of the prints.  I don't have them figured in.  I work out of my house and have no overhead really right now since my other job pays most the bills... But I'm slowly moving more to photography and as such my prices will increase if I find the need to move to a studio and out of my garage.

So in your travels come down south and grab yourselve a bargin.

By the way I charge the same even if your nekkid smile

peace
john

Aug 23 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

For model work,$750.00 half day rate. Change as many times as you like. MUA and Stylist seperate of course. Take the disc to walmart and prints are 29cent a piece.lol
Full day rate for advertising/commercial work is $2,500 +costs,fees,permits etc. And its always the etc that gets you/me.

Aug 23 06 11:13 pm Link